• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Development Camp Roster Released

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Development camp starts on Wednesday and runs through Saturday. The 5:30 sessions on Wednesday and Thursday are open to the public, the prospect game is on Saturday at noon, in conjunction with Summerfest.

All of the 2016 and 2017 draftees will be there, as well as other "old timers" like Foegele, Roy, Stevens, Smallman, Cotton and Booth. There are 5 camp invitees, 4 from college and 1 from the OHL. All of our drafted college players will be there too...Zimmer, Filipe, Luke Martin, Jack Lafontaine, etc.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-announce-development-camp-roster/c-290158218

http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/290158606/binary-file/file.pdf

Development camp starts on Wednesday and runs through Saturday. The 5:30 sessions on Wednesday and Thursday are open to the public, the prospect game is on Saturday at noon, in conjunction with Summerfest.

All of the 2016 and 2017 draftees will be there, as well as other "old timers" like Foegele, Roy, Stevens, Smallman, Cotton and Booth. There are 5 camp invitees, 4 from college and 1 from the OHL. All of our drafted college players will be there too...Zimmer, Filipe, Luke Martin, Jack Lafontaine, etc.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-announce-development-camp-roster/c-290158218

http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/290158606/binary-file/file.pdf

I'm going to go for a look see at the kids on Saturday for the prospect game and the used equipment sale. It's pretty much a Holiday weekend with 4th of July just around the corner so it may be a lighter turn out than years past since this camp is a tad earlier this year.

Maybe its just me but watching some of the player interviews from the dev camp and I can't help but notice, is it just me or does it look like Baked Jeans has matured quite a bit since we drafted him only last season? Not physically, but seems more mature to me.

Since I didn't make either of the two practices so far nor plan to make the Saturday scrimmage, I made time this morning to stream the closed 11 AM practice to a large-screen TV and take a look for myself. Except for maybe a 5-10 minute blackout early on, the stream was of good quality (TV-level, not fuzzy) and the camera angles good. Plus, they had names and numbers on our draftee's jerseys (invitees work blank jerseys), so much easier to figure out who was who than previous years when only a development camp number was on the helmet and we were all scrambling for roster sheets and missing the action.

One-hour practice was high-paced and structured as they went through several drills involving real game experiences: one-on-ones, two-on-twos, three-on-twos, F-to-D and D-to-F breakout transitions, etc. Was very good for beginning to reveal who has what. So, here's some random impressions:

Necas (12th overall 2017): talent is very evident...skates effortlessly...puck control noticeable...only Martin could stop him, but Martin stopped everyone

Luostarinen (2nd round 2017): another good skater who is comfortable with the puck...did not fare as well as Necas in the one-on-one drills although I didn't catch who was on him.

Martin (3rd round 2017): real deal...no one could handle him during the one-on-one and two-on-two battles...he just erased them.

Geekie (4th round 2017: excellent puck-handling skills, especially close-in to the net...fared well in battling drills due to strong puck possession.

Mattheos (6th round 2107): great hands, good skater, pesky with the put-backs even if first shot missed...I see why they had interest.

Some other observations regarding the former draft years that were in attendance, mostly '15 and '16, but Foegele ('14) was also there:

Smallman (6th round 2016, captain of St. John Seadogs w/Gauthier and Booth): really heady hockey plays just drip off this guy...quite the determined scorer...not sure how much of this will translate upward, but if he can handle the action he's the kind of player you want on your team.

Gauthier (2nd round 2016): noticeable and did well in the battle drills...signature move is the high-speed sweep down the wall with a hook toward the goal...but, can it translate and/or be diversified?...lot of momentum with that much mass moving with that much velocity...and that's before the net front battles begin.

Roy (4th round 2015): I now see what those that have watched Roy more than me are saying about his skating...needs work...great skill evident in battles and when on the move...but, like Rask before him, he appears to need work on his straight-line acceleration (now labored and subpar) and maneuverability, including stop/start...Rask added that layer and hopefully so can Roy...otherwise, he's got the skill package all right.

Kuokkanen (3rd round 2015): I saw him, but wasn't all that noticeable...a bit tentative in the battles, but again, didn't see who he was up against...fast with good puck-handling skills.

Cotton (8th round 2015): hey, I noticed him...and in a good way, like you want...did several very good hockey things during the drills.

Foegele (4th round 2014): ditto

Here's the development camp roster.

I liked what I saw from Smallman in the Memorial Cup a lot. Like you say, he's got VERY evident hockey sense and plays with a lot of poise under pressure. Really good with the puck in traffic, wins a lot of wall battles. He didn't look great in his own end and has a lot of developing to do, but the kid looked like a future NHLer of some kind to me.

Martin must have grown into his game a bit since I've seen him last. He didn't make any impression on me at all, which would be unusual for a Defenseman of any quality. Good to hear.

Back