• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs announce Markov WILL NOT be back next season

And last I checked, we're July 27th, not June 27th.

Who, pray say, is available as a free agent that fits our need?

And if nobody is available, what assets do we have to trade to acquire players we can spend said cap space on.

(Don't think too hard about it, both questions have the same answer.)
IMO it won't be UFA it'll be a fall out from arbitration decisions forcing teams to adjust their cap position or teams who haven't been able to anything in the offseason (UFA signing, trade)

IMO it won't be UFA it'll be a fall out from arbitration decisions forcing teams to adjust their cap position

Cool, go ahead and name those players who won't get signed that you think are worth taking a shot on.

I'll wait.

IMO it won't be UFA it'll be a fall out from arbitration decisions forcing teams to adjust their cap position

So if/when this is the team that the habs ice come opening night, does your tune change or are you still ok with this?

IMO it won't be UFA it'll be a fall out from arbitration decisions forcing teams to adjust their cap position or teams who haven't been able to anything in the offseason (UFA signing, trade)

Looking at the list of RFAs:

Ryan Johansen - I'd take him in a heartbeat, but Nashville re-signs him no matter the price.
Mikael Granlund, Nino Neiderreiter, Marcus Foligno - All wingers and we have too many wingers as is. No interest.
Calvin de Haan - Already got a similar player in Karl Alzner
Zemgus Grigensons - Third liner, no interest.
Nathan Beaulieu - Even if he was available, we wouldn't sign him.

All arbitration eligible.

Non arb: Draisaitl, Bennett, Wennberg, Pastrnak & Horvat (None are going anywhere)

So... Who exactly are we planning to get exactly?

So if/when this is the team that the habs ice come opening night, does your tune change or are you still ok with this?
IMO it's a potential two step process, opening night obviously...but it's really what they do by next deadline (that can mean anytime from today till deadline day). In the end it's what team is iced for the start of the playoffs isn't it?

The Habs have one of the best regular season records under MB.

Hawks & Caps will likely move salary.

Already have with Johansson.

They have $4M capspace with a few more roster spots to fill out with players on ELC & league minimum. No rush to get capspace there.

Blackhawks could, but I doubt they will. Once Hossa goes on LTIR, their cap problem disappears.

Ryan Johansen - I'd take him in a heartbeat, but Nashville re-signs him no matter the price.
Mikael Granlund, Nino Neiderreiter, Marcus Foligno - All wingers and we have too many wingers as is. No interest.

Non arb: Draisaitl, Bennett, Wennberg, Pastrnak & Horvat (None are going anywhere)

I think it's highly possible Anisimov & Andre Burakovsky become available prior to opening game of the season.

IMO it's a potential two step process, opening night obviously...but it's really what they do by next deadline (that can mean anytime from today till deadline day). In the end it's what team is iced for the start of the playoffs isn't it?

Largely in spite of him. Largely due to Bob Gainey's core of players, mainly three syllables: Carey Price.

Some over the hill vet from one of those teams moved to make cap space.

Yippee.

Already have with Johansson.

They have $4M capspace with a few more roster spots to fill out with players on ELC & league minimum. No rush to get capspace there.

Blackhawks could, but I doubt they will. Once Hossa goes on LTIR, their cap problem disappears.

Caps have 17 roster spots filled, have $4M for 6-more spots....not happenning

Largely in spite of him. Largely due to Bob Gainey's core of players, mainly three syllables: Carey Price.

Rutherrod the guy u hammered when named GM in Pit, inherited Crosby, Malkin, and the young talent that's produced last 2-Cups...such is life.

I think it's highly possible Anisimov & Andre Burakovsky become available prior to opening game of the season.

Cool.

Again, answer my question from the previous post: What assets does this organization have to trade for those players?

We had one major trading asset and we used it to reinforce a position of strength.

A collossal blunder. A ****up of epic proportions.

You would make a wonderful leafs fan.

Perfectly content with mediocrity.

One of the best regular season records under MB... GREAT! As long as we win the regular season, am I right?

Playoffs? Who cares about that? Just a stupid oversized cup after all.

Bergevin's plan about not commiting money for next season is pretty obvious. His entire plan is based on the wish that Tavarese will go UFA next season and that he will be able to grab him. I'm betting he is willing to sacrifice this season for it if needed.

Bergevin's plan about not commiting money for next season is pretty obvious. His entire plan is based on the wish that Tavarese will go UFA next season and that he will be able to grab him. I'm betting he is willing to sacrifice this season for it if needed.

So much for trying to win now.

Guess MB doesn't believe in windows.

Back