• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs re-sign Alex Galchenyuk to three-year, $14.7 million deal

I agree to disagree. I also agree that MB would be an idiot if he could have signed Galchenyuk for 4M for 5 years and refused to do so.

Yeah, very few young guys who sign long term deals have taken amounts that small. I don't remember the exact arguments, but I'm pretty sure we would have been over-thrilled to sign him to that price. Maybe 5x4.5, but even that is less than pretty much everyone else in his same situation. We're all talking about how good a deal Drouin signed, and he's in virtually the same spot as AG would have been for his last deal.

Yeah, very few young guys who sign long term deals have taken amounts that small. I don't remember the exact arguments, but I'm pretty sure we would have been over-thrilled to sign him to that price. Maybe 5x4.5, but even that is less than pretty much everyone else in his same situation. We're all talking about how good a deal Drouin signed, and he's in virtually the same spot as AG would have been for his last deal.

Except Drouin has a far better season under his belt than AG did 2 years ago.

Let's put aside the fact Galchenyuk was drafted to be a center.

Let's assume he is a winger.....

A 23 year old winger with a 30-goal season under his belt, with his talent, don't player like that get extended to more than 3 years ? Sure we can make the excuse that Chuckie wanted the 3 years, but money talks, and Habs could've made a 5-6 year deal work. There is no danger here....worst case, he's an elite winger....best case, he is a center. Win-win, no ?

Only in Habsland do we shit on our own like this....

I'll "worry" about 27's next contract in two years. He could have gone to arb. This is much better. Three years in sports is an eternity.

Guys in the last 25 years that the team wanted to keep that left as UFAs

Radulov
Komisarek
Souray (and this one is debateable).

Players leaving as UFAs hasn't been the Habs problem.

Radulov
Komisarek

No it hasn't but Brad never lets facts derail his agenda.

Radulov
Komisarek

We only had a few players worth keeping , many others we were too stupid to not move them sooner

Teams who re-sign their own UFAs also have an advantage in that they can tender a maximum of an 8-year deal versus the rest of who can go a maximum of 7. It will help us if it comes down to it.

I have no problem with a shorter deal here. I love Galchenyuk but he's not quite the franchise forward.

Radulov is really the first guy we wanted to keep, and tried to keep, that left.

It's true. That's why it's a disappoint. I'd love to hear MB negotiate contracts. If his attitude towards the press is any indication, I doubt he has the tactical empathy that great negotiators possess.

On the other hand, Radulov is a mercenary and all the love he declared for the city was no match for the 8% surtax.

That's a different story. Your point was that we let a lot of UFA's leave for nothing. It's not accurate.

Gainey did but Bergevin's asset management is much better. And he's a harder worker, and has better assistants than goatfuk.....so there's hope.

It's true. That's why it's a disappoint. I'd love to hear MB negotiate contracts. If his attitude towards the press is any indication, I doubt he has the tactical empathy that great negotiators possess.

On the other hand, Radulov is a mercenary and all the love he declared for the city was no match for the 8% surtax.

According to Alzner, Bergevin is a great negotiator/talker.....Bergy made him laugh for 2 hours, and Alzner signed on the dotted lines.......ohhhh and we gave him the 5th year

According to Alzner, Bergevin is a great negotiator/talker.....Bergy made him laugh for 2 hours, and Alzner signed on the dotted lines.......ohhhh and we gave him the 5th year

Alzner has a hard on for the Habs. I'm not saying he was insincere but his conference call could have been scripted by Geoff's pr person. To recap.

-- Montreal is the centre of the hockey universe
-- Team is awesome
-- Training facilities are unlike anything he's ever seen
-- You can tell Geoff is committed to winning

Alzner has a hard on for the Habs. I'm not saying he was insincere but his conference call could have been scripted by Geoff's pr person. To recap.

-- Montreal is the centre of the hockey universe
-- Team is awesome
-- Training facilities are unlike anything he's ever seen
-- You can tell Geoff is committed to winning

You forgot the helicopter ride over Iles Jean Drapeau

Back