• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

I highly doubt we trade our pick. I'm also quite convinced that Max gets traded.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we trade at least one of our 2nd for some help on defense. I just hope we keep at least 3 of those 2nd round picks.

I wouldn't be shocked if he trades 3 of them. MB is a desperate man. I can see him heavily over paying for an expensive 4th or 5th dman.

Yes ... but there are no stud centremen available this draft. Under pressure what will MB do to get one ?

My point in regards to Dahlin being a "generational" talent is simply: It's impossible to know right now. The two best d-men in the last 30 years, Nik Lidstrom and Raymond Bourque, were not seen as "generational" players during their draft years even though that's what they ended up as. Chris Pronger, Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman, all taken #2 overall in the last 25 years, are all going to finish in the HHOF and probably as first ballot'ers, none were seen as generational talents in their draft years. Defensemen take time because, for obvious reasons, the position is way, way more difficult than that of a forward. Crosby & McDavid were seen as generational talents years before their draft years because forwards with all-time great talent like they have are easier to identify. That's why when you check the top scorers in the NHL, it's usually littered with top-5 picks.

I do think he's a franchise d-man and I do think he'll have an excellent career and probably be in the running for the Norris.

But this "skates like Karlsson and defends like Lidstrom" bullshit? Spare me. If Dahlin was as good as some claim he is, he would have been one of the top (if not the top) defenseman in the Olympics. He barely played. If Dahlin was so good, he wouldn't have skipped on the World Championships in a few weeks because he's tired from the 55-odd games in a relatively easy (In a physical sense) league with virtually no hitting in it.

yee
happens every year...ppl try to play that the number 1 pick isnt the number 1 pick

i mean some people started wondering about mcdavid and eichel
lolcats

It's one of the great mysteries I've ever seen. Not that people wondered if Eichel could be > than McDavid, but that not one person is even questioning if someone could be better than Dahlin. You know, it's funny, but if you look at pre-draft rankings, anybody who goes off script is deemed a lone wolf and an attention whore. I remember in 2015 when HockeyProspects had ranked Kyle Connor 5th or 6th on their lists when everyone unanimously had him around 13 or so. They were laughed at by people who said they put him there as a way to garnish attention. Three years later, with hindsight being what it is, if you had to re-draft 2015, he probably isn't the 5th best prospect available, but he's a lot closer to 5 than he was to 13 and a lot better than the 17th rank the Jets stole him at.

For the record, I was one of the rare people who had Seguin above Hall in their draft years. For whatever that's worth.

It's one of the great mysteries I've ever seen. Not that people wondered if Eichel could be > than McDavid, but that not one person is even questioning if someone could be better than Dahlin. You know, it's funny, but if you look at pre-draft rankings, anybody who goes off script is deemed a lone wolf and an attention whore. I remember in 2015 when HockeyProspects had ranked Kyle Connor 5th or 6th on their lists when everyone unanimously had him around 13 or so. They were laughed at by people who said they put him there as a way to garnish attention. Three years later, with hindsight being what it is, if you had to re-draft 2015, he probably isn't the 5th best prospect available, but he's a lot closer to 5 than he was to 13 and a lot better than the 17th rank the Jets stole him at.

For the record, I was one of the rare people who had Seguin above Hall in their draft years. For whatever that's worth.
Forsberg at 1 was also a thing... That one was right

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forsberg at 1 was also a thing... That one was right

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forsberg at 1 was earlier in the season back in 2011-2012, he didn't have a great season afterwards. At the time of the draft, Yakupov was a near-unanimous #1 overall pick. Hindsight shows that that was completely wrong.

In the end, the final pre-draft rankings are always different from who the actual best players end up being.

The Tyler VS Taylor debate was going on all draft season ..it was the one of the biggest toss ups I have seen in draft years .

Hell, that's still arguable. Hall is awesome.

Yeah that's pretty much still a toss up.

???

Am I missing something?

No, it isn't. Seguin's been the better player throughout his career and while it isn't a large gap, I don't think it's much of a debate either. Better player in a more demanding position (Center always > winger), more consistent, significantly better goal scorer, less injury prone. The only case Hall might have is a better start to his career and the best single season of either player, but outside of that...

Seguin being a center is a plus for any Hab fan

Since it's worth repeating, often times a center can be put on wing and remain efficient, however it is very rare a winger can be put at center and remain efficient.

This isn't exclusive to Jonathan Drouin.

???

Am I missing something?

No, it isn't. Seguin's been the better player throughout his career and while it isn't a large gap, I don't think it's much of a debate either. Better player in a more demanding position (Center always > winger), more consistent, significantly better goal scorer, less injury prone. The only case Hall might have is a better start to his career and the best single season of either player, but outside of that...

Question is .......do you see TS carrying Jersey on his back to the playoffs like Hall did this year ?

I like them both but cant see TS doing what Hall did this year in a reverse role .

Hall had no Radu or Benn and nearly doubled NS in points .

He was dominant and should win MVP

???

Am I missing something?

Seguin being healthy for most of his career and being a center gave him an edge. However when healthy Hall has been more productive while always playing on shitty teams. This season, Hall was the better of the two.

Seguin has been more steady season to season though while Hall had very productive season and some so so. But playing on bottom feeders the Oilers and Devils is an handicap for Hall, compared to playing on the Bruins and Stars.

Still, playing center gives an edge to Seguin, but it's not that clear cut.

Question is .......do you see TS carrying Jersey on his back to the playoffs like Hall did this year ?

I like them both but cant see TS doing what Hall did this year in a reverse role .

Hall had no Radu or Benn and nearly doubled NS in points .

He was dominant and should win MVP

Exactly

Seguin being healthy for most of his career and being a center gave him an edge. However when healthy Hall has been more productive while always playing on shitty teams. This season, Hall was the better of the two.

Seguin has been more steady season to season though while Hall had very productive season and some so so. But playing on bottom feeders the Oilers and Devils is an handicap for Hall, compared to playing on the Bruins and Stars.

Still, playing center gives an edge to Seguin, but it's not that clear cut.

This is somewhat similar to what I was going to say.

Ultimately I'd probably take Seguin but I do believe they're close enough that it's arguble. Especially given the fact that Hall has bee a little more productive.

Given that Seguin is the centre, he likely gets the nod.

Back