• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

We're going to get a great player no matter what, I'm not too worried

that is not true...not even true that we get a good player
Not good top 8 picks:

Erik Gudbranson
Brett Connolly
Griffin Reinhart
Nail Yakupov
Derrick Pouliot
Michael Dal Colle

even when i did the last bunch of year number 3 picks there was a list of the odd great, some good, and some busts

Dunno, I feel the bust factor of the top 6-7 players this year is pretty low.

I actually feel that Jesperi might have the highest bust risk of the bunch.

Looking back at a strong draft like 2003, there was now a lot of busts. Zherdev was the biggest disappointment in the top five but he still had 3 50+ seasons before bolting to the KHL. Coburn had a solid but unspectacular career at #8. Then AKos at #10.

Looking back at a strong draft like 2003, there was now a lot of busts. Zherdev was the biggest disappointment in the top five but he still had 3 50+ seasons before bolting to the KHL. Coburn had a solid but unspectacular career at #8. Then AKos at #10.

Please dont bring up the 2003 draft :bigcry::cryin:

Some rankings have BT as a center, others as winger.

When did he play center ? At the Worlds ? Or college ?

No, Kotkaniemi or Tkatchuk. That’s what I think.

If it’s between those two, give me Brady Tkatchuk.

He’s big, strong, fast, gritty, is well-rounded defensively....all things Bergy and Julien salivate over

He just hasn’t put up the same numbers as the other top 5 guys, but his speed and size translates better into NHL...less risky pick than the Finn

Worth the price of admission.

It was no surprise to see Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin as the top-pick though there was disagreement about whether he is in fact a “generational talent.” It seems like each year there’s another player being slapped with that label, so a question was posed as to whether it was a fair assessment or more so a media construct.

“While he is pretty special, I think that term is getting a little overused,” said one NHL scout. “For various reasons we have to keep building these guys up.”

“I think by definition a ‘generational talent’ is the best player of his generation,” said another scout. “Therefore, some of these generational talents should likely be labelled as stars. Rasmus is more of a star than a generational talent as of now.”

“I think for the most part it is a media construct but I do believe as a whole, players are getting better each year because of the on ice and off ice training programs all of the kids are on starting at a young age,” said a third scout. “I think Dahlin very well could end up being a generational talent but so much goes into being in the right place at the right time. He is definitely built for today’s game.”

“Generational talent gets thrown around too much,” said yet another evaluator. “By definition we should only see a few of these players in our lifetime, right? It’s not fair to put that type of label on any 17/18-year-old player. Franchise player seems more realistic. He looks like a player to build your team around.”

I wonder who else has been pretty much saying that almost word for word for months. Hmm hmm hmm.

Back