• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Premier League Thread

Arsenal no showed the first ten minutes of the game and cost themselves the game. Super fun game and Arsenal should have had at least one penalty. I don't think I've ever seen something like the Pogba red card though where seemingly no player on the pitch had a reaction to the situation either way. Arsenal players weren't hounding the ref trying to get him sent off and United players weren't hounding the ref trying to keep him from sending him off. Ashley Young sprinted over to tell Jose that the ref was going to send him off and that was the only reaction.

Only caught the very end, but Spurs were absolutely lucky to get a point as they had a ref who was too afraid to call a clear as day penalty against them in the closing minutes of the game.

Match week 16 and it ends with the Merseyside and Manchester Derbies back to back on Sunday:

Saturday:
West Ham v. Chelsea 7:30 NBCSN
Spurs v. Stoke 10:00 NBCSN
Burnley v. Watford
Crystal Palace v. Bournemouth
Huddersfield v. Brighton
Swansea v. West Brom
Newcastle v. Leicester 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Southampton v. Arsenal 7:00 NBCSN
Liverpool v. Everton 9:15 NBCSN
Man U v. Man City 11:30 NBCSN

West Ham 1– Chelsea
Burnley 1-0 Watford
Crystal Palace 2-2 Bournemouth
Huddersfield 2-0 Brighton
Swansea 1-0 West Brom
Spurs 5-1 Stoke
Newcastle 2-3 Leicester
Southampton 1-1 Arsenal
Liverpool 1-1 Everton
Man U 1-2 Man City

Man City set a top flight record with their 14th consecutive in season win. Everton were outplayed the entire match but Rooney converted a 78th minute penalty to steal a point. Palace were the only club in the bottom that didn’t win; Benteke misssed a 93rd minute penalty. Man City are now 11 points clear of Man U on 46 points. Chelsea are 3rd on 32, Liverpool at 30 and Arsenal at 29. Crystal,Palace, Swansea and West Ham are still the bottom 3 but West Ham are level on points with West Brom. More midweek matches coming on Tuesday and Wednesday.

What a contrast in the United-City match. Beautiful flowing attacking football versus what is best described as constipation. United have all that talent and Jose simply won't put it to good use. I know they miss Pogba, but if you've spent all that money to be completely dependent on one guy, then maybe you don't know how to spend your money very well *cough Lukaku cough*.

Have I ever mentioned how enjoyable it is to ignore everything else and just watch Debruyne run around without the ball, constantly finding the best position to both receive the ball and drive it forward? What a maestro.

Midweek matches

Tuesday:
Burnley v. Stoke 2:45
Crystal Palace v. Watford 3:00
Huddersfield v. Chelsea NBCSN

Wednesday:
Swansea v. Man City 2:45 NBCSN
Newcastle v. Everton
Southampton v. Leicester
Liverpool v. West Brom 3:00
Man U v. Bournemouth
Spurs v. Brighton
West Ham v. Arsenal

If Burnley win today, they move into the top 4, at least temporarily. Crazy...

Midweek matches

If Burnley win today, they move into the top 4, at least temporarily. Crazy...

Mission accomplished ...

Burnley 1, Stoke 0
Palace 2, Watford 1
Chelsea 3, Huddersfield 1

Worth noting that depending on results in the near term, Burnley could drop to as low at 8th before they play again.

Newcastle 0-1 Everton
Southampton 1-4 Leicester
Swansea 0-4 Man City
Liverpool 0-0 West Brom
Man U 1-0 Bournemouth
Spurs 2-0 Brighton
West Ham 0-0 Arsenal

Spurs, Liverpool and Burnley are all tied on 31 points from 4th - 6th, separated by goal differential. Arsenal are 1 point back in 7th. Crystal Palace had temporarily moved out of the relegation zone but dropped back in today with West Brom getting a point. West Brom, Palace and West Ham are all on 14 points, separated by goal differential. Swansea remain at the foot.

Match week 18. Can Spurs hang with Man City? If they can't, City has a pretty easy schedule until heading to Anfield on January 14.

Saturday:
Leicester v. Crystal Palace 7:30 NBCSN
Arsenal v. Newcastle 10:00 CNBC
Chelsea v. Southampton NBCSN
Brighton v. Burnley
Stoke v. West Ham
Watford v. Huddersfield
Man City v. Spurs 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
West Brom v. Man U 9:15 NBCSN
Bournemouth v. Liverpool 11:30 NBCSN

Monday:
Everton v. Swansea 3:00 NBCSN

Match week 18. Can Spurs hang with Man City? If they can't, City has a pretty easy schedule until heading to Anfield on January 14.

Not likely. With Alderweireld, Sanchez, and Wanyama out, Spurs have one experienced CB and one CB/DM... and that's it. I see nine guys stapled to the back and Harry bombing forward hoping for the best. And Harry still isn't quite over his hamstring pull, and played 90+ on Wednesday. The scoreline from Nashville, when Hugo played out of his mind and Vorm was pretty good, would be flattering (3-0 City).

Not likely. With Alderweireld, Sanchez, and Wanyama out, Spurs have one experienced CB and one CB/DM... and that's it. I see nine guys stapled to the back and Harry bombing forward hoping for the best. And Harry still isn't quite over his hamstring pull, and played 90+ on Wednesday. The scoreline from Nashville, when Hugo played out of his mind and Vorm was pretty good, would be flattering (3-0 City).

Yeah ... it was actually worse. 4-1 City and the goal Spurs did manage was in the dying moments. Comprehensive butt kicking.

Yeah ... it was actually worse. 4-1 City and the goal Spurs did manage was in the dying moments. Comprehensive butt kicking.

After the NBC studio folks at halftime showed how Ederson's goal kicks were being used to go over Spurs' press, the guy comes out early in the 2nd and drops a 75 yarder on the foot of (I think) Mane. Poch had no answer for that.

As if they needed any more weapons.

All the results:

Man City 4-1 Spurs
Stoke 0-3 West Ham
Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle
Brighton 0-0 Burnley
Chelsea 1-0 Southampton
Watford 1-4 Huddersfield
Leicester 0-3 Crystal Palace
Bournemouth 0-4 Liverpool
West Brom 1-2 Man U

Still have Everton v. Swansea today. An Everton win or draw will move them to 9th. A Swansea win will move them to 19th and push West Brom to the foot. Newcastle joins them in the drop zone. Crystal Palace and West Ham have moved 2 points clear of the relegation zone and sit in 14th and 15th place, respectively, 1 point behind Brighton and Southampton. Man City maintained their 11 piont lead on Man U, with 52 of a possible 54 points earned this season so far. They probably won't be pushed in their next 4 matches in the league. They host Bournemouth, travel to Newcastle and Crystal Palace and host Watford. Their next tough match is at Liverpool on January 20. The travel to Leicester for the League Cup and host Burnley in the FA Cup too.

City are probably going to run away and hide at this point. Their rivals are simply not in their league this season. At this point relegation and the other CL spots are the races to watch, and so as I can tell we've got upwards of 8 clubs in possible relegation danger ... some of which seem intent on doing something about it and others, not so much. The January window will be interesting for that group. At the other end of the affair, I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U look to be settling into their identities, but I'm not so sure what Arsenal and Tottenham are made of this season.

City are probably going to run away and hide at this point. Their rivals are simply not in their league this season. At this point relegation and the other CL spots are the races to watch, and so as I can tell we've got upwards of 8 clubs in possible relegation danger ... some of which seem intent on doing something about it and others, not so much. The January window will be interesting for that group. At the other end of the affair, I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U look to be settling into their identities, but I'm not so sure what Arsenal and Tottenham are made of this season.

The record for most wins is 30, set by Chelsea in 2016-17. Chelsea also hold the record for most points in a season with 95 in 2004-05. The 2003-04 Arsenal Invincibles finished with 26 wins and 12 draws for 90 points.

Swansea sacked Paul Clement and assistants Nigel Gibbs and Karl Halabi. They’ll have an update in the next 24 hours. Since being promoted to the Premier League for the 2011-12 season, they’ve had 6 permanent managers and 2 caretakers. Gary Monk lasted the longest at 1 year, 308 days. The last 3 permanent mangers have all lasted less than 1 calendar year.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swansea-city-part-company-paul-clement

The entirety of their boardroom ought to go with him. What a bunch of clueless gits.

Wow, that was a lot of fun. I'd like to see the distance run by some of those guys, even if they ran out of gas around the 75' mark.

Back