• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Pick Hughes and move on .. His skill set is what we need for this porous D and the gap between the two is not enough to take Zadina .

All things being equal, and the habs good track record of finding defensemen in later rounds, I say pick the forward.

What they need is to have, at worst, the 3rd best player from that draft, not the 3rd best ranked player.

true but if you take the 3rd ranked, it is more difficult for anyone to complain afterward

It was like with Leblanc, we took him in the exact spot where he was ranked, hard really to complain afterward

From most what I've read from professionals, with all due respect to Geeman, DonKay, etc., Zadina seems to be rated as the 3rd "best" player in the draft. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly confident that MB doesn't believe that he will get a mulligan if he makes a mistake here. Zadina seems the obvious, i.e., safest, pick at 3.
Will find out in a little less than a month what Ducharme & Jo Jo Bouchard think of Zadina.

From 2-9 anyone could emerge as the next best player ( assuming Dahlin is king )

Reminds me of 2015 where Brock, Marner and Barzal among others are great after 3

Yup, that's how I'm starting to see it.

Consensus is dahlin and svechnikov at 1 and 2

But there is talk about certain players emerging and starting to climb

Is the fact Zadina didn't get an invite to the WC to represent the Czechs maybe hurting his status as the #3?
While a player like Hughes seems to have benefited from the experience as he turned some heads

Yup, that's how I'm starting to see it.

Consensus is dahlin and svechnikov at 1 and 2

But there is talk about certain players emerging and starting to climb

Is the fact Zadina didn't get an invite to the WC to represent the Czechs maybe hurting his status as the #3?
While a player like Hughes seems to have benefited from the experience as he turned some heads

BPA is always the approach to take . However when rankings are so close and some players are ready to step in filling your need is not a problem IMO .

Next to a legit 1C , a premium dynamic puck mover like Hughes is way more important than another winger in Zadina .

He would be 6`s partner and dramatically upgrade our D .

From most what I've read from professionals, with all due respect to Geeman, DonKay, etc., Zadina seems to be rated as the 3rd "best" player in the draft. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly confident that MB doesn't believe that he will get a mulligan if he makes a mistake here. Zadina seems the obvious, i.e., safest, pick at 3.
True, but Pulljarvi was also the consensus safest pick at #3 2 years ago.

If you take a player where he is ranked, hard to complain.

Christ apparently Timmins had him 9th on his own list, but now conveniently wanted Kreider who was lower on his own list.

I can't remember how high that one was ranked. It was a silly choice given you never take a guy with epilepsy and a bad back in the top 10 when the guy you needed, a right handed tall centre who can score was right there for the taking.

Back