• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sold.

Re: Letter of Intent to Purchase Canes

Well. Greenberg certainly toured the existing practice facility, so he knows full well the state of that place. Ugh.

I've played there for almost 15 years so I have a soft spot in my heart for the old dump, and Cindy who runs it now is the absolute best, but 100% that place is not suitable for an NHL team

15 years? Time flies.
I remember the day John called me and asked me to meet him at an address on Hodges's street.
We toured the place, it was a bar/dance hall, and determined we could turn it into a couple hockey rinks and outside a roller hockey place and I forgot what else.
It had been a rolller rink prior to being a bar.

15 years? Time flies.
I remember the day John called me and asked me to meet him at an address on Hodges's street.
We toured the place, it was a bar/dance hall, and determined we could turn it into a couple hockey rinks and outside a roller hockey place and I forgot what else.
It had been a rolller rink prior to being a bar.

My daughter went to learn to play there about 14-15 years ago. She had Ryan, not you or Greg. Went through 2 sessions and then joined the U14 girls team.

I've played there for almost 15 years so I have a soft spot in my heart for the old dump, and Cindy who runs it now is the absolute best, but 100% that place is not suitable for an NHL team

It's a palace compared to where some of the other beer leaguers around here play. The inability of Polar (the group that now owns all of the rinks in the Triangle, except for the IcePlex and the complex in Hillsborough) to maintain and invest in these facilities often boggles my mind. Up at the Factory, the big news is that they finally bought a new Olympia that doesn't die once a month!

I guess they don't see the need to invest when they have very little competition from other rinks.

My daughter went to learn to play there about 14-15 years ago. She had Ryan, not you or Greg. Went through 2 sessions and then joined the U14 girls team.

Ryan Schmidt?

We only did LTP for a couple years at the Reczone and can't remember why we didn't continue. low enrollment?

Ryan Schmidt?

We only did LTP for a couple years at the Reczone and can't remember why we didn't continue. low enrollment?

Yep, him. Her 2 classes were pretty full. Ron Francis and Sean Hill had kids in that class.

Yep, him. Her 2 classes were pretty full. Ron Francis and Sean Hill had kids in that class.

We had RF's son, Michael?, at the iceplex, never any of Hills.
At various times we had a plethora of canes kids.

I’m hearing that Greenberg is still building his financing package and that PK is happy to remain king for awhile longer. The time pressure seems to have turned off since the due diligence clearly took longer than they thought.

Since there is clearly no other offer happening any time soon, I guess no news is good news. But I’m concerned with reports that Greenberg doesn’t have his financing settled yet. That’s not good news the way I understand the term.

I can chip in a few hundred for Greenberg's ownership group. He doesn't need to give me a stake or pay me back, just give me 4 center ice season tickets for as long as he "owns" the team and I will call it even.

I can chip in a few hundred for Greenberg's ownership group. He doesn't need to give me a stake or pay me back, just give me 4 center ice season tickets for as long as he "owns" the team and I will call it even.

Maybe if we get a bunch of us to chip in a few hundred each, we can get a Forum Ice box.

I also wonder if pressure is off since folks are feeling more positive about the team and its chances entering the season. I'm guessing if there was a concern about really sucking again, then I'd imagine Karmanos would be willing to sell a bit faster.

I also wonder if pressure is off since folks are feeling more positive about the team and its chances entering the season. I'm guessing if there was a concern about really sucking again, then I'd imagine Karmanos would be willing to sell a bit faster.

That seems like such a Ponytail Pete thing to do!!! All the positive chatter and predictions on the Canes upcoming season and young talent has PK downright giddy to a point of getting cold feet on a sale and holding out for another Cup or upping the price on the team...LOL!!!

The team is poised to be in the black this season. Next to last in payroll...higher season tix base than last year (so they claim), should be a legit playoff contender...expecting more fannies in the seats. If they do make the playoffs that is even more revenue.

Next season with the new Slavin and Pesce contracts and Hanifin, TVR and Lindholm needing to get paid, it will be more of a challenge to break even...especially if they miss the playoffs this season.

PK can wait this out all season...we should be in the black this year.

But I’m concerned with reports that Greenberg doesn’t have his financing settled yet. That’s not good news the way I understand the term.

I share that concern. We're almost 3 months in from the initial reports. It's taking an awfully long time to line up financing/partners.

I share that concern. We're almost 3 months in from the initial reports. It's taking an awfully long time to line up financing/partners.
IMO every month that goes by at this point represents a 25% lower chance of this sale happening. If we get to the end of January, then I think we’re done.

Back