• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

If I want entertainment I’ll go to a movie or watch TV . . . or hang out here. If the Canadiens believe that the Finn can develop into a legit. first line center - like Sean Couturier has over time - than they should draft him at no. 3. If they don’t believe that, then pick someone else at no. 3.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Lukas Dostal isn't ranked anywhere. Might be a tiny bit on the small side for a goalie, but as a project, he's someone I'd look into with a 4th/5th round pick.

Hughes also ranked high on the compete level , like Tkachuk. That will win a few brownie points with the Habs.

Hughes also ranked high on the compete level , like Tkachuk. That will win a few brownie points with the Habs.

Still it seems Hughes star is shinnig a bit less. I was listening to McKenzie's podcast and he mentionned that he isn't the defacto second best dman in this draft and that Bouchard or Dobson could be taken before him has some teams like him more than Hughes. If you read on Hughes, they all mention he will be Top 4, not everyone seems to put him as a sure fire Top 2 dman.

I agree with Krusty though, if Habs things Kotkaniemi (anyone else has to look up his name to know how to spell it every time?) is the best player and the one they really want, then they should pick him at #3. Even trading down 2 or 3 spot just to see another team picking him would be a disaster. Some are comparing him to Kopitar and see the same "late" rise to star that Dubois went to when the Blue Jackets drafted him #3 and suprised a few people. Dubois was the Jackets #1 center this season.

Having two #2 center is still better than no center at all. So Already having poelling doens't mean we can't trade this guy. There are an article on Atheltics that analyse why Kotkaniemi star raised in recent weeks. A lot are saying that he was probably under evaluated before. There is obviously some position biais here but on McKenzie's podcast, he mentionned that after speaking one last round of discussion with his NHL scount contacts, that Kotkaniemi Is not a reach at #3 anymore and a lot of team have him in their top 5 now.

Last edited:
If I want entertainment I’ll go to a movie or watch TV . . . or hang out here. If the Canadiens believe that the Finn can develop into a legit. first line center - like Sean Couturier has over time - than they should draft him at no. 3. If they don’t believe that, then pick someone else at no. 3.

This morning, on TSN radio in MTL, they had one of the rankings, and the Finn was ranked much lower than #5....the rationale behind this was that his speed is average at best, which might not translate well into this new fast-paced NHL. He'll make the NHL, but he won't be dominating because of his lack of speed.

It's not the first time I hear reports that his speed might be an issue.

If we were picking #7 or 8, sure take the Finn.....but at #3, maybe you take players suited for the speed of the NHL....like Zadina, BT, Quinn

I think they will take Zadina or Tkatchuk.....especially when I hear that Zadina is responsible in his own zone....Habs love those players, and he can score

This morning, on TSN radio in MTL, they had one of the rankings, and the Finn was ranked much lower than #5....the rationale behind this was that his speed is average at best, which might not translate well into this new fast-paced NHL. He'll make the NHL, but he won't be dominating because of his lack of speed.

It's not the first time I hear reports that his speed might be an issue.

If we were picking #7 or 8, sure take the Finn.....but at #3, maybe you take players suited for the speed of the NHL....like Zadina, BT, Quinn

I think they will take Zadina or Tkatchuk.....especially when I hear that Zadina is responsible in his own zone....Habs love those players, and he can score

see here: https://www.nhl.com/news/jesperi-kotkaniemi-2018-nhl-draft/c-299077392

Apparently, he has already started to improve his skating. While not his strenght, is consider above average. He is also one of the youngest player in this draft so he has time to mature and improve on his skating. Obviously, if the Habs draft him, they beleive it's not a show stopper.

I wouldn't be mad if we pick Zadina or another pure talent guy. But since we just can't trade or sign talented center with this franchise, our only saving grace is to draft them.

Last edited:
In case anyone’s interested:

Jay O’Brien - I’m suspecting someone will go off the board and pick him mid/late in the 1st round- projected to go 2nd round. Plays for a prep school nearby, has been trending upwards (more like skyrocketing). Has committed to Providence College as of fall. Hopefully he’ll be around for the Habs early 2nd, but may need to move up..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ha...hlights-video-analysis-scouting-report-centre

Jake Wise (thanks Nova!) - another local kid, gone he USHL route vs prep school, was expected to go top-10 1st round but early season injury hurt his cause. I see a lot of Ryan Donato.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jake-wise-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

IMO, if the Habs can land both these Cs along with the 1st rounder actually panning out to projections, and perhaps adding another 1st rounder with a Max deal, rebuild/retool could be 90% completed in one draft.

Last edited:
I would go so far as to say, don’t use 3rd for Kotkaniemi, pick Hughes instead, shore up that 1st pairing offensive driver Dman with the 3rd overall, and make sure you land O’Brien & Wise to shore up the C need.

IMO O’Brien will be this drafts Pastrnak.

I feel like I am alone on this board when it comes to Tkachuk. I really like the kid.

i do not mind him

but i honestly do not feel strongly about anyone the habs may get

i just hope they pick a high upside guy.....whoever that might be
even if they bust like chuck :p

I think I've settled on who I want us to pick. Quinn Hughes. I think he's the highest upside player available at #3. That kind of skating makes his floor and ceiling higher than anyone imo.

if the habs traded subban for hockey reasons there is no way we draft hughes....

I would go so far as to say, don’t use 3rd for Kotkaniemi, pick Hughes instead, shore up that 1st pairing offensive driver Dman with the 3rd overall, and make sure you land O’Brien & Wise to shore up the C need.

IMO O’Brien will be this drafts Pastrnak.

Agreed , but you trust turnip head to pull this off

Hasn't it taken SC 8 years to develop? MB isn't working with an 7-8 year lifeline.... I hope.

Back