• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

J Will Is Back

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Multiple tweets say Justin Williams is signing with the Canes on a 2 year deal. Announcement at 12:30 per Aaron Ward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Commodore‏ @commie22 14 minutes ago

Justin Williams....OFFICIAL..2 year deal...#PackYourShit and take it back to the Research Triangle. The Hurricanes await.

Gotta love Commie and his #PackYourShit channel! :lol:

When was the last time the Hurricanes signed one of the bigger name available UFAs on the first day of free agency??

Not a terrible signing (IMO) we needed to hit the cap floor. (done) We needed a Veteran. (Done) and the term is right so our young D can get their deals.

Not to shabby.

JW tired of playoff hockey?

Ha! Yes, needs the longer off-season for R & R.

As a former Plymouth Whaler, he's a legacy. Certainly knows all of what passes for the management level around here.

Great addition. Fills a real need on the RW depth chart, provides a strong locker room component, and the two-year deal is just right for us.

Welcome home, Justin. And, yes, #14 is available.

Last edited:
JWillie brings experience, veteran leadership, a history of 20+ assists for the past seven seasons, was a 24 goal scorer last year and takes pressure off some of the younger guys to carry the load. He is so patient with the puck on his stick. I don't think you go wrong with this signing.

This signing will provide a lot of feel good press and nostalgia in addition to hopefully 40-50 points. Hopefully just signing Williams will sell some additional tickets this season.

Maybe Justin can help bring some magic to this team. A veteran, great personality and he can score goals. This isn't the answer to our problems, but it's a good move, especially considering the lack of top-line centers available. I just hope Ronnie's not done.

RF has made four solid off season moves-- signing Darling (overhaul goaltending); unloaded Smurphy and Lack; added Justin Willimas; and, brought in TVR to settle on that 3rd pairing defense. These are needed moves and our team has just improved. The recycling of JW does not feel like what JR used to do. And by the way, the Blackhawks have just surpassed Rutherford as the kings of recycling.

Last edited:
I think we are done too. This fits the exact pattern I had been predicting, sign one winger to a big enough contract to get us to the cap floor and call it an offseason. Ronnie also for some reason decided we needed a 4th line sort of center too in Jooris which to me could have been better solutioned by having Wallmark fight for Ryan's 3rd line center spot. But alas, Ronnie apparently feels we are better served with a 'no offensive skill' 4th line center. We will see if that all plays out that way when camp opens and these kids are all fighting to make the NHL squad when there are no open spots not already occupied by players on 1 way NHL deals.

Last edited:
On this I agree but i expect that we are "done"

Sadly we're done! No center help coming in, that will come back to bite over the course of the year, especially if Rask or Staal go down to injury. JWill is a great add for the team in several ways but that elusive center remains elusive I guess.

Back