• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs announce Markov WILL NOT be back next season

I'm pretty sure I said "most talented French Canadian forward". In the meantime the most talented forward of the past 20 years remains Kovalev.

But what's wrong with "potential franchise forward"? Key word here is potential. Isn't Sergachev also a potential Norris candidate?

GGpX hates Drouin even though Stevie Y screwed him around.

I'm pretty sure I said "most talented French Canadian forward". In the meantime the most talented forward of the past 20 years remains Kovalev.

But what's wrong with "potential franchise forward"? Key word here is potential. Isn't Sergachev also a potential Norris candidate?

Because potential (along with ka rek tur, my two most despised words) is a bullshit word used to legitimize something without evidence.

Everyone, without exception, has the potential to be x no matter how far-fetched the notion. Hey, if I tried hard enough, I could potentially be a doctor. Just need to find a steady adderall dealer.

For years it was said here about how Beaulieu had all this potential. All the good that did him.

GGpX hates Drouin even though Stevie Y screwed him around.

Not this again.

Drouin screwed himself in the whole ordeal because he acted like an entitled child. What Yzerman may or may not have promised couldn't be less relevant to me.

Not this again.

Drouin screwed himself in the whole ordeal because he acted like an entitled child. What Yzerman may or may not have promised couldn't be less relevant to me.
:)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't get the drouin hot take here.

How is it that a third overall pick, who is 22, and already has a successful season under his belt, doesn't have huge potential.

At the same stage of development Max Pacioretty had 6 NHL goals in 86 games.

Not this again.

That's rare for a professional athlete. No, not really.

How is it that a third overall pick, who is 22, and already has a successful season under his belt, doesn't have huge potential.

To me the biggest loss of the off-season was not keeping Radulov but to say, as some here have, that getting Drouin and losing Radulov is a wash is not accurate. Drouin will be a far better NHL player than Radulov ever was.

Who said anything not having huge potential? I don't doubt that he'll be an excellent player.

What I take issue with is what people like Krustchev have called him: A potential franchise forward. That is overrating him.

"Potential franchise forwards" don't fall down their respective teams' depth chart because younger players like Brayden Point surpass him. That fact alone makes it pretty much inconceivable for me to consider Drouin someone who could be a franchise player. It'd be one thing, if, say, he was surpassed by a young Steven Stamkos or a young Ryan Getzlaf or someone who really is a franchise forward.

Who said anything not having huge potential? I don't doubt that he'll be an excellent player.

What I take issue with is what people like Krustchev have called him: A potential franchise forward. That is overrating him.

"Potential franchise forwards" don't fall down their respective teams' depth chart because younger players like Brayden Point surpass him. That fact alone makes it pretty much inconceivable for me to consider Drouin someone who could be a franchise player. It'd be one thing, if, say, he was surpassed by a young Steven Stamkos or a young Ryan Getzlaf or someone who really is a franchise forward.

You can take whatever issue you want with my statement; I stand by it. Whether he ever fully reaches that potential only time will tell. And, BTW, you don't have to look too far to see a GM who traded a "franchise player" or close to one because the team's coach had an issue with said player. Just saying.

Last edited:
Is it the definition of a franchise forward that we get stuck on? Is MacKinnon a potential franchise forward?

What if we say potential PPG player instead?

It is not about Drouin vs Radulov. it is about by making this trade we lost Sergachev in our back and with Markov departure and lack of real puck mover defender, this will hurt us badly, plus Radulov is gone also. So it is Markov, Radulov. Sergachev, 3 core part of the team OUT and Drouin IN. The team is by far weaker than last year. Yes i know Sergachev needed to prove himself but with departure of Markov he had all the opportunities in the world to prove himself and get enough playing time!

Last edited:
Is it the definition of a franchise forward that we get stuck on? Is MacKinnon a potential franchise forward?

What if we say potential PPG player instead?

Borderline, although I would probably lean towards not. A very nice supporting piece, though.

Could be a PPG maybe. That said, is Johnny Gaudreau a franchise forward? I don't think so for a second and I would take him over Drouin without much thought about it.

It is not about Drouin vs Radulov. it is about by making this trade we lost Sergachev in our back and with Markov departure and lack of real puck mover defender, this will hurt us badly, plus Radulov is gone also. So it is Markov, Radulov. Sergachev, 3 core part of the team OUT and Drouin IN. The team is by far weaker than last year. Yes i know Sergachev needed to prove himself but with departure of Markov he had all the opportunities in the world to prove himself and get enough playing time!

Is it October 10 yet? Plenty of time and millions in cap space to still improve. The team won't start the season $8 million under the cap.

He wasn't surpassed on the depth chart by Brayden Point.

When was Point given more minutes than Drouin.

they kept point cause he was cheaper and could do some of the things Drouin can. But not all, and he isn't better and was never above Drouin on the depth chart. Maybe a game or two with line combos or the score dictated that, but who ever said point passed him on the depth chart.

We traded Markov's possible replacement for Radulov's replacement (and upgrade).

The problem is not the trade. its losing Markov and Radulov for nothing. How they spend the cap space COULD mitigate the issues, but I have little faith in MB given his last 14 months.

Is it October 10 yet? Plenty of time and millions in cap space to still improve. The team won't start the season $8 million under the cap.

You have a lot of faith in a guy with a shitty track record.

Remember, this isn't a video game, trades are hard.

I was unaware Sergachev was pencilled as the starting LDman w Weber on the first pairing game 1 of the season.

Potential multiple Norris winner...

Back