• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

From what i have read MB wants a hell of a lot more than a first round pic. And you guys are thinking that it would take more than one of the best scorers in the league to obtain a number 10 pic. I dont think MB is correct but is closer to reality in his worth is.
Yeah I think the price for Max is 1st Rd pick ++. However, that obviously change with the quality of the pick received. If it's a top 10 pick, it might be a swap.

From what i have read MB wants a hell of a lot more than a first round pic. And you guys are thinking that it would take more than one of the best scorers in the league to obtain a number 10 pic. I dont think MB is correct but is closer to reality in his worth is.

I think 67 will get a pretty good return, though he would need to be in the trade to land top-12 pick.

There’s no way Lindgren+3rd lands that kind of return.

It will be funny when Hughes falls in the first round like Cam Fowler did many years ago and is drafted around no. 15 or so.

He’s gonna high, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Ottawa takes him and trade karlsson

He’s gonna high, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Ottawa takes him and trade karlsson

This is a potentially perilous scenario for Ottawa, given that Karlsson is involved.

They may feel compelled to try to move up to #2. It might irk them that a defenceman-starved team is sitting at #3.

It will be funny when Hughes falls in the first round like Cam Fowler did many years ago and is drafted around no. 15 or so.

It'll be even funnier when the New York Rangers select someone projected to go around 20 to 25 like Benoit-Olivier Groulx like they did with Dylan McIlrath.

The Habs should try to get a pick in the mid first round and target Merkley.

They can play BPA/safe with the other 5 picks in the first two rounds.

Would anyone be shocked if we take Wahlstrom at #3?

I would be surprised with any pick not named Zadina or Svechnikov. Tbe people who run the draft, i.e. MB and TT, are not currently in a position where it makes sense for them to go even a little "off the reservation" as Baldy once famously said.

I would be surprised with any pick not named Zadina or Svechnikov. Tbe people who run the draft, i.e. MB and TT, are not currently in a position where it makes sense for them to go even a little "off the reservation" as Baldy once famously said.

The thing is that Zadina is a A level prospect, but so are the other names being mentioned.

What they need is to have, at worst, the 3rd best player from that draft, not the 3rd best ranked player.

What they need is to have, at worst, the 3rd best player from that draft, not the 3rd best ranked player.

From 2-9 anyone could emerge as the next best player ( assuming Dahlin is king )

Reminds me of 2015 where Brock, Marner and Barzal among others are great after 3

From most what I've read from professionals, with all due respect to Geeman, DonKay, etc., Zadina seems to be rated as the 3rd "best" player in the draft. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly confident that MB doesn't believe that he will get a mulligan if he makes a mistake here. Zadina seems the obvious, i.e., safest, pick at 3.

The thing is that Zadina is a A level prospect, but so are the other names being mentioned.

I think Zadina is by consensus # 3 because he has some elite stuff going for him that other players do not have. For example an elite shot + ability to protect the puck and create his own scoring chances. In addition he is a very good skater, can lead the rush and has decent size. The only knock against him is his play without the puck and his defensive game. In other words he still needs to round out his game to fit the pro style of hockey and play effectively against men. But the raw skills he has cannot be taught.

On the other hand players like Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom have good attributes like stickhandling abilities for the Finn and a great shot for Wahlstrom, but both are said to need work on their skating....thats a bit of a red flag.

Last edited:
I think Zadina is by consensus # 3 because he has some elite stuff going for him that other players do not have. For example an elite shot + ability to protect the puck and create his own scoring chances. In addition he is a very good skater, can lead the rush and has decent size. The only knock against him is his play without the puck and his defensive game. In other words he still needs to round out his game to fit the pro style of hockey and play effectively against men. But the raw skills he has cannot be taught.

On the other hand players like Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom have good attributes like stickhandling abilities for the Finn and a great shot for Wahlstrom, but both are said to need work on their skating....thats a bit of a red flag.

Pick Hughes and move on .. His skill set is what we need for this porous D and the gap between the two is not enough to take Zadina .

Back