• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

One only needs to compare Colorado's bank of prospects and their young NHL talent with ours and the comparison ends.

Some crazies here thought Chuckie and a 2nd would fetch us MacKinnon.

You know what we should do? The same thing we've been doing the last two decades because we've come so close to winning the cup lol.. I think every single fan has accepted we need a rebuild to win the cup, but a patch job to just stay mediocre and squeak into the playoffs.
We could do the Expos way, that worked well...

As long as we have Dummins drafting, the Ville St Pierre flash running development and Lefebvre in Laval, we might as well patch as those high draft choices will never turn into what they would with other teams.

One need only look at the cluster-f* the Avs were last season.

Let me state this scenario is Highly improbable :

However, should Habs land Dahlin, sign JT & convert Pacioretty into multiple young components (for example Pearson + Villardi type deal) this team should be able to rebound and make the playoffs.

FWIW, I expect there will be major player moves this offseason league wide. GM who will have major pressure to make playoff noise (Kings, STL etc) & others who need a major retool (Hawks)

please......the Avs were a clusterfk from the top down last year , totally dysfunctional .

When that is your environment try going to work with a smile on your face .

Give me Nate , MR , GL, Barrie and maybe we arent bottom feeders .

We are not getting JT and 67 isnt fetching your dream haul .

Yes there will be major movement with big names this summer starting with a JT sign and trade at the draft IMO.

We could do the Expos way, that worked well...

As long as we have Dummins drafting, the Ville St Pierre flash running development and Lefebvre in Laval, we might as well patch as those high draft choices will never turn into what they would with other teams.

Entirely different environment and you know that. Expos couldn't spend with the big boys, the Habs can. Whoever gets the #1 pick this year doesn't even need a scout.

Centre...

I was sure I read some here writing he wasn't worth it.

My arguement last summer in regards to trading Sergachev was if you're going to trade him, fine. Trade him for a real center like MacKinnon then. If the price is too high and/or Colorado won't trade him, you keep him. The future would look much better with Sergachev than with Drouin.

Not only that, we traded our only asset with any value. Our most valuable asset now is the 2018 first round pick, but it would be the height of stupidity to trade it now (save for trading down in the draft).

My arguement last summer in regards to trading Sergachev was if you're going to trade him, fine. Trade him for a real center like MacKinnon then. If the price is too high and/or Colorado won't trade him, you keep him. The future would look much better with Sergachev than with Drouin.

Bingo and not only that his production has been meh this year , and I don't buy this out of position talk .

He has better defensive awareness than 27 at C , he simply hasn't produced .

Bingo and not only that his production has been meh this year , and I don't buy this out of position talk .

At least he's on an ELC like Sergachev is.

If we care about plus/minus, Galchenyuk was a MUCH much better defensive C than Drouin,

None of the narratives around Galchenyuk line up with facts.

Declaring Drouin a bust at his age and after just one season in which the entire team sucked is no better than when people declared Galchenyuk a bust when he didn't put up a ROY type season right off the hop. It's way too early to say what any kid that age is going to be for his career. Sergachev looks okay right now playing on a first place club but Tyler Myers looked all-world when he first broke into the league as well. Now he's topped out as just a "comme ci, comme ca" defenseman for the Jets. For all we know, Juulsen could turn out to have a better career than Sergachev.

Back in the late 60's the Rangers were very high on a defenseman named Mike Robitaille, who they had groomed as a junior with the Kitchener Rangers (back when NHL teams sponsored their own junior teams prior to the universal draft) Everything was going great for him until a kid named Brad Park showed up and made Robitaille redundant. Robitaille ended up being traded to Buffalo and had an okay NHL career but Park is the guy who went to the HHOF.

Whenever someone references 60 years ago as part of their argument they lose me.

Also, I don't really think anyone is declaring Drouin a bust. He might be one, but not sure where you are getting the idea that people have "declared" him one already.

Whenever someone references 60 years ago as part of their argument they lose me.

Also, I don't really think anyone is declaring Drouin a bust. He might be one, but not sure where you are getting the idea that people have "declared" him one already.

Well there is Geeman who is calling him Drubust.

The way Drouin effortlessly glides on the ice and is skilled enough to add a subtle, deft hesitation move to his game to throw defenders off etc...its clear he is the most skilled forward this team has had in a long time. But will this skill lead to productivity, that is the question.

Last edited:
He's super skilled but the production we got from him this year is unacceptable. He has an history of taking a full year to adapt to a new environment, hopefully that will be the case because getting about 40-50 points from him would be a major disappointment. Many nights he's just floating out there.

Back