• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

For those who are all in on the Dahlin is generational bandwagon, here are what some NHL scouts have to say:

https://theathletic.com/368183/2018...fencemen-after-dahlin-and-sleepers-and-busts/

Strange.

very small sample of scouts but

seems like there is some thought that he is generational

It was no surprise to see Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin as the top-pick though there was disagreement about whether he is in fact a “generational talent.”

“I think this will go down as one of the weaker ones in recent memory,” said an NHL scout. “There are some very good players in the top 10-15, and then there is a drop off. I also think the number of players that make it after being late selections will be real low from this group. I expect a lot of second (time) eligibles and older (players) taken.”

darn

Is there anyone in this draft class with potential to be a No. 1 centre in the NHL?

“Jesperi Kotkaniemi, (Assat, Liiga) — he’s a full-ice two-way player that can do it all.”
“I think Jesperi Kotkaniemi has a good chance. He has all the things you look for: Has size, plays all 200 feet while showing some high-end offence.”
“I struggle to find a true No. 1 centre in this year’s draft. There are players with potential such as Kotkaniemi but the jury is out on that.”
“Kotkamiemi has the best potential, but there isn’t anyone I’d put money on.”
“There are a few intriguing centres, but not any who project to be a lock as a No. 1 NHL centre down the road.”
“Potentially, there could be Joseph Veleno (Drummondville, QMJHL) or Kotkaniemi, but I’m not convinced with either one of them. It wouldn’t surprise me if — when all is said and done — not even one from this draft class ends up as a No. 1 centre.”
“From the players I’ve seen, I’d say: No.”

interesting...they seem to agree here more than on the other questions

interesting...they seem to agree here more than on the other questions
That why I prefer Habs draft Hughes who at worst will be a Torrey Krug +, who BTW would be very solid partner for Weber, then take the C chances on O’Brien & Wise.

That why I prefer Habs draft Hughes who at worst will be a Torrey Krug +, who BTW would be very solid partner for Weber, then take the C chances on O’Brien & Wise.
Urmmm. Don't read the article then. They say after dahlin it is crap for dmen

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

that said i am not sure how much weight you can put into this article as scouts/teams might be playing the media to divert attention

two of the scouts are directors of amateur scouting so you can bet they are not giving away secrets

Just for kicks, here would be our first six picks based on Bob McKenzie's final rankings:

3. Brady Tkachuk - LW
35. Jack McBain - C
38. Jonatan Berggen - LW
56. Jakub Skarek - G
62. Tyler Madden - C
66. Ty Emberson - D

Just for kicks, here would be our first six picks based on Bob McKenzie's final rankings:

3. Brady Tkachuk - LW
35. Jack McBain - C
38. Jonatan Berggen - LW
56. Jakub Skarek - G
62. Tyler Madden - C
66. Ty Emberson - D

only one centre?

stupid

:p

I would have no issue taking a goaltender later in the draft. Get a Euro prospect who won't come to North America until he's 21 or 22 or someone who's probably going to need the full four year ride in the NCAA like Hayden Hawkey or Callen Primeau (who, in hindsight, might just need two full years before going pro).

If Lukas Dostal drops to the fourth or fifth round, that's the guy I'd want. He's a project, but he showed some interesting things at the U18.

Krug wasnt drafted , Hughes is highly rated .

I cant see him or Boquist being a fop in this new NHL

John Shannon:
Peter Chiarelli says he’s prepared to move the 10th pick for a quality defenceman. Has had “some” discussion. Admits it’s not that easy.

1st round pick, 3rd overall - Montréal
2nd round pick, 35th overall - Montréal
2nd round pick, 38th overall - Montréal (from Chicago - Danault trade)
2nd round pick, 56th overall - Montréal (from Toronto - Plekanec trade)
2nd round pick, 62nd overall - Montréal (from Washington - Eller trade)
3rd round pick, 66th overall - Montréal
4th round pick, 97th overall - Montréal (from Los Angeles via Montréal - King trade, Mitchell trade)
4th round pick, 102nd overall - Montréal (from Edmonton - Montoya trade)
4th round pick, 122nd overall - Montréal (from Winnipeg - Morrow trade)
5th round pick, 128th overall - Montréal

A lot of second round picks there. Lets hope for a year like 2011....here are some of those second rounders
Nikita Kucherov
Matthew Nieto
Victor Rask
John Gibson
Boone Jenner
William Karlsson

note: johnny hockey was a 4th rounder that year

The games changed a lot since, haven’t seen many skill based forwards slip pas early 2nd round since, glaring exception likely being Point in 2014.

The games changed a lot since, haven’t seen many skill based forwards slip pas early 2nd round since, glaring exception likely being Point in 2014.

Hard to judge the last few drafts though. Lots of these guys are 4 years from even starting NHL careers
Arvidsson was another from 2014

Labanc seems decent

Dermott and Aho from 2015 appear good
ya - pretty much impossible to tell even about 2015 as Strome i bet turns out good and he has not broke in to the league yet

Back