• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The what now thread...

If I couldn't get a long term option on D via trade, and wanted a 1 year stop gap in the event that I couldn't get Markov at a reasonable cap hit/term... Brian Campbell was paid $1.5M last year. He has played 80+ games the last 4 years and has scored 39 less points over that time with limited to no PP time. Save the 4M+ and spend it elsewhere or spend it at the deadline.

Not ideal, but not awful IMO.

Then there's a problem....Sherbak should have been ready, injuries or not.

His talent is great....he's a scorer....you develop him into a scorer, not a reliable 2-way player. I know what they did, Bergy explained it....they coach their AHL team to follow the organization system so that when they graduate, they fit into the team perfectly. And that's the problem...you are trying to teach them Lemaire system....no shit none of them graduated in past 5 years. You shut down all creativity....
Hes 21

Every year we hear how bad the Habs are going to be. They've won the division 3 of the last 5 seasons. I'm truly not worried about the team for next season as long as Price is healthy.

If I couldn't get a long term option on D via trade, and wanted a 1 year stop gap in the event that I couldn't get Markov at a reasonable cap hit/term... Brian Campbell was paid $1.5M last year. He has played 80+ games the last 4 years and has scored 39 less points over that time with limited to no PP time. Save the 4M+ and spend it elsewhere or spend it at the deadline.

Not ideal, but not awful IMO.
Campbell sucked last year.

The hawks had to put him in the press box... use him at forward and find other creative ways to shelter him.

Im not interested in that.

Just give markov his one year deal at 6 million.

The hawks had to put him in the press box... use him at forward and find other creative ways to shelter him.

No one is going to give Markov two years, it seems.

Not sugesting this is a Markov replacement...

Has there been an update on Simon Despres? Is he done?

1 year 6M doesn't appeal to me either.

And who are we competeing against? Nobody is giving Markov 2 years. Who else is paying Markov $6M for 1 year?

Not sugesting this is a Markov replacement...

Has there been an update on Simon Despres? Is he done?
The last thing i saw is that his buyout included an extra settlement approved by the nhl/nhlpa so he wouldnt grieve it for being hurt still.

The impact #1 center we need is Tavares. Bergevin needs to align his cap to be in position to make a play for him when he becomes UFA in a year. Of course, he could always offer sheet Drisaitl but we know that will never happen.

If he wants someone decent for this season he'll have to swing a deal for RNH.

I am simply amazed at how people quickly forget how sublime Markov's passing really is. Even last season he made some slick outlet passes and O zone tosses that made us go "wow". He'll be missed, there is nobody on D on this team that can even come close to his passing ability.
I am well aware of Markov's elite hockey IQ and puck moving skills- they will be sorely missed on the Habs D should he not return. Fact remains however, even with Markov's passing skills the Habs PP has been piss poor last few seasons.

Drouin' QBing ability on the PP is also exceptional, plus his lateral mobility and speed are far superior to Markov's in the present. Only stated Markov's loss on the PP will not be as great and in fact the Habs PP may improve due to Drouin's mobility & QB capability.

Ideally want Drouin and Markov (at the right cap hit & term) back.

1 year 6M doesn't appeal to me either.

And who are we competeing against? Nobody is giving Markov 2 years. Who else is paying Markov $6M for 1 year?
I have no issues w paying Markov $6M or even $6.5M but it has to be 1-year with $3M-$4M in bonuses; make that money payable at signing of contract if need be - limit actual cap hit to max $3M.

With Galchenyuk & Markov signed for a combined cap hit of $8M opens up potential to address the 50+ points of not resigning Radulov using the $6M of free cap space by targeting a cap dump team using only picks as trade bait - (assuming $1M of margin and Plekanec's $6M remain)

Every year we hear how bad the Habs are going to be. They've won the division 3 of the last 5 seasons. I'm truly not worried about the team for next season as long as Price is healthy.

The concern is always the playoffs.

As we've witnessed on several occasions it's hard to address needs in season.

This is when MB should be addressing the needs we have.

You use the trade deadline to get depth and complimentary players as the top end players hardly get moved in season.

If he doesn't improve the team at center by getting a legit #2 center at worse I have no hope he will be able to do that during the year

But this year we don't have the Dolt's genius to power us to his incredible patented amazing season starts

Back