• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Slavin, Canes Agree to Seven-Year Extension

We all knew Slavin would get paid...and he did. Interested in the details to see how much he gets in his high pay seasons. With no bridge and that AAV he might be getting $7 millionish a season or 2. Faulk's final 2 years of his current deal go $5.5, $6, $6.

Last edited:
Given this, there was probably never a thought given to pursuing a 1C. There was definitely not room in the budget for both. And I suppose Pesce negotations have to follow, given the parallel career ascent.

Brilliant! I don't like these long-term contracts in general, but I'm OK with this one! It's not a bank-breaker and it gives us real value over what he might be worth in the near future.

We all knew Slavin would get paid...and he did. Interested in the details to see how much he gets in his high pay seasons. With no bridge and that AAV he might be getting $7 millionish a season or 2. Faulk's final 2 years of his current deal go $5.5, $6, $6.

According to Capfriendly, there are no high pay seasons, he gets $5.3 million every year.

NHLnumbers has the same info (at least for now), $5.3M/yr with a $133K bonus in 17-18.

Good value, even if there is no improvement over what we are seeing now. Heck, pretty good value even if there was a slight decline.

Heck of a contract if there is indeed improvement between age 23 and 31, especially since we now have him for the next 8 seasons (!), including 4 UFA years bought out.

Francis setting the team up for long-term sustainable success.

Wow...well I guess the money is the same no matter how its spread but $5.3 million in the first year off his entry deal is a heck of a lot of money. Slavin's new contract is similar to Seth Jones' 2nd contract with 1 more year and $100k less per season. So its in line with what other upper-middle tier Dmen signed for.

Last edited:
Pesce can't be far behind, right? Slavin and Pesce are a heck of a tandem.

Love this contract for Slavin...very solid deal for Canes.

I am still not sold on Pesce as he doesn't look nearly as good when not playing with Slavin. I am good if they decide to wait a while before discussing extension as the Canes need to figure out what they really have this season with Pesce...move him around the pairings to flush it out. They can't afford to make a mistake on a long term contract. I would prefer they focus on Hanifin for the next extension.

I am still not sold on Pesce as he doesn't look nearly as good when not playing with Slavin. I am good if they decide to wait a while before discussing extension as the Canes need to figure out what they really have this season with Pesce...move him around the pairings to flush it out. They can't afford to make a mistake on a long term contract. I would prefer they focus on Hanifin for the next extension.

+1

I think we're going to see Slavin and Pesce together for a while. IMO, the tandem that didn't work was Faulk and Slavin. Peters tried that at the beginning of the season and again after Hainsey was traded and he went back to the familiar. Faulk and Hanifin seemed to develop some chemistry toward the end of the season, so I think that will be the 2nd pair with TVR and TBD as the 3rd pair.

I definitely agree on Pesce. Right now I see an above average Dman but not a guy at the same level as Slavin is at. Slavin/Pesce might be a heck of a pair, but that might be because Slavin is just that good. I would want to wait and see how Pesce looks this year and if he raises his game to another level. Right now he's definitely not a $5+ million AAV long term deal guy....maybe more like a 3 year $9 million guy if he has another good season. To me Pesce is the guy you sign to a mid-season extension not a slam dunk 'get it done before the season starts' guy. Same with Hanifin at this point, I wouldn't want to commit serious dollars and term to Hanifin until we see how he looks for the first part of this coming season.

I agree on the wait and see. I fully expect to see both Pesce and Hanifin take positive steps this season. Faulk will rebound. This is what I've wanted for my beloved Canes ever since you guys educated me on hockey. And to think they are all under 25.

I'm happy to be a Caniac right now.

(plus no more ponytail Pete... I'm giddy)

(If we ever got scoring I'd probably die.)

(Woooo WOO WOO)

I definitely agree on Pesce. Right now I see an above average Dman but not a guy at the same level as Slavin is at. Slavin/Pesce might be a heck of a pair, but that might be because Slavin is just that good. I would want to wait and see how Pesce looks this year and if he raises his game to another level. Right now he's definitely not a $5+ million AAV long term deal guy....maybe more like a 3 year $9 million guy if he has another good season. To me Pesce is the guy you sign to a mid-season extension not a slam dunk 'get it done before the season starts' guy. Same with Hanifin at this point, I wouldn't want to commit serious dollars and term to Hanifin until we see how he looks for the first part of this coming season.

Agreed on all counts. Pesce is a great fit here, not a great all around D-man. He's fine. Hanifin probably doesn't want to commit now anyway, seeing as how a big year would earn him mucho buckos.

Agreed on all counts. Pesce is a great fit here, not a great all around D-man. He's fine. Hanifin probably doesn't want to commit now anyway, seeing as how a big year would earn him mucho buckos.

Back