• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs sign Karl Alzner to five-year, $23.125 million deal

What's Hollands deal

2 years, league minimum..... 2 way contract in year 1, 1-way in year 2.

The one-way in year two is the poison pill that helps get these guys through waivers and makes small market teams think twice about a waiver claim.

I don't get that, why would they offer a 1 year deal to an ahl player?

Edit: I mean one way deal.

poison pill to avoid small market teams who can't afford to bury salary from grabbing him.

if you grab him it better be for your NHL team. Takes away the option of some small teams to have a backup plan to try him and if it doesn't work we waive him in a month and send him to the AHL at a cheaper salary.

Berkshire shit on Berg and Alzner:

Impressions are subject to change quite a bit if the Canadiens can find a way to bring back Alex Radulov and Andrei Markov, and especially if they can sign Alex Galchenyuk to a reasonable deal, but those are all big ifs at this point in time.

The Canadiens made a couple good depth signings for the newly minted Laval Rocket, but they also bit on arguably the most dangerous contract of the free agency period with Karl Alzner.

Alzner hasn’t had a particularly strong season relative to his teammates in pushing the needle in terms of possession or goals for and against since 2011-12. Even if you are hesitant to judge a player who plays on a team as strong as Washington has been too harshly, you have to take into account the kind of player he is.

Alzner is a rugged, defensive defenseman who lays it all on the line for his team. But he doesn’t drive offence and doesn’t really suppress opponents’ offence to a critical degree. He plays relatively tough minutes, but not brutal ones in a mostly-second pairing role. Alzner also almost never misses time due to injury; he just plays through it all in pain, something hockey people absolutely love, but is often not the best course of action for a long career.

Players similar to him in style, role, and injury history in recent years were Dan Girardi and Josh Gorges. Alzner isn’t old at 28, but both Gorges and Girardi fell off cliffs when it comes to even strength performance around 29-years-old.

That’s a scary proposition for a player you just committed five years to at second pairing money. What’s worse is if the Canadiens fail to bring back Markov, Alzner will be forced to likely play first pairing minutes, further hurting his ability to be a positive contributor.

The most confusing part of the move is that he doesn’t exactly address a need for the team; they’re loaded with relatively immobile, defensive defencemen, and are desperate for puck movers. It almost looks like the Canadiens are trying to build a wall of shot blockers around Carey Price, which seems like a major waste of resources.

Alzner.png

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/free-agency-winners-losers-canadiens-take-big-risk-alzner/

Alzner has never played alongside anyone as good as Weber. Also, it's not a given that offence has to be generated from the back end with puck moving defencemen. There's more than one way to skin that cat.

Frankly I've always believed that the back end is the least of our worries. We have Price. What we need more of is offence on the top six, particularly down the middle.

Is Hanzel still available?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hanzal went to Dallas.

The best remaining free agent centre at this point is probably Stephane da Costa, who failed badly in his last NHL stint with Ottawa. He looked great in Russia and at the World Championships.

This is more to say that there are no good Centres available than it is to advocate for Da Costa, cause I'd only give him 2 million max.

The Habs best options for a top 6 Centre remain Galchenyuk and Drouin.

Dallas top 3 C : Seguin-Spezza-Hanzal

Someone tell me if Seguin is any better in his zone than Chuckie ? Maybe, but not by a mile ?

Dallas top 3 C : Seguin-Spezza-Hanzal

Someone tell me if Seguin is any better in his zone than Chuckie ? Maybe, but not by a mile ?
Even Aaron Ward was calling 27 a disaster in his own zone. My thought is that Aaron Ward's career was a disaster.

Back