• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 EFL Cup Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Now sposored by Carabao Energy Drinks, this can be more accurately described as the Does Anyone Really Care Cup.

The 3rd round draw was held today. All Premier League teams not playing in Europe entered in the 2nd round, the remaining 7 teams entered in the 3rd round. Newcastle was the only Premier League team to lose, losing to Nottingham Forest, 3-2 aet. Only Doncaster Rovers and Bristol Rovers survived from League One or Two.

Bournemouth v. Brighton
Arsenal v. Doncaster
Aston Villa v. Middlesbrough
Brentford v. Norwich
Bristol City v. Stoke
Burnley v. Leeds United
Chelsea v. Nottingham Forest
Crystal Palace v. Huddersfield
Everton v. Sunderland
Leicester v. Liverpool
Man U v. Burton Albion
Reading v. Swansea
West Brom v. Man City
West Ham v. Bolton
Wolves v. Bristol Rovers
Spurs v. Barnsley or Derby County

Matches to be played 9/18-19, except for the Spurs match. Barnsley and Derby County will play their match on 9/19.

The Carabao Cup formerly brought to you by no one in particular. Yeah ... this one just gets less compelling by the year.

Round 3 results:

Bournemouth 1-0 Brighton AET
Aston Villa 0-2 Middlesbrough
Brentford 1-3 Norwich
Bristol City 2-0 Stoke
Burnley 2-2 Leeds. Leeds advance on penalties
Crystal Palace 1-0 Huddersfiled. Palace scored a goal?!
Leicester 2-0 Liverpool
Reading 0-2 Swansea
Spurs 1-0 Barnsley
West Ham 3-0 Bolton
Wolves 1-0 Bristol Rovers AET
Arsenal 1-0 Doncaster
Chelsea 5-1 Nottingham Forest
Everton 3-0 Sunderland
Man U 4-1 Burton Albion
West Brom 1-2 Man City

There are still 5 Championship clubs alive: Bristol City, Norwich, Wolves Middlesbrough and Leeds.

Round 4 draw, all matches to be played on 10/24:

Arsenal v. Norwich
Bournemouth v. Middlesbrough
Bristol City v. Crystal Palace
Chelsea v. Everton
Leicester v. Leeds
Man City v. Wolves
Swansea v. Man U
Spurs v. West Ham

Quarterfinal matches to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday. Bristol City is the only non-Prem team left. They're 3rd in the Championship.

Tuesday:
Arsenal v. West Ham
Leicester v. Man City

Wednesday
Chelsea v. Bournemouth
Bristol City v. Man U

Results:

Arsenal 1-0 West Ham
Leicester 1-1 Man City - Man City advance 4-3 on penalties
Chelsea 2-1 Bournemouth
Bristol City 2-1 Man U - Bristol City get the winner at 90+3.

Semifinal draw, 2 legs. First leg to be played the week of January 8, second leg 2 weeks later:

Arsenal v. Chelsea - First leg at the Bridge
Bristol City v. Man City - First leg at the Etihad

Last edited:
Way to go Bristol. I only watched highlights but fighting back for that winner was just brilliant. And their reward ... the other half of the Manchester steamroller.

It's Arsenal v. Man City for the Carabao Cup. Arsenal beat Chelsea, 2-1 on aggregate. Man City beat Bristol City 5-3 on aggregate. The final is February 25 at Wembley.

Anybody think Pep can pull the quadruple? City have such a big lead they could afford to rotate the club in select PL matches to favor CL knockout round matches.

Anybody think Pep can pull the quadruple? City have such a big lead they could afford to rotate the club in select PL matches to favor CL knockout round matches.

It depends on who they draw in the CL after they get past Basel. There are few teams that could give them trouble, not the least of which is Liverpool who just beat them in the league.

I think so, but it's a BIG hill to climb. Better teams have come close in weaker leagues and fell at the last hurdle or two. I'd say the odds do not favor it, but a Quadruple wouldn't shock me.

City absolutely steamrolled Arsenal to the title. This was a vintage performance from Vincent Kompany.

There's so much to like about watching City play, it's a pity they're financially doped.

City absolutely steamrolled Arsenal to the title. This was a vintage performance from Vincent Kompany.

There's so much to like about watching City play, it's a pity they're financially doped.

Horrific defending by Mustafi on the first goal. How do you let a guy like Aguero behind you on a goal kick, where offside doesn’t come into play? I can only hope this, along with their likely 6th place finish in the league, leads to Wenger’s ouster.

Back