Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

  1. #21
    Legend Guibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    22,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    The entire first is just a big money grabber. Both fighter aggreed to this fight for only 2 reasons. Money and because the fight means ****ing nothing for anyone who will lose. Also, Let's not kid ourself, Mayweather is the pussy and he will won this fight because it's an actual boxing match. McGregor must be hungry for money to accept this fight where he has no chance of winning this. If this was a MMA fight, McGregor would win this one but since we have to follow boxing rules, Mayweather will have another easy, lucrative fight.

  2. #22
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    McGregor is a smart business man, and he understands the entertainment part of the sport and plays it better than anybody else. He has the incredible ability of making people care for his fights even though he's not that great.

  3. #23
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    not quite the same

    more like phelps you won the butterfly why not try the backstroke
    Not at all. Both of those events are done in a pool, with the same water, same length, same lanes, same everything except the technique of swimming.

    Boxing & MMA are fundamentally different in virtually every way. Different striking, different playing field, everything's different. The only thing they have in common is that they're fighting.

    Another comparison would be taking the fastest wide receiver in the NFL and asking him to race Usain Bolt.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  4. #24
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    Think it would be worth seeing an event live?
    UFC comes to edmonton in september.
    Dépends who's on the card, but I would say probably not unless you want to "feel" the live experience. It's otherwise better just staying home or going to a bar.

    If you do go, the Francis Ngannou - Junior dos Santos fight is going to be fireworks.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  5. #25
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Not at all. Both of those events are done in a pool, with the same water, same length, same lanes, same everything except the technique of swimming.

    Boxing & MMA are fundamentally different in virtually every way. Different striking, different playing field, everything's different. The only thing they have in common is that they're fighting.

    Another comparison would be taking the fastest wide receiver in the NFL and asking him to race Usain Bolt.
    Much closer than your comparison.

    Most MMA guys practice multiple combat styles.

    I've got Conor in 4.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ...

  6. #26
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    Much closer than your comparison.

    Most MMA guys practice multiple combat styles.

    I've got Conor in 4.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Your comparison doesn't hold up because all high level swimmers compete in multiple styles.

    Boxers who go try MMA (& vice versa) are ripped to pieces unless they get years upon years of training ahead of time, that training which will make them much less proficient in their original sport as they will neglect it. Phelps trains multiple types of swimming because they are very similar.

    Boxing & MMA aren't similar at all.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  7. #27
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Your comparison doesn't hold up because all high level swimmers compete in multiple styles.

    Boxers who go try MMA (& vice versa) are ripped to pieces unless they get years upon years of training ahead of time, that training which will make them much less proficient in their original sport as they will neglect it. Phelps trains multiple types of swimming because they are very similar.

    Boxing & MMA aren't similar at all.
    sure

    still much closer than basketball vs football
    ...

  8. #28
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Dépends who's on the card, but I would say probably not unless you want to "feel" the live experience. It's otherwise better just staying home or going to a bar.

    If you do go, the Francis Ngannou - Junior dos Santos fight is going to be fireworks.
    Ya. I am guessing it will be like the outdoor games. Cool novelty but not much for actually watching the event.

    I will see how much tickets are and decide based on that.
    ...

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    17,510
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Guibs View Post
    The entire first is just a big money grabber. Both fighter aggreed to this fight for only 2 reasons. Money and because the fight means ****ing nothing for anyone who will lose. Also, Let's not kid ourself, Mayweather is the pussy and he will won this fight because it's an actual boxing match. McGregor must be hungry for money to accept this fight where he has no chance of winning this. If this was a MMA fight, McGregor would win this one but since we have to follow boxing rules, Mayweather will have another easy, lucrative fight.
    I could be wrong but CM may make more in this fight than what he could earn for the rest of his MMA career , how do you say no for 10-15 minutes of retirement money.

    He will lose but FM rarely knocks anyone out anymore but CM is one tough SOB and his ability to take a beating is higher than Floyd.

    If he can fight with good pose and guarding technique he could prolong the match .

  10. #30
    Legend HabsFan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Canada
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Even tho I hate the idea of this fight. I'll give my two cents. From a guy who has trained multi disciplines. I honestly don't see any way CM wins unless he lands a lucky shot. Which is totally possible. But probably the biggest difference I have noticed between sparing with mma/boxing folk is the cardio. Boxers just seem like they can go on forever. CM is in great shape but it takes a long time to build up that style of cardio and learning how to not blow your steam in the first few rounds. I predict he will come out strong in the first two rounds. Then you will see him slow a bit and Floyd being able to start landing his counter punches pretty easy. But I will see on the highlights as I won't be purchasing this event for sure.

  11. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    39,727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    TSN showed both of them hitting the punching bag a couple of weeks back and it looked like one guy was a pro and the other had just started to box that week.

    I think CM will do something goofy that will likely result in a DQ. I think he will be too wired not to get his legs involved when FM starts laying into him.

    I know some hate the promotion going on but I laugh at it. CM is certainly gifted at that task and FM is just an A-Hole who deserves it.

    I have absolutely zero intention on ordering the fight but then I'm the guy who spends nothing on Rogers to watch the same games they took away from me when they cut-off RDS. **** all these shams.

  12. #32
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by HabsFan1 View Post
    Even tho I hate the idea of this fight. I'll give my two cents. From a guy who has trained multi disciplines. I honestly don't see any way CM wins unless he lands a lucky shot. Which is totally possible. But probably the biggest difference I have noticed between sparing with mma/boxing folk is the cardio. Boxers just seem like they can go on forever. CM is in great shape but it takes a long time to build up that style of cardio and learning how to not blow your steam in the first few rounds. I predict he will come out strong in the first two rounds. Then you will see him slow a bit and Floyd being able to start landing his counter punches pretty easy. But I will see on the highlights as I won't be purchasing this event for sure.
    Reason for that is there's a much bigger emphasis on strength in MMA than boxing.

    There's also not enough time in a day to do everything.

    Boxing has two weapons, a left hand & right hand and then you mix in cardio & strength conditioning.

    MMA has hands, elbows, knees, feet, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and then you also have to mix in strength & conditioning.

    It's an incredibly difficult sport to get good at, much moreso than boxing.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  13. #33
    Legend HabsFan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Canada
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Reason for that is there's a much bigger emphasis on strength in MMA than boxing.

    There's also not enough time in a day to do everything.

    Boxing has two weapons, a left hand & right hand and then you mix in cardio & strength conditioning.

    MMA has hands, elbows, knees, feet, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and then you also have to mix in strength & conditioning.

    It's an incredibly difficult sport to get good at, much moreso than boxing.
    Oh trust me I know how hard it is training for MMA. Lol

  14. #34
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    I remember going to Cage Aux Sports with a guy who was nagging me to watch the Mayweather-Pacquaio fight with him, and then he spent pretty much the whole fight staring at the ceiling because he found it more interesting. Guess he's not gonna call me about this one.

  15. #35
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    I could be wrong but CM may make more in this fight than what he could earn for the rest of his MMA career , how do you say no for 10-15 minutes of retirement money.

    He will lose but FM rarely knocks anyone out anymore but CM is one tough SOB and his ability to take a beating is higher than Floyd.

    If he can fight with good pose and guarding technique he could prolong the match .
    That's hard to say, FM has never been knocked out. But he also pretty much never gets hit.

  16. #36
    Legend Habs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41,924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    I think CM was super smart to take this fight. Nevermind the money. FM hasn't KO'd anyone since JFK was the President of the United States. CM may lose on points, but he also may win with a lucky shot. Even if CM loses a unianimous decision and goes the distance (Which I think is waht will happen). He wins.

    Press conference will go like this...

    CM: I went the distance in your arena, let's see if you can go the distance in mine.

    FM: No chance.

  17. #37
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    unless..... $
    ...

  18. #38
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    The only way CM wins this fight is if the fix is in, and that might well be the case. Not much chance of a rematch if FM wins.

    Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  19. #39
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    That's what makes Mayweather great; He's the best at getting suckers to pay to watch someone he'll outclass in a completely boring manner.
    Yep
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  20. #40
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT : 100 Million $ Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Mayweather has never accepted a fight that he didn't know he would win.
    Aka a smart man
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •