• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Deceptive Site Warning

LJG

Anyone else gettting a Deceptive Site warning on google chrome today?

What up with that?

I reported it to the Site Admins. It's coming up on Firefox too.

I guess that means Chrome and Firefox are more secure than IE? :couch

I reported it to the Site Admins. It's coming up on Firefox too.

I guess that means Chrome and Firefox are more secure than IE? :couch

Don't know Quit using I.E. several years ago.

Thanks.

Well, 'forumice' can also be read as 'for u mice' and could be construed as a hate site.

Same here..i was able to get past it for a while, with just a Dangerous notice in the address bar.. but can't get to it at all now on Chrome/ Windows

Are they accusing us of not being Hurricane Fans? Is it because we use usernames and not real names? Do they merely think we are all full of crap? Is this the work of Russians? Are we the "fake news" our President has been trying to warn us about? Covfefe?

Same error here. Only tap 2 talk seems to bypass it. The site is either compromised in some way or it is being identified incorrectly by various security sites used by Google and others. Either way, site admins need to investigate and correct.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I couldn't get access with Google Chrome or Firefox-- got here via IE...Not sure what's up, but hope the guys can figure it out and correct

The site needs an overhaul thanks to hack attempts. It is working through Tapatalk for now. I'm getting a complete server rebuild done. It'll take a few days.

You can add an exception in your virus checker. When the redo is complete I'm going to be recommending changing passwords. No sense in doing it until complete though.

When I would try go to here it would always redirect me to a site called fileshare something or other. Always got here on the second attempt but it was weird.

You can add an exception in your virus checker. When the redo is complete I'm going to be recommending changing passwords. No sense in doing it until complete though.

I would not recommend people disable or add an exception into virus software for this site. It currently appears that the site has been compromised as people visiting the site are being impacted by injected code from the site (redirects to other locations and potentially other malicous activities). This indicates a hacker has been able to at least perform a minor breach of the site, and combined with Habsey's advice above to change password there seems to be at least concern (or more likely no-one knows) that people's information may have been accessed and taken.

Depending on how the username, password, other profile information is stored on the site/backend database people should be aware that your information MAY be in the hands of the site attacker, who then will turn around and dump the database for sale on the dark web if anything of value was found. If you are using the same username/email address/password combo at other sites you should immediately change your information on those other sites, unless Habsy or someone else from the site can definitely confirm that information was not taken.

I understand this site is more of a passion project (and one that I very much enjoy) versus a commercial site so there is lower level of expectation around privacy or security. That said people should be aware of the risk that re-using username/email & password combinations across many sites can present if one site is subjected to a data breach. Hopefully the passwords people use here at Forumice are not the same ones used for other more critical sites, such as banking, healthcare, etc. If so it would be a good idea to change those sites!

Habsy - If there was a chance information was taken from the site such as the user DB, it would probably be a good idea (and required by law in many regions) to notify the user base so they can assess if they need to change any passwords for other sites. Not trying to be an alarmist, but I deal with this crap everyday. Thanks for all your hard work maintaining the site and good luck on the server rebuild. Malicous hackers suck!

Back