Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 406

Thread: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

  1. #381
    Hall of Famer StormChaserBH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Section 102, PNC Arena, since 1999
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Smith had by far and away the best numbers of any keeper in our system last year. I mean, he wasn't technically in Carolina's system since he was on a short term AHL contract, but ... ugh. Our goalies sucked last year.
    ... and he was a Canes signee (1-year 2-way) not a Cherker

    https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...th/c-290255080

    but yeah, meh either way I guess. I'll take the Huskies player if we need an extra tendy in Charlotte.

  2. #382
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Actually, his numbers in Charlotte were the worst. I think you’re thinking of Martin Ouellette in Florida.

    Charlotte:
    Smith-30 games, 2.71 GAA, .902 Save %
    Nedeljkovic-49 games, 2.55 GAA, .903 Save %
    Booth-4 games, 1.60 GAA, .941 Save %

    Florida:
    Booth-28 games, 2.41 GAA, .911 Save %
    Ouellette-42 games, 2.02 GAA, .921 Save %
    I was. Good catch

  3. #383
    Legend cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    6,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Granted the Canes could sign another goalie to a 2 way contract between now and the beginning of camp, but if the Canes do not sign another 2 way 1 year goalie then Neds is sitting as our undisputed #3 and the first in line to take over for either Darling or Mrazek. This AHL only signing leads me to believe we at this point might not bring in any 'sort of almost an NHL goalie' this time....ie Jeremy Smith or Drew McIntyre or Michael Leighton.

    Barring injury or ineptitude or a signing or trade it would be Neds and Booth in Charlotte and Helvig in Florida. The question would be if that mix will allow all of them enough playing time. You don't want to have Booth not playing because Neds is dominating...you don't want Neds not making 55 to 60 starts if he deserves them just to get Booth some playing time. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...still a lot of offseason to go to add another goalie to the mix and push Booth right back to Florida possibly. If Jamie Phillips gets a lot of playing time in Charlotte that is not good because he is barely an AHL goalie.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 07-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.

  4. #384
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Well, I've said before that I think we need to be very careful with this next stage of Neds' development because we REALLY need that guy to at least be ready to back up at the NHL level soon. And if there's a way he becomes a decent starter in the next 2-3 years then that takes a TON of pressure off of the front office. Given that Neds has now managed almost 75 minor AHL starts and has started to show the ability to at least win games, if not dominate statistically, the logic next step is to let him go a full year as the real deal starter. Looks like they're setting that up. I really don't like the thing where they have one prospect and one vet in the AHL, because inevitably winning starts to out weigh development and the vet ends up playing .... and you end up not developing the prospect.

    Bottom line ... developing the next goalie for the Canes is WAY more important than winning games in the AHL. It's time for this organization to get its priorities straight when it comes to player development. And if Neds gets to the halfway point and has shown he's not ready to be an AHL starter, then give Booth a shot before you go pushing the panic button.

  5. #385
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Checkers sign dman Dennis Robertson to an AHL contract. He was on a 2 way deal with the Canes last year. Good business from the Checkers, keeping some key guys but signing them to AHL deals to help keep the Canes below 50 contracts. Capfriendly has the Canes at 44 contracts with only Lucas Wallmark to sign.

    http://gocheckers.com/articles/trans...on-to-ahl-deal

  6. #386
    Legend cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    6,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Nice, that is a good Charlotte only move. Robertson is a good AHL vet now with lots of experience and value to the Checkers but useless for the Canes to re-sign to a 2 way.

  7. #387
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    Nice, that is a good Charlotte only move. Robertson is a good AHL vet now with lots of experience and value to the Checkers but useless for the Canes to re-sign to a 2 way.
    Yup. And if they are going to stick with the two kids in net, it's important to have a decent defense in front of them.

  8. #388
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Canes sign Greg McKegg to a 1 year, 2 way contract. He’ll make $715k in the NHL and $250k in Charlotte. He’s one of the 44 I noted above, Capfriendly already showed the contract.

    https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...gg/c-299470886

  9. #389
    Legend cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    6,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    I fully expect that we will see Kegger play for the Canes on a short call-up at some point this season.

  10. #390
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    I fully expect that we will see Kegger play for the Canes on a short call-up at some point this season.
    Yup. From what I heard he was a real spark plug for the Checkers. The kind of guy you call up for a jolt of energy after a listless stretch.

  11. #391
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Yup. From what I heard he was a real spark plug for the Checkers. The kind of guy you call up for a jolt of energy after a listless stretch.
    If we need a bottom 6 center, I suspect he’d be the callup. His AHL salary underscores his importance to the Cherkers. Unless something dramatic happens, it looks like every forward from last year, except Zykov, will still be in Charlotte plus Smallman and Lorentz. Even though there is only 1 rookie (Geekie), it’s still a pretty young team.

  12. #392
    Hall of Famer CanadaCanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    If we need a bottom 6 center, I suspect he’d be the callup. His AHL salary underscores his importance to the Cherkers. Unless something dramatic happens, it looks like every forward from last year, except Zykov, will still be in Charlotte plus Smallman and Lorentz. Even though there is only 1 rookie (Geekie), it’s still a pretty young team.
    I think you have to also add the new Finn Metalaanen to Charlotte's forward ranks if the Canes plan on keeping PDG and Martinook with the big club. Just cannot see how the Finn makes the big club if Zykov, Necas and Svechnikov are all penciled in already.

  13. #393
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    I think you have to also add the new Finn Metalaanen to Charlotte's forward ranks if the Canes plan on keeping PDG and Martinook with the big club. Just cannot see how the Finn makes the big club if Zykov, Necas and Svechnikov are all penciled in already.
    FWIW, based on what Brindy has said there's a lot less "pencilling in" than we've seen in the past. That's all going to get sorted in camp. A lot of coaches say stuff like that, but when Brindy says it I believe for some reason.

  14. #394
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    I think you have to also add the new Finn Metalaanen to Charlotte's forward ranks if the Canes plan on keeping PDG and Martinook with the big club. Just cannot see how the Finn makes the big club if Zykov, Necas and Svechnikov are all penciled in already.
    It depends on how many forwards Brindy wants to carry and what, if anything, happens to Skinner. There are 10 forwards on NHL contracts. Add in Aho, Svechnikov and Necas and it’s 13.

  15. #395
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    It depends on how many forwards Brindy wants to carry and what, if anything, happens to Skinner. There are 10 forwards on NHL contracts. Add in Aho, Svechnikov and Necas and it’s 13.
    FWIW, they're currently showing 14 forwards on the team website, including Necas, Svechnikov, Maenalanen, Zykov, Martinook, Ferland and PDG along with the guys who finished last season on the roster. It's most likely they end up carrying 13, as you assume. Seems most likely that either Maenalanen or PDG would be the odd man out but again ... I think it'll take camp to sort it out.

  16. #396
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    FWIW, they're currently showing 14 forwards on the team website, including Necas, Svechnikov, Maenalanen, Zykov, Martinook, Ferland and PDG along with the guys who finished last season on the roster. It's most likely they end up carrying 13, as you assume. Seems most likely that either Maenalanen or PDG would be the odd man out but again ... I think it'll take camp to sort it out.
    It makes the decision to re-sign PDG that much more baffling. Maenalanen has a 2 way deal but scored more goals in the Finnish League last year than PDG has in his NHL career. Camp should be interesting though, lots of talent to sort through.

  17. #397
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Canes re-sign Wallmark to a 2 year deal. It’s 2 way in 18-19 with $650k in the NHL, $70k in the AHL and a guarantee of $100k. It’s a 1 way deal in 19-20 with a salary of $700k. Everyone has been re-signed and they’re at 45 contracts.

    https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...al/c-299477558

  18. #398
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    It makes the decision to re-sign PDG that much more baffling. Maenalanen has a 2 way deal but scored more goals in the Finnish League last year than PDG has in his NHL career. Camp should be interesting though, lots of talent to sort through.
    PDG is a known quantity and I think this is probably his last bite at the apple as an NHLer. We were always waiting for him or McGinn to distinguish themselves and McGinn jumped well over him based on last season. But at least you know what PDG is going to give you, as opposed to Maenalanen. If the Finn jumps over him in camp, then you use PDG to provide some veteran presence in Charlotte and then call it a day on the guy in 2019.

  19. #399
    Hall of Famer CanadaCanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    PDG is a known quantity and I think this is probably his last bite at the apple as an NHLer. We were always waiting for him or McGinn to distinguish themselves and McGinn jumped well over him based on last season. But at least you know what PDG is going to give you, as opposed to Maenalanen. If the Finn jumps over him in camp, then you use PDG to provide some veteran presence in Charlotte and then call it a day on the guy in 2019.
    Interesting tidbit on Maenalanen is he led the tournament in goals at the 2014 World Junior Championships. Sounds like the guy has some offensive touch and some history playing with Turbo on the same 2014 Finland World Junior team that won Gold.
    Last edited by CanadaCanes; 07-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.

  20. #400
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    Interesting tidbit on Maenalanen is he led the tournament in goals at the 2014 World Junior Championships. Sounds like the guy has some offensive touch and some history playing with Turbo on the same 2014 Finland World Junior team that won Gold.
    Well ... I'm moderately more impressed with that than I am all those guys we fall in love with the Senior Worlds.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •