• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Josh Jooris

Ok, so barring some big trade that is probably it for the Canes. Here is how the lineup looks now:

Skinner-Rask-Williams
Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Teravainen-Ryan-Stempniak
McGinn-Jooris-Nordstrom/PDG

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-TVR
Dahlbeck

Darling/Ward

PDG isn't yet signed of course. Without PDG the other 21 players along with our buyouts get us to $54.7 million. So we would either need to change the mix further or add a 13th forward with a cap hit of at least $700k and we are just above the cap floor (of course if we carry 14 forwards or 8 Den we get to the floor easily. If we do re-sign PDG, our forward ranks sudden have little room for any rookies without moving some of those 13 forwards I listed out.

Last edited:
Here a are a few things to note about Jooris:

* He has PK experience, averaging a little under 2 minutes per game with Zona last season. The Rangers didn't use him on the PK

* He played mostly 4th line center for Arizona after he was claimed off waivers from the Rangers last year. His Faceoff% was 49.1% for Zona over 42 games

I'm not quite sure why Ronnie felt that this signing was necessary. He's a low cost 4th line guy who can play wing or center and kill some penalties. I guess he is our McClement replacement.

Forward wise I really didn't see a lot of space for this year. Next year I expect a few more openings w/o injuries. I expect we resign PDG and are a cap floor team this year.

Jooris is a bit of a head scratcher acquisition... Place holder for Walmark or Roy? Wanting competition in camp?

Jooris is a bit of a head scratcher acquisition... Place holder for Walmark or Roy? Wanting competition in camp?

Head scratcher indeed. A plug fourth liner that is taking away an NHL roster spot from a more deserving kid! Williams signing was a ray of sunshine and then this...meh!

Read a pretty glowing report on this guy from someone that had actually watched him play in Calgary.

Good defensively, can chip in offensively and had that role in college, high effort, another depth right shot, can play center or wing. Has about a 50% NHL FO% which Brindy can no doubt improve.

Let Wallmark earn his slot and/or be a bit more improved when called upon for injury replacement duty. Jooris also looks like he could be shifted to RW if necessary to backfill that spot.

Hopefully Jooris is all that because the numbers says we just added another McGinn, PDG, Nordstrom type and now have 13 forwards with now rookies amongst them. That's fine as long as long as the guys who are in the lineup are bringing the goods. I suspect that if we really open the season with NO rookie forwards, it won't take long before one or 2 of them just go off in Charlotte and force the Canes to make room for them. Not a bad place to be.

I'm OK with this. None of our kids really belong on fourth line duty aside from McGinn and PDG. Personally, I want no part of Wallmark or Roy burning time on the fourth line getting limited minutes in a limited role when they could be playing in meaningful roles in the minors and actually developing their game. Jooris is a versatile, proven NHL grinder who plays fast and should fit the systems well. A more versatile replacement for McClement and Stallberg on the depth lines. I get it.

We signed him for $775k. The Leafs signed Dominic Moore to be their 4C for 1 year/$1 million. Couldn't we have spent a little more to get a lot more?

We signed him for $775k. The Leafs signed Dominic Moore to be their 4C for 1 year/$1 million. Couldn't we have spent a little more to get a lot more?

I'm not sure I get your comparison...there is a ten-year ago gap between these two.

Meh. Moore doesn't look like he's got that much left in the tank. He was still cantankerous but not nearly as effective overall as a few years ago. I even saw him have several really bad nights in the face-off circle. Methinks he's done.

Who would you rather have as 4C, Jooris at $775k or Moore at say $1.5 or 1.75 million?

Not sure...and neither has me very excited. I kind of lean towards Jooris simply because there is potentially more upside. With Moore, you know what you're going to get.

Jooris being able to slide into play center or the wing is likely why the Canes scooped him up. I agree with Cmal's earlier comments that it seems like a guy like Nordstrom or PDG might be the odd man out with an abundance of bottom 6 forwards if any of the kids have a great camp (Wallmark, Saarella, Roy) and were to make the big club out of camp.

Given how well Nordstrom played at the Worlds, I suspect we could actually get something for him if we decide he's surplus to requirements here. He was VERY good on Sweden's checking line. As good as I've ever seen him.

Given how well Nordstrom played at the Worlds, I suspect we could actually get something for him if we decide he's surplus to requirements here. He was VERY good on Sweden's checking line. As good as I've ever seen him.

I agree JB, he was all over the ice, bigger ice mind you, but he was very valuable for them winning the Gold!

I'm wondering if this discussion is part of the reason why PDG doesn't have a contract yet beyond the qualifying offer. It doesn't make sense to give PDG a 1 way deal if you are the Canes. Right now as the roster sits, PDG is at best the 13th forward on the NHL roster. Considering all of the young talented options piling up behind him, PDG might not even be good enough to justify an NHL roster spot. That means he is not worthy of anything but a 1 year 2 way contract. I suspect his agent doesn't like that very much, but that is where he sits right now.

If any kid cracks the roster, then depending on who it is and if our entire set of forwards is healthy, one of Jooris, McGinn or Nordstrom is going to be an extra pushing PDG even farther away from the NHL lineup. You would think that Nordstrom and McGinn have the strongest cases to be on our 4th line and Jooris would be the odd man out...but Jooris can play center and the other 2 really can't. Then you get into the discussion about Derek Ryan playing 4th line center and the rookie that made the team playing in the top 9 and then figuring out what the means top the rest of 4th line.

I don't think the Canes will move Nordstrom, as he has proven he can slide up and down the lineup. Same with McGinn.

This will all get worked out in training camp, but PDG should not get a 1 way deal with the Canes at this point and I expect Ronnie will see it that way too. PDG could also be trade bait, but I suspect he has very little value in the trade market.

Last edited:
Back