• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Entry Draft

good thing it didn't because 1 year later: Subban, McDonaugh, Max

What doesn't help the perception of Timmins's work is how we ended up trading some very great player he drafted, espicially on defence. Imagine out D with Subban, McDonaugh and Sergachev in our lineup. We'd had one of the best D corp in the league.

What doesn't help the perception of Timmins's work is how we ended up trading some very great player he drafted, espicially on defence. Imagine out D with Subban, McDonaugh and Sergachev in our lineup. We'd had one of the best D corp in the league.

Nah...that's just blinds just how bad he has truly been.

I think that it's really tough to separate the work of your head amateur scout from the biases and ideologies of the GM he's working for. Something that's been particularly illuminating in Leaf land over the last few weeks is how wildly different our 2015 & 2018 draft classes were from our 2016 & 2017 classes. Same scouts, same head scout (Hunter left a few weeks before the draft, but still had a massive influence on who we assessed, how we assessed them, etc) but very, very different GM's.

In the 2015 & 2018 drafts we almost completely ignored size and went almost entirely with skill players. It's too early to properly assess the impact of those two drafts obviously but just looking at the 2015 draft we've already hit one non lottery pick home run (Dermott) and have a bunch of midgets who were significant contributors to our recent Calder win. The 2016-17 drafts were wildly different and seemed to place a massive emphasis on tree like defenders, physicality and "character". Picking in the middle round is a crap shoot at the best of times, but it really looks like we did a pretty poor job of turning those picks into anything resembling a NHL level prospect

So I don't mean to let Timmins off the hook entirely for the Habs drafting over the past chunk of years, but I think Leafland was just given a pretty significant lesson on just how much influence a GM has on who gets assessed, how they get assessed, and ultimately what "type" of players an organization is looking to select at the draft. At the end of the day, Timmins still has a boss.

I think that it's really tough to separate the work of your head amateur scout from the biases and ideologies of the GM he's working for. Something that's been particularly illuminating in Leaf land over the last few weeks is how wildly different our 2015 & 2018 draft classes were from our 2016 & 2017 classes. Same scouts, same head scout (Hunter left a few weeks before the draft, but still had a massive influence on who we assessed, how we assessed them, etc) but very, very different GM's.

In the 2015 & 2018 drafts we almost completely ignored size and went almost entirely with skill players. It's too early to properly assess the impact of those two drafts obviously but just looking at the 2015 draft we've already hit one non lottery pick home run (Dermott) and have a bunch of midgets who were significant contributors to our recent Calder win. The 2016-17 drafts were wildly different and seemed to place a massive emphasis on tree like defenders, physicality and "character". Picking in the middle round is a crap shoot at the best of times, but it really looks like we did a pretty poor job of turning those picks into anything resembling a NHL level prospect

So I don't mean to let Timmins off the hook entirely for the Habs drafting over the past chunk of years, but I think Leafland was just given a pretty significant lesson on just how much influence a GM has on who gets assessed, how they get assessed, and ultimately what "type" of players an organization is looking to select at the draft. At the end of the day, Timmins still has a boss.

Agreed.

This year the mandate for the Habs seemed to be skill as well. Maybe, just maybe someone convinced MB that's the way to draft. Like you said, way too early to tell but this seemed like a good draft for the Habs too.

Back