• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

At what point do we look at the GM...

I look at it differently. To borrow an investment motto, "past performance does not guarantee future success". Every year entails new risks. Injuries, slumps, not repeating last year's OT success, etc.
If Price (the team's best player) gets hurt I concur all bets are off, but a healthy Price does "guarantee future success" as much as the best player on any team can .

Price will be, once again, the single most important player to his team in the whole NHL. No single team is as dependent on a single player for success as this team is on Price.

That was the case when The Charlatan came in and 5 & a half years later, it still is the case.

Bring on Pierre McGuire. While he may not be good, I'm confident that he'd figure out a way to get a real centerline.

The problem with the Habs is Molson. I said it when they reacquired the team, the Molson family doesn't give a shit about winning, it's all about PC and money.
FWIW, They did try, threw tons of $ at Bonino this summer he didn't want to come -McGuire even alluded to it.

They tried to interview Nill for the GM gig before hiring MB, his wife developed cancer (Nill still took the Stars gig while his wife was undergoing treatment....guess it wasn't cancer after all!)

What they can do & haven't is poach the best amateur scouts - which is the orgs Achilles heel.

Few years back when i said Gauthier is even better than this guy, some people laughed or wondered what i am talking about!

The players drafting and development is a total disaster. I mean it happens to everyone to do mistakes, no problem about that, but not Root Causing in a logical way and repeating the same mistakes year after year is just not acceptable.

I am sure at this point JB, PM can both be much better than this guy. He is working as GM like a dinosaur GMs of 20-30 years a go!

We are just collecting scraps like late 90s, beginning of 2000! Some terrible contracts to not even top 6 guys. and too many BS contracts to bunch of useless. He makes both BG and PG looks good.

Last edited:
Price will be, once again, the single most important player to his team in the whole NHL. No single team is as dependent on a single player for success as this team is on Price.

That was the case when The Charlatan came in and 5 & a half years later, it still is the case.

Bring on Pierre McGuire. While he may not be good, I'm confident that he'd figure out a way to get a real centerline.
Was Price even the best player of this team last year?

If Price (the team's best player) gets hurt I concur all bets are off, but a healthy Price does "guarantee future success" as much as the best player on any team can .

What about a Weber injury?

"Shanny Plan" was the result of making the playoffs once in 7 or 8-years. So pray Habs don't make playoffs next 5-6 seasons then, maybe the ownership consortium will give the green light for a tear down & rebuild.

And that won't happen since, Habs have won the division 3-out of-5 seasons MBs been GM, and will likely contend for the division yet again. Recall Habs won division running away with it by 8-points last season). This years team is on par with last years & the other teams in the division are not 10-regular season points better, just sayin...

The Leafs and Tampa Bay are better than us on paper this season. The Habs will compete for the 3rd spot with Ottawa. Wildcard is a potential.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a dead last finish but with Price in net that's not happening. The Habs need a complete regime change. Top to bottom. They also need trust fund Geoff to step down.

Its pointless. The habs will continue to mske the playoffs,even if just by a point or two, fans will continue to fill the seats, molson will continue to make his money and nothing is going to change. This team doesn't care about winning the cup, it's about printing money at this point. In that regard, it's a success, and saving 8.5 million this season makes even more sense when looking at it that way.

Montrealers, habs fans, who once rioted for a player being suspended are now complacent enablers who have settled for the mediocre organization that the habs have become.

Until fans stop showing up and molson feels the pain in his wallet, nothing is going to change. Best to just accept it.

Which we haven't done under MB. We've always made the player quite comfortably except the season Price got injured. As sad as it is, this has been the best stretch of seasons under a GM since Serge Savard. We've been the 8th best regular season team in the league since 2012.

Few years back when i said Gauthier is even better than this guy, some people laughed or wondered what i am talking about!

The players drafting and development is a total disaster. I mean it happens to everyone to do mistakes, no problem about that, but not Root Causing in a logical way and repeating the same mistakes year after year is just not acceptable.

I am sure at this point JB, PM can both be much better than this guy. He is working as GM like a dinosaur GMs of 20-30 years a go!

We are just collecting scraps like late 90s, beginning of 2000! Some terrible contracts to not even top 6 guys. and too many BS contracts to bunch of useless. He makes both BG and PG looks good.

I still wonder what you are talking about. But drafting and development have been terrible (they were also terrible under Gauthier) and that is his achilles heel. The lack of accountability in this department is revolting.

I think the deals could have gotten done. Bergevin was stubborn.

I agree, but the same can be said on both sides. Radulov has the exact same offer on the table but chose to go to Dallas. Markov had a 1 year 5M deal on the table (which is fair for a 39 years old defenseman) but hold out for 6M. MB could have upped the ante on either deal but the players' desire to come back wasn't really high either.

The Leafs and Tampa Bay are better than us on paper this season. The Habs will compete for the 3rd spot with Ottawa. Wildcard is a potential.
TBay's had a better team on paper for 4-seasons now, yet Habs have won the division twice, and both have missed the playoffs once.

As for Leafs, it's one thing to be a hunter and quite another to be the hunted. Leafs are not better overall, Habs hold significant edge in nets & overall 6-man D corps.

TBay's had a better team on paper for 4-seasons now, yet Habs have won the division twice, and both have missed the playoffs once.

As for Leafs, it's one thing to be a hunter and quite another to be the hunted. Leafs are not better overall, Habs hold significant edge in nets & overall 6-man D corps.

The Leafs forward group is significantly better than ours. But we do have lots of cap space to add . . .

Not sure about the D corps vs. the Leafs. We have more well known names back there, but we have no puck mover and that creates huge issues regardless.

Back