• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Champions League Thread

Champions League draw:

Bayern Munich v. Real Madrid
Liverpool v. Roma

First leg 4/25-26, second leg 5/1-2

Europa League draw:
Marseille v. Salzburg
Arsenal v. Atletico Madrid

First leg 4/26, second leg 5/3

I like that UCL draw. At least we won't get stuck with big boy on boy boy for the final.

And good luck to the Arse in the Europa League. Maybe Arsene can go out with a trophy ... presuming ... you know.

I like that UCL draw. At least we won't get stuck with big boy on boy boy for the final.

And good luck to the Arse in the Europa League. Maybe Arsene can go out with a trophy ... presuming ... you know.

The 2 matches between Bayern and Real Madrid will be the 25th and 26th meetings all time, the most meetings in any UEFA competition.

I obviously want Arsenal to win the Europa League. It will allow Wenger to exit gracefully, which he should have done after winning the FA Cup last year. And maybe the new manager can do for Arsenal what Klopp has done for Liverpool; restore respectability.

Yeah ... like I said, good luck to 'em. That's no picnic of a final four in the Europa either. All four clubs are seriously nasty opponents in their own way.

First leg of the semifinals:

Liverpool 5-2 Roma
Bayern Munich 1-2 Real Madrid

Liverpool may rue the last 10 minutes of their match. They had everything going their way and shipped 2 goals to Roma. Remember, Roma came back from a 3 goal deficit at Barcelona to advance on away goals with a 3-0 win at Stadio Olimpico. Liverpool also lost Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for the season with a knee ligament injury. Liverpool only have 3 healthy midfielders now.

Bayern were also hit with injuries, losing both Arjen Robben and Jerome Boateng in the first half. No word on how serious they are. But they've dug themselves a hole.

Roma really aren't all that good, but they absolutely refuse to roll over. I admire their spirit.

The Champions League final is set.

Real Madrid 2-2 Bayern Munich. Real Madrid advance 4-3 on aggregate
Roma 4-2 Liverpool. Liverpool advance 7-6 on aggregate. Roma nearly overcame a 3 goal away deficit again. Nainggolan scored in the 86th and a penalty in the 94th minute but they ran out of time. Had they scored again, they'd have gone to extra time since both clubs would have 2 away goals.

The final is May 26 at 2:45 eastern time from Kiev.

Wild action in both legs from that Liverpool/Roma matchup. I kinda wish that had been the final, since most CL finals are a lot like watching paint dry ... slowly.

The Europa League final is set:

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Arsenal. Atletico advance 2-1 on aggregate
Salzburg 2-1 Marseille AET. Marseille advance 3-2 on aggregate

The final is May 16 in Lyon. Marseille should have a significant home crowd advantage.

Europa League final:

Marseille 0-3 Atletico Madrid

The win puts Atletico into Pot 1 in the Champions League draw. Because they had already qualified for the group stage by virtue of their finish in La Liga, the 3rd team from the 5th ranked association (France) goes straight into the group stage rather than the 3rd qualifying round. Also, because the Champions League winner, either Real Madrid or Liverpool, qualified for the group stage by their domestic league finish, the champion of the 11th ranked association (Czech Republic) goes straight to the Group Stage rather than the playoff round. The Champions League winner also goes into Pot 1 with the Atletico and the champions from the top 6 ranked leagues.

Champions League final ... Real Madrid 3, Liverpool 1

Bale with a brace off of the bench, Liverpool lost Salah to a probable dislocated shoulder thanks to an awkward (at best) tackle from Sergio Ramos and Liverpool keeper Loris Karius served up a couple of howlers. No taking away from Bale's 2nd though ... that was a wonderment of a scissor kick, especially for a guy Bale's size. Sucks for Egypt, since it looks very likely that Salah will be touch and go at best for the World Cup.

Here's what happened: Salah hooks the arm of a known offender who happens to be nearly a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier. Not a smart move. And Ramos, being the thug that he is, said "Let me hang on to that and take you down and let's see what happens". All in all, not a great moment in top flight football.

Back