• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Yes, yes, yes.

There is no franchise center where we're going to be drafting.

Random thought: If we do end up getting the #1 pick, I'd be shopping it like crazy to all the teams drafting between 2 & 5.

I am all aboard the Quinn Hughes bandwagon.

I personally like Boqvist better than Hughes.

And Edmonton gets a generational dman to go with their generational centre.

If Dahlin is as good as he appears to be, this could still be a bad trade for Montreal. But it does give them a #1 centre and a very good prospect with that number 3 or whatever pick it would be.

It's a pipe dream though... we'd never be lucky enough to win the lottery.

In addition if it were to all work out , the Habs would feel pressure to unload one of the Price, Weber contracts, which may not be easy.

I believe both Weber and Price could get us pretty good return. Their contracts are not as immovable as some seem to think.

Just draft dahlin and don't sign him. Thst way we suck just as much next season, hopefully grab Hughes and there, rebuild done. Hughes and dahlin both coming in at the same time?

Pipe dream of course, this isnt the Edmonton oilers era of drafting.

Not even close. The rebuild will take 3-4 years minimum.

I just really ****ing hope that they will be patient and not trade for a quick fix for next year. This is what would piss me the most and it is exactly what I'm expecting them to do.

Dahlin/Hughes would push that timeline ahead immensely.

The rebuild is all about the quality of players coming in.
Definitely. That's an elite dman and an elite centre.

Obviously even the most elite prospects have some growing pains... but these guys will be very good right away.

I draft Dahlin unless you can trade it for a fortune.

Draisaitl and the 3rd (?) overall pick for Dahlin?

Of course, if nobody's giving up much, you take Dahlin. Edmonton's not going to give up that much, unfortunately. But if, say, Vancouver's willing to give up their first (assuming it's #5), next year's first and then some? Oh, I definitely do that.

However, there's a certain hysteria around Dahlin that I don't quite get. Is he a future franchise #1 d-man? Most likely. Is he the second coming of Erik Karlsson or Niklas Lidstrom like some make him out to be? Yeah, I'm not there.

Quinn Hughes, however, will in all likelihood be available at 5 and probably even lower because he's 5'9".

Remember two years ago when I had a thing for Samuel Girard? Yeah, he's exactly like Girard, except better in every way.

I just really ****ing hope that they will be patient and not trade for a quick fix for next year. This is what would piss me the most and it is exactly what I'm expecting them to do.

I'm writing something about this. There are ways to speed up the rebuild, however I don't expect anyone in management to do a thing about it. They have all of their taylor-made excuses ready and they will all be trotted out at the end of season press conference.

Dahlin/Hughes would push that timeline ahead immensely.

The rebuild is all about the quality of players coming in.

Sure, it would speed things up. However, as Edmonton has demonstrated, drafting first overall 26 straight years will keep you in the league basement if you can't draft NHL players elsewhere.

Rebuilding is much more complicated than simply drafting #1 overall once or twice in a row.

I believe both Weber and Price could get us pretty good return. Their contracts are not as immovable as some seem to think.

Price is one of the most immovable contracts in the NHL for two reasons, none having to do with his play;

1- Length & $ value, not many teams can acquire players with that much $ without it being a very tricky trade.

2- How many teams can afford are contract that is ~70% in signing bonuses? Price has signing bonuses every summer. $13M this summer, $13M next summer, along with $2M base salaries. Those a hefty sums.

If he is tradeable, I believe it will be only as of July 2nd 2019 when he's received $28M out of the 84 owed.

Last edited:
My scout buddy loves him , and if he was 6 feet and 200 pounds he thinks would give RD a run for #1.

For me I want Zadina or Tkatchuk and dont want us falling past 5 if possible.

If he was 6', he'd be the consensus #1.

Also, I don't want Tkachuk unless we're drafting 7 or 8. Many, many better forwards available than him. He might be 4th or 5th best forward available.

hahah, 0 chance Molson admits MB is a failure and let's that happen and trades either of those 2. Next year, MB is going for JT and going to pretend like this year was just a 'fluke' off year. We are not rebuilding with Molson as owner.

I guess it depends if Price first agrees to waive his NMC and what the Habs could get in return. If the return is good, maybe the Habs would agree to pay the first two $13M bonuses or part of it? If that's allowed.

I guess it depends if Price first agrees to waive his NMC and what the Habs could get in return. If the return is good, maybe the Habs would agree to pay the first two $13M bonuses or part of it? If that's allowed.

Signing bonuses are always paid on July 1st of every year, so as of July 2nd 2019, he'll be much easier to trade.

Exactly and only if the execution starts this summer with a Rangers style rebuild . We need to nail 3 drafts and trades and maybe if all goes well we can do what the Leafs did since the 2013 draft.

There is no quick fix , we destroyed our asset base .

Back