Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Canes sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canes sold.

Ya 1) he's a columnist (a darn good one), not a beat reporter, so he doesn't have much to do with game stories, and 2) he's not responsible for the penny-pinching business policies of his employer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    Not sure why people are so high on Luke DeCock, his paper does not even bother to run stories in the print edition on Canes home games. Now the home games are treated the same as the west coast games.
    So ... enjoying one column is being "high" on a guy?

And people call me grumpy.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why people are so high on Luke DeCock, his paper does not even bother to run stories in the print edition on Canes home games. Now the home games are treated the same as the west coast games.
    Because he's the ONLY local coverage guy with the balls to call the organization and people out.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if he's smart he should make sure his resume is ready to go since nobody has a safe job there.

But maybe he can start working on the 100 page special edition they will publish when Coach K finally calls it quits. (or maybe he will die on the bench)

BTW not only are they not running Canes stories in print edition they don't even put them on the web. So what is Alexander doing , covering putt putt?

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if he's smart he should make sure his resume is ready to go since nobody has a safe job there.

But maybe he can start working on the 100 page special edition they will publish when Coach K finally calls it quits. (or maybe he will die on the bench)

BTW not only are they not running Canes stories in print edition they don't even put them on the web. So what is Alexander doing , covering putt putt?
    Any decent print reporter is busy trying to get a job with The Athletic, The Ringer, or a host of other sites that have effectively killed the print daily sports media. A group of the best local sports reporters (like DeCock) in the Triangle should group together and pitch The Athletic to cover the Triangle (Canes, Duke, UNC, State) or come up with thier own local platform like www.dkpittsburghsports.com. I am honestly surprised it has not happened yet in the Triangle....at least successfully. People will pay for good local sports content and the Triangle market is there for the taking.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice little breakdown on the Canes sale by Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts segment:

"Letís clear up one thing about the Carolina sale. In the presentation to the governors, the team was valued at US$460 million for 50.01 per cent, and US$550 million for the remaining 49.99 per cent within the next three years. Thatís $230 million now and the possibility of $275 million later. However, it is expected that Dundon actually will be purchasing 52 per cent at this time. The valuations stay the same, but adjust the payment amounts."

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

these sites like the Atlantic are pay sites? I don't see that working but maybe people are willing to pay. There are tons of free sports websites now like ESPN so I am skeptical that people will want to pay for that info. And I know ESPN is a national site , not local.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

these sites like the Atlantic are pay sites? I don't see that working but maybe people are willing to pay. There are tons of free sports websites now like ESPN so I am skeptical that people will want to pay for that info. And I know ESPN is a national site , not local.
    All depends on if you like the "free" national content. You get what you pay. I pay about $3/month for access to a dedicated Pittsburgh sports site and they have 40,000 paying subscribers. As a result they have multiple people following the teams everywhere (road, practice, other events) that provide quality content multiple times per day in real time. That costs money to run and can not be covered by advertising dollars 100%. At some point people will pay for good content at a reasonable rate, especially when your other options are down to shared pool reporters that provide the same generic content to multiple sources and is not that in depth.

I am not sure how long ESPN (or other national sites) will be able to survive as free sites and still provide decent local coverage. Just look at all the cut-backs ESPN has been forced to make over past couple of years as they lose the main revenue (cable subscribers) that paid for the website. Eventually everthing goes full circle and people will be paying some type of onine coverage to replace newspapers. Free is not a sustainable long term business model for most things.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen View Post
    All depends on if you like the "free" national content. You get what you pay. I pay about $3/month for access to a dedicated Pittsburgh sports site and they have 40,000 paying subscribers. As a result they have multiple people following the teams everywhere (road, practice, other events) that provide quality content multiple times per day in real time. That costs money to run and can not be covered by advertising dollars 100%. At some point people will pay for good content at a reasonable rate, especially when your other options are down to shared pool reporters that provide the same generic content to multiple sources and is not that in depth.

I am not sure how long ESPN (or other national sites) will be able to survive as free sites and still provide decent local coverage. Just look at all the cut-backs ESPN has been forced to make over past couple of years as they lose the main revenue (cable subscribers) that paid for the website. Eventually everthing goes full circle and people will be paying some type of onine coverage to replace newspapers. Free is not a sustainable long term business model for most things.
    ESPN already has a pay site, Insider. I think it's free if you're a magazine subscriber but they have a digital only membership too. But I wouldn't expect a national site to have much local coverage. The Athletic bucked the trend by hiring local writers who stayed local.

Look at how many newspaper sites are fully or partially behind a pay wall. The N&O, NY Times, Washington Post, WSJ and many others have limits on the number of free articles per month, usually 10. Then they go behind a pay wall.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good friend in that news room. Trust me ... anybody who's any good and under the age of 60 has been desperately trying to get hired somewhere else for years. There simply are no traditional news room jobs to be had.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

well then I guess they better go to work with a website like the ones mentioned above. Either that or learn to code Java and HTML.

The paper has clearly gone all in with the NFL/Panthers so that's another reason for lack of Canes coverage. Panthers only play 1 game a week but there are articles every day no matter what. BTW I saw an article that quoted the N&O editor and he said there is no guarantee they will even be able to put Final 4 results in the next days paper. And I assume now that applies to super bowl as well since that game also ends well after their 6 pm cutoff.

The N&O paywall is a joke. You can read all you want by using incognito mode in Chrome. They told me they know it's a joke .

Post Thanks / Like

The N&O is a joke. Has ben for many years. It's irrelevant, slow, and terribly staffed. I can't imagine being forced to look at it for sports coverage. I gave up on trying to follow sports via a paper in the early 90s.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516