• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Exactly and only if the execution starts this summer with a Rangers style rebuild . We need to nail 3 drafts and trades and maybe if all goes well we can do what the Leafs did since the 2013 draft.

The Rangers did ok with the McDonagh trade. The two prospects they got aren't high end.

Price is one of the most immovable contracts in the NHL for two reasons, none having to do with his play;

1- Length & $ value, not many teams can acquire players with that much $ without it being a very tricky trade.

2- How many teams can afford are contract that is ~70% in signing bonuses? Price has signing bonuses every summer. $13M this summer, $13M next summer, along with $2M base salaries. Those a hefty sums.

If he is tradeable, I believe it will be only as of July 2nd 2019 when he's received $28M out of the 84 owed.

We will have to eat some decent coin in any Price trade to get any value. Any trade will have to be facilitated by 31 to mutually exit this team.

Last edited:
The Rangers did ok with the McDonagh trade. The two prospects they got aren't high end.

They made 2 excellent trades with Stepan and Brassard , along with the deadline deals.

Regime gets top marks for accepting a team that hit the wall and only serious changes can get the team competitive .

They will probably luck out in this draft and wouldn't be surprised in the model will accommodate a trade this summer .

They made 2 excellent trades with Stepan and Brassard , along with the deadline deals.

Regime gets top marks for accepting a team that hit the wall and only serious changes can get the team competitive .

They will probably luck out in this draft and wouldn't be surprised in the model will accommodate a trade this summer .

They also have the luxury of knowing that they can rebuild and reload quickly because most players want to play in NYC. They aren't exactly a Siberian-style outpost like most Canadian based teams.

The Stepan trade was good until they took Andersson over Mittelstadt or Mecas.

The Brassard trade is TBD, depends who they take with Ottawa's pick.

Thing is, with those three trades, New York hasn't gotten one great prospect among all of those picks or the players used. It's great to say you got a bunch of picks, but you need to make something out of them.

They also have the luxury of knowing that they can rebuild and reload quickly because most players want to play in NYC. They aren't exactly a Siberian-style outpost like most Canadian based teams.

Even if players will wave their NTC or free agents joining them that is only the icing on the cake, knowing help maybe on the way.

Every year there are few quality impact free agents that move any needle .

The core of your team will be your drafted players . The Rags are collecting picks and draft capital to rebuild.

Having the advantage to add a piece here and there from other sources helps .

The Stepan trade was good until they took Andersson over Mittelstadt or Mecas.

The Brassard trade is TBD, depends who they take with Ottawa's pick.

Thing is, with those three trades, New York hasn't gotten one great prospect among all of those picks or the players used. It's great to say you got a bunch of picks, but you need to make something out of them.

Thing is they are doing the exact moves you mentioned yesterday about the Habs , unload to eventually reload when your team has run its course.

Accepting this and some growing pains is half your battle to respectability.

MZ for Brassard was a steal and he is only 24. You make that deal any day of the weak .

Lias is going to be a hell of a player in this league and trust his development in NY over Casey in Buffalo.

Last edited:
This is what puzzles me to no end . Throwing money at JT or picking up some vets to buy time is all futile .

There is no functioning flowchart that doesn't start with a tear down .
I know this, you know this, but they're going to try to fix it to make the playoffs next year, and we both know this.

I know this, you know this, but they're going to try to fix it to make the playoffs next year, and we both know this.

I don't see any scenario for the playoffs next year unless 31 walks on water and steals those 12-15 points .

There is no is upside on this team . If some think 27,92 and 62 are going to turn into bonefide top line players we need to keep drinking more.

What can we realistically add to this team to fix this mess. On what planet is Nero the clown going to find 2 top centres , Weber's partner , another top 6 scorer , and some depth.

You can't find 4 core players in a summer haul , this isn't the NFL .

I don't see any scenario for the playoffs next year unless 31 walks on water and steals those 12-15 points .

There is no is upside on this team . If some think 27,92 and 62 are going to turn into bonefide top line players we need to keep drinking more.

What can we realistically add to this team to fix this mess. On what planet is Nero the clown going to find 2 top centres , Weber's partner , another top 6 scorer , and some depth.

One need only look at the cluster-f* the Avs were last season.

Let me state this scenario is Highly improbable :

However, should Habs land Dahlin, sign JT & convert Pacioretty into multiple young components (for example Pearson + Villardi type deal) this team should be able to rebound and make the playoffs.

FWIW, I expect there will be major player moves this offseason league wide. GM who will have major pressure to make playoff noise (Kings, STL etc) & others who need a major retool (Hawks)

One need only look at the cluster-f* the Avs were last season.

Let me state this scenario is Highly improbable :

However, should Habs land Dahlin, sign JT & convert Pacioretty into multiple young components (for example Pearson + Villardi type deal) this team should be able to rebound and make the playoffs.

FWIW, I expect there will be major player moves this offseason league wide. GM who will have major pressure to make playoff noise (Kings, STL etc) & others who need a major retool (Hawks)

One only needs to compare Colorado's bank of prospects and their young NHL talent with ours and the comparison ends.

Half the teams make the playoffs and you know we'll sign a forward FA. Molson is not admitting failure, there is no 2 year rebuild. He will do things half-ass as usual and we will be in the playoff hunt. I keep repeating, the sad thing is people will actually think we'll have a chance if we sign a guy like JT forgetting all our other holes, and that's what keeps Molson making money with this franchise.

I can guarantee with almost certainty that during his post mortem presser in typical MB fashion he will defintely make sure everyone knows how TB went from non playoff team to best team in the NHL

Its what he does best....deflect and deflect rather than discuss the real problems his team has at every level

Maybe because we hadn't had such a prolonged stench of failure at the time and because he was linked to our glorious past, I had some empathy when Houle was GM, even if he wasn't very good at it. I just figured things would eventually right themselves, as they usually did over the years during less successful periods. Also, you kind of knew Houle didn't see himself as any so-called expert, he was just a nice guy trying his best. Bergevin just pisses me off.

When did rebuild come to mean play an ECHL team for 3-4 yrs?

You know what we should do? The same thing we've been doing the last two decades because we've come so close to winning the cup lol.. I think every single fan has accepted we need a rebuild to win the cup, but a patch job to just stay mediocre and squeak into the playoffs.

Back