• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Champions League Thread

Man City 1-2 Basel - Man City advance 5-2 on aggregate
Spurs 1-2 Juventus - Juventus advance 4-3 on aggregate

Spurs were all over that one. Then all of a sudden, they weren't. Kinda sucked. At least the brat sandwich at TraLi was pretty tasty.

The draws are set.

Champions League:
Barcelona v. Roma
Sevilla v. Bayern Munich
Juventus v. Real Madrid
Liverpool v. Man City

Europa League:
Leipzig v. Marseille
Arsenal v. CSKA Moscow
Atletico Madrid v. Sporting Lisbon
Lazio v. Salzburg

Ugh ... rough for City and Liverpool to draw each other, by which I mean rough for Liverpool. And Seville climbed one mountain only to find a bigger one on the other side. To be honest, I'm not that thrilled for any of the CL matchups in this round.

Ugh ... rough for City and Liverpool to draw each other, by which I mean rough for Liverpool. And Seville climbed one mountain only to find a bigger one on the other side. To be honest, I'm not that thrilled for any of the CL matchups in this round.

Juve v. Real Madrid moves the needle a bit. But the rest...meh.

Juventus 0-3 Real Madrid - A brace for Ronaldo and a red card for Dybala, so he's out for the away leg
Sevilla 1-2 Bayern Munich

Juventus 0-3 Real Madrid - A brace for Ronaldo and a red card for Dybala

I think you're under-selling Ronaldo's brace a bit as it included a bicycle kick goal that's got the entire internet freaking out.

I think you're under-selling Ronaldo's brace a bit as it included a bicycle kick goal that's got the entire internet freaking out.

Underselling a lot. Meant to go back an edit it with a link. I still think Zlatan's bicycle kick from 30 yards out against England is better.

Barcelona 4-1 Roma - Own goal with a brace for Barca
Liverpool 3-0 Man City

I had Liverpool/City on in the background while I was working yesterday ... absolute master class in breaking down a Pep team.

I had Liverpool/City on in the background while I was working yesterday ... absolute master class in breaking down a Pep team.

They got routed by City 5-0 in September. Since then, they've outscored them 7-3 in 2 matches.

Two clubs punch their tickets to the semi-finals.

Man City 1-2 Liverpool. Liverpool advance 5-1 on aggregate
Roma 3-0 Barcelona. Aggregate tied 4-4, Roma advance on away goals.

Roma winning that matchup was a shock, to say the least. They aren't even having that good a year in a pretty weak Serie A and they're on to the Champions League semis after putting a 3-0 whuppin' on Barca.

Bayern Munich 0-0 Sevilla. Bayern advances 1-0 on aggregate
Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus. Real Madrid advances 4-3 on aggregate.

But the big story in Madrid is that Juve almost replicated Roma's feat from yesterday, coming back from a 3 goal deficit. They got all the way to 3-3 and were on the verge of forcing extra time but Benatia was called for a penalty at 90+3 after Michael Oliver consulted with the goal line judge. Buffon went bananas and picked up a straight red. Szczesny came in to face the penalty and Ronaldo converted.

Semifinal draw on Friday.

I mean, it was a foul. Sure, tough timing, but he definitely fouls him.

I didn't see it live, but I don't think it was even borderline. That was a pretty easy call.

The Europe League semi-finalists are set:

Salzburg defeat Lazio 6-5 on aggregate
Atletico Madrid defeat Sporting Lisbon 2-1 on aggregate
Arsenal defeat CSKA Moscow 6-3 on aggregate
Marseille defeat Leipzig 5-3 on aggregate.

Semi-finals draw on Friday after the Champions League draw.

Back