• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Premier League Thread

Swansea 0-1 Southampton

West Brom are relegated. Revised standings:

Southampton - 36 points, -18 goal differential. Home for Man City on Sunday.
Huddersfield - 36 points, -29 goal differential. At Chelsea tomorrow, home for Arsenal on Sunday. A point for them tomorrow and they're safe.
Swansea - 33 points, -27 goal differential. Home for Stoke on Sunday.

It could come down to goal differential. If Huddersfield don't get a point from either match and Swansea beat Stoke on Sunday, the Terriers are down and Swansea survive.

If Swansea do go down, can you imagine the noise coming from Cardiff? They haven't been the only Welsh side in the top division since 1961.

First ... seeya Baggies. I feel for Darren Moore who is legitimately decent human being and who did a wonderful job trying to save the sinking ship, but their prevailingly dire brand of football in this run in the Premier League buys them a hearty good the heck bye.

With all the noise leaking out of Stoke since their demise, I can't fathom them gathering their collective wits enough to cobble a point out of that game with Swans. And I'm less than convinced that Huddersfield are going to manage a point out of their remaining matches. This looks for all the world like it's going to come down to goal diff and that sort of sucks given the stakes.

First ... seeya Baggies. I feel for Darren Moore who is legitimately decent human being and who did a wonderful job trying to save the sinking ship, but their prevailingly dire brand of football in this run in the Premier League buys them a hearty good the heck bye.

With all the noise leaking out of Stoke since their demise, I can't fathom them gathering their collective wits enough to cobble a point out of that game with Swans. And I'm less than convinced that Huddersfield are going to manage a point out of their remaining matches. This looks for all the world like it's going to come down to goal diff and that sort of sucks given the stakes.

Ironically, Darren Moore was voted Manager of the Month for April. They just waited too long to sack Pardew for him to have made any kind of difference. I can see them keeping him, but like Stoke, don't see a 1 year rebound back from the Championship.

It wouldn't surprise me if Huddersfield gets at least a draw on Sunday. Arsenal have clinched their spot in the table and don't have anything to play for except pride in Wenger's last game. If they play like they did against Burnley, they'll run Huddersfield out of the stadium. But if they play like they have for most of the season, the Terriers can salvage a point. Stoke spit the bit at home to Palace last weekend to earn their relegation. I don't see them putting up any kind of struggle for Swansea.

Chelsea 1-1 Huddersfield
Leicester 3-1 Arsenal
Man City 3-1 Brighton
Spurs 1-0 Newcastle

Huddersfield are safe, the relegation battle on Sunday is Swansea and Southampton, so it could come down to goal differential.

Arsenal played the last 75 minutes down a man as new guy Konstantinos Mavropanos was sent off on a straight red for being the last man. Man City get 3 goals and break the all-time Premier League records for goals scored, wins and points in a season. Spurs' win combined with Chelsea's draw guarantees them a Champions League spot for next year. Chelsea must beat Newcastle and have Liverpool lose at home to Brighton for them to finish top 4.

One more thing...this is only the 3rd time in Premier League history in which all 3 promoted sides survived. The others were 2001-02 (Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn promoted; Ipswich, Derby, Leicester relegated) and 2011-12 (QPR, Norwich, Swansea promoted; Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves relegated)

Championship Sunday. All matches start at 10 and will be on the NBC family of stations. 2nd - 5th place is slightly unsettled. Man U is 2nd on 77 points. Theoreticaly, Spurs can catch them but they'd need Man U to lose their last 2. Liverpool is 4th, 2 points behind Spurs. They need a win and Spurs not to win to grab 3rd on goal differential. Chelsea are 5th and can only move up to 4th with a win and a Liverpool loss. On the other end of the table, Swansea need a big win and a big loss by Southampton to avoid the drop; they're 3 points and 9 goals behind. In the middle, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth and Watford are 10th - 13th on 41 points, Brighton right behind on 40. Palace have the most favorable opponent and, after a season that started with them shut out in their first 7 matches, they can finish 10th.

Liverpool v. Brighton - NBC
Newcastle v. Chelsea - NBCSN
Man U v. Watford - USA Network
Southampton v. Man City - SyFy
Swansea v. Stoke - CNBC
Huddersfield v. Arsenal - MSNBC
Spurs v. Leicester - Bravo
West Ham v. Everton - E!
Crystal Palace v. West Brom - Oxygen
Burnley v. Bournemouth - Olympic Channel

West Ham 0-0 Man U

Man U lock up 2nd place in the table. West Ham join the log jam of teams that could finish 10th. But they'd need a win and for everyone else to lose, they have the worst goal differential of any of the contenders.

Hmm, tried that, but the player says it's unavailable in my region (Massachusetts???). Oh well. Hopefully the final is televised if they make it.

Sorry ... but they got that first leg won 1-0. Looking good ... OK, they kind of played like crap, but they got an early goal and hung on. I'll take it.

OK, now what?

Southampton didn't need goal differential to stay up, Swansea lost at home to Stoke to seal their fate. Cardiff will be the only Welsh club in the league next year.

Burnley 1-2 Bournemouth
Crystal Palace 2-0 West Brom
Huddersfield 0-1 Arsenal
Liverpool 4-0 Brighton
Man U 1-0 Watford
Newcastle 3-0 Chelsea
Southampton 0-1 Man City
Swansea 1-2 Stoke
Spurs 5-4 Leicester
West Ham 3-1 Everton

Mo Salah wins the Golden Boot with a 38 match Premier League record 32 goals, breaking the record of 31 held by Alan Shearer, Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Suarez. Harry Kane ended with 30. Kevin DeBruyne won a new award for most assists in a season, finishing with 16. David DeGea won the Golden Glove, the first Man U keeper to win since Edwin van der Sar in 2008-09.

Man City hit their century, the first team in the Premier League era to hit 100 points. They also ended with 106 goals, the most ever in the Premier League era. Man U, Spurs and Liverpool also qualified for the Champions League. Chelsea, Arsenal and Burnley qualified for the Europa League. Everton, Leicester and Newcastle round out the top 10. Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth all ended with 44 points but Newcastle took the spot with a 2 goal advantage over Palace and 8 over Bournemouth. With Palace starting the season goal-less in their first 7 matches, that finish is remarkable. At the foot, Swansea, Stoke and West Brom were relegated.

In the Championship Playoffs, Derby beat Fulham 1-0 and Aston Villa won at Middlesbrough 1-0 in the first legs. Fulham host Derby today, Aston Villa host Middlesbrough tomorrow. The final is on May 26.

Final door prizes have been handed out in the Prem.

Man City locked up first place a long time ago, but they managed to get to 100 points. That's a truly remarkable achievement.

2nd through 4th ended up Man United, Spurs and then Liverpool with Chelsea and Arsenal finishing well adrift in 5th and 6th.

Mid-Table superlatives go to Burnley for creeping up to 7th with next to no fanfare, to Everton for finishing 8th despite enough fan unrest to justify relegation, and to Newcastle for nailing down the 10th spot in their bounce back season. Honorable mention to Palace for somehow turning a season largely mired in the relegation battle zone into a 11th place finish. Second place honorable mention to the debutante class of 2017 for surviving intact. Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield all made it through the gauntlet.

At the foot of the table, with the crumbs and the dogs .... Swansea joined the dearly departed heading for the Championship with a stupid loss to Stoke, a team that had quit on themselves weeks ago. Congrats. Aforementioned Stoke and West Brom join Swans in the drop zone and honestly, all three of them are going to struggle in the Championship.

Last but not least, if you didn't see the video of Mo Salah's kid cavorting around the pitch at Anfield while he was awarded the Golden Boot ... go. Watch. Enjoy.

Fulham 2-0 Derby. Fulham advance 2-1 on aggregate. That's the 3rd time in the last 5 years that they've made the playoffs and failed to advance. They lost to QPR in the 2014 final, and lost the semi-final to Hull in 2016

Aston Villa 0-0 Middlesbrough. Aston Villa advance 1-0 on aggregate.

It’s Villa v. Fulham for promotion on May 26.

Found a stream to watch the Villa match. Our keeper was super lucky to not get a straight red for a handball outside of the box. After playing the entire game in good positioning on everything, he found himself out in no man's land and awkwardly handled the ball a foot outside of the box. Downing almost put in the subsequent free kick clanging it against the crossbar. Sometimes you need breaks, onto the final. I'm hoping this one is actually televised.

Sam Allardyce was sacked by Everton. Former Watford manager Marco Silva, who Everton wanted in November, is the leading candidate. Everton also restructured their board with Denise Barrett-Baxendale taking over as CEO. Big Sam was “disgusted’ that the changes were announced before he was notified.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44136661

Next weekend's Wembley lineup is set:

Championship playoff final May 26:
Fulham v. Aston Villa

League One playoff final May 27:
Shrewsbury Town v. Rotherham United

League Two playoff final May 28:
Exeter City v. Coventry City

Back