• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Pesce Signs Six-Year Extension!

About what I expected Not a great deal but I expect it won't be an albatross.

Slavin and Pesce til 2025 for under $10 Mill. I won't complain about that at all.

I can't complain about the years and money considering how good Pesce has been his first 2 seasons. But I will complain if he doesn't continue to grow over the life of this contract. I still think it would have been better to see how this year goes, but hey, Pesce is an top 6 NHL Dman for sure and now he is under contract for the next 7 seasons. That's not a bad thing.

Ok, so what is Hanifin worth? Wondering if Hanifin is thinking he is better off waiting until he puts up better number this season. The Canes might also be thinking they are better off waiting to see how Noah does in year 3 before doing a big/long term deal (now that I said that, expect Hanifin to be signed in the next week).

Ok, so what is Hanifin worth? Wondering if Hanifin is thinking he is better off waiting until he puts up better number this season. The Canes might also be thinking they are better off waiting to see how Noah does in year 3 before doing a big/long term deal (now that I said that, expect Hanifin to be signed in the next week).

I suspect they want to see Hanifin playing the full season with a real partner instead of the dreck he was stuck with on the 3rd pair his first 2 years.

This is the first of the recent long term deals I am not entirely crazy about. Ideally, I would have preferred seeing Pesce prove his worth without Slavin carrying the load. I haven't seen much from him outside of his highly successful pairing with Slavin that justifies the contract....yet. That said, there are comparables out there that support the term and value, it just makes me nervous.

Meh. About what I expected ... maybe a million a year richer than I thought, but by the end of the term it's fine. Pesce isn't going to drop off anytime soon. He's a low risk investment.

Tough contract to move though, should circumstances change at some point

I think it's a good deal all around. He's solid, he's a legit top 4 guy on most teams around the league. Not sure why you are all so down on him. He's very solid.

I think it's a good deal all around. He's solid, he's a legit top 4 guy on most teams around the league. Not sure why you are all so down on him. He's very solid.

I agree, solid, legit top 4 defender with room to grow and get better as a shutdown guy, even the analytics guru types like Pesce for what he does. Getting any top 4 defender signed long term for that kind of money is sadly a bargain in today's game, the core continues to be locked up by Francis and I think that's a good thing!

This is going to get interesting with Hanifin if no extension is signed before the season starts. Let's predict that Hanifin has his best season yet playing with either Faulk or TVR, and goes for 8 Goals 30 Assists and + something.

What is that worth? Colton Parayko got 5 years at an AAV of $5.5 million a season for numbers like that. Slavin's numbers are already pretty much there and his AAV is $5.3 million per on his extension. So I suspect that Hanifin slots in somewhere around $5.3-$5.5 on a long term deal.

BUT he has to have that good season first. He can't be -19 again. If he has a great first half I suspect the Canes will give him a Slavin like extension. If not then I think a 2 year bridge deal after the season is over is the most the Canes should be willing to offer.

Who would have predicted at the start of the 15-16 season that we would be signing Jaccob Slavin and Brett Pesce to long term big money extensions before Noah Hanifin?

This is going to get interesting with Hanifin if no extension is signed before the season starts. Let's predict that Hanifin has his best season yet playing with either Faulk or TVR, and goes for 8 Goals 30 Assists and + something.

What is that worth? Colton Parayko got 5 years at an AAV of $5.5 million a season for numbers like that. Slavin's numbers are already pretty much there and his AAV is $5.3 million per on his extension. So I suspect that Hanifin slots in somewhere around $5.3-$5.5 on a long term deal.

Here is one that goes the other way. The Isles avoided arbitration with Calvin de Haan, signing him to a 1 year/$3.3 million contract. He had a career high 5 goals, 20 assists and was +15 in 19:50 of ice time.

I think it's just tough to get one's head around $4 million a year for a "solid" defenseman. Like I said ... he's fine and that deal is fair, especially at the end of the term.

Here is one that goes the other way. The Isles avoided arbitration with Calvin de Haan, signing him to a 1 year/$3.3 million contract. He had a career high 5 goals, 20 assists and was +15 in 19:50 of ice time.

That's a "prove it" contract and you don't see many of those for defensemen these days. A one year deal for moderate money after a decent season? Yeah. Those are getting few and far between.

Back