• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Zykov won the Willie Marshall Award for leading the league in goals scored. I’ll be at Bojangles next Saturday for game 2.

Have you been to the Boj since the renovations? It's really nice now.

Yes, went to 2 games last year. I never saw the original incantation so i can't compare. But it is really nice, good sight lines. Maybe the concourse is a little narrow, but that's OK.

Yes, went to 2 games last year. I never saw the original incantation so i can't compare. But it is really nice, good sight lines. Maybe the concourse is a little narrow, but that's OK.

Yeah. It's about as good as any minor league facility in the country now. The concourse is narrow because the doggone thing was built in the dark ages, and traffic can be an issue. OK, is an issue. But otherwise, that building is just great.

Yeah. It's about as good as any minor league facility in the country now. The concourse is narrow because the doggone thing was built in the dark ages, and traffic can be an issue. OK, is an issue. But otherwise, that building is just great.

Too bad it's so far away from uptown. The only good thing about Spectrum Center was the location. Stay close, light rail and EpiCenter accross the street. But at least there is tailgate room at Bo's.

Here is how the Checkers closed out the regular season last week:

Fri Apr 13 @Providence W 5-3. Smith with the win. Fleury, Carrick, Roy, Zykov and Wallmark with the goals

Sat Apr 14 @Bridgeport W 4-1. Smith with the win. Carrick, Gauthier and Foegele x2 with the goals.

Best of 5 series against Wilkes-Barre starts in Charlotte on Friday. They then play Saturday at home again. Rest of the series is in Wilkes-Barre, Thr, Sat, Sun.

There is a great summary of how our top players finished stat wise relative to the league here:

http://charlottecheckers.com/articles/features/hometown-weekly-report-april-16-2018

Zykov set an AHL record with his 29.5 Shooting% (we will see if that is a red flag or just an indication that he is a really really great goal scorer....).

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 4/15/2018

Martin Necas (Czech Brno) 11 Games 3 Goals 4 Assists *** Brno is tied with Trinec 1-1 for the championship

Morgan Geekie (WHL Tri-City): 8 Games 15 Goals 9 Assists *** Tri-City swept Victoria in their conference semi-final series. They will play Everett in the conference finals. As you can see, Geekie is having a remarkable playoff run so far. He scored 30 goals in 68 games in the regular season, he has half of that already in just 8 playoff games this season.

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon): 11 Games 6 Goals 6 Assists *** Brandon was eliminated by Lethbridge in 5 games. Mattheos' season is over

Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland): 12 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists **** Portland was eliminated by Everett in 5 games. De Jong's season is over.

Jake Bean (WHL Tri-City): 8 Games 1 Goals 13 Assists *** Tri-City swept Victoria in their conference semi-final series. They will play Everett in the conference finals.

Noah Carroll (OHL Sault Ste. Marie): 10 Games 0 Goals 1 Assist *** Sault Ste. Marie's semi final series against Owen Sound is tied up 3-3 (which is stunning)

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 8-2 2.61 GAA .921 Sv% *** Kingston stormed back from 2-1 down and eliminated Barrie in 6 games. Helvig won OHL player of the week as a result. They will face Hamilton in the conference finals.

********** PLAYERS WHOSE SEASON HAS ENDED PRIOR TO LAST WEEK ***********

Max Zimmer (Big 10 Wisconsin So.)
Luke Stevens (ECAC Yale So.)
Ville Rasanen ( Jr. A SM-Liiga Jukurit U20/Mestis Roki/Liiga Jukurit (Major league))
David Cotton (Hockey East Boston College So.)
Matt Filipe (Hockey East Northeastern So.)
Eetu Luostarinen (Liiga KalPa)
Luke Martin (Big-10 Michigan So.)
Hudson Elynuik (WHL Spokane)

Eetu Makiniemi (Jr. A SM-Liiga Jokerit U20)
Jack Lafontaine (Big-10 Michigan So.)

Last edited:
The Checkers finished the season on a 7 game winning streak and 10 game point streak. That's the way to close the season. And then you look at all the individual stats, Zykov and Foegele especially, and wonder how Zykov didn't make first or second team all-AHL and how Foegele didn't make the all-rookie team.

Jake Bean was named WHL player of the week.

Sault Ste. Marie only lost 7 regulation games all year. That they've lost 3 in the series really is stunning.

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 8-2 2.61 GAA .921 Sv% *** Kingston stormed back from 2-1 down and eliminated Barrie in 6 games. Helvig won OHL player of the week as a result. They will face Hamilton in the conference finals.

Good to see a goalie in our system take a team on his back like Helvig apparently did to turn that series around.

OHL Player of the Week: Jeremy Helvig

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Carolina Hurricanes prospect Jeremy Helvig of the Kingston Frontenacs is the OHL ‘On the Run’ Player of the Week for the playoff week ending April 15 after posting a 3-0 record with a goals-against-average of 1.33 and save percentage of .958.

Helvig turned aside 91 shots in a trio of victories over the Barrie Colts last week backstopping the Frontenacs to a 4-2 series triumph and a berth in the Eastern Conference Final. His week included 30 saves in Tuesday’s 4-2 win in Game 4, followed by 32 saves in Thursday’s 7-1 road decision in Game 5 where he earned third star honours. On Friday night back on home ice for Game 6 Helvig made 29 saves including 15 in the third period alone to earn first star honours in the 2-1 series clinching victory.

Noah Carroll had his first 2 goals of the playoffs and Sault St. Marie beat Owen Sound 9-7 to win the series and advance to the Western Conference final against Kitchener. They had the 2nd most points in the conference but still finished 26 points behind SSM.

The Checkers are running discounts for this weekend's playoff games. On Friday, kids 12 and under get in for $5.50. On Saturday, a there is a 50% off family pack on groups of 4. They also have special concession pricing, with $2 hot dogs, popcorn, Bojangles seasoned fries and domestic drafts and $4 for craft beer drafts. If anyone is looking for me at Saturday's game, I'll be at the Catawba Brewery stand.

The Checkers are running discounts for this weekend's playoff games. On Friday, kids 12 and under get in for $5.50. On Saturday, a there is a 50% off family pack on groups of 4. They also have special concession pricing, with $2 hot dogs, popcorn, Bojangles seasoned fries and domestic drafts and $4 for craft beer drafts. If anyone is looking for me at Saturday's game, I'll be at the Catawba Brewery stand.

would love to be there, but I'm in Columbus this week, visiting my daughter (game tomorrow night) and then have a conference in California....timing not working great for us and the Checkers this year....so far...

Checkers battle back from 2-0 down entering the 3rd period and win 3-2 in OT. Wallmark with the winner, Zykov and Saarela with the other goals. Neds with 25 saves in his return.

Checkers battle back from 2-0 down entering the 3rd period and win 3-2 in OT. Wallmark with the winner, Zykov and Saarela with the other goals. Neds with 25 saves in his return.

Go find the highlight of the aftermath of Zykov's goal if you haven't seen it. He scores in tight, steps clear of the goalie's legs and proceeds to stick his arms in the air about a foot in front of a Pens defensemen who then crosschecks him in frustration. I'm starting to love that kid. He's got a bit of that Erik Cole sandpaper in him

Checkers win again 4-1. Neds with 27 saves. Fleury x2, Bishop and Didier with the goals. Checkers now need to win 1 of 3 in Wilkes-Barre to take the series.

Checkers win again 4-1. Neds with 27 saves. Fleury x2, Bishop and Didier with the goals. Checkers now need to win 1 of 3 in Wilkes-Barre to take the series.
Don’t want to jinx it but they’re officially hot. Ride it as far as ya can, kids

Fleury’s were 2 very different goals. The first was a rebound off the end boards that he banked in off Jarry from below the goal line. The second was a 180 foot empty netter bank shot. I thought Bishop had a great game and his empty netter was a just reward.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 4/22/2018

Martin Necas (Czech Brno) 14 Games 4 Goals 5 Assists *** Brno beat Trinec in 5 games to repeat as Extraliga champions. Necas' season is over. I don't think the Czechs have announced their IIHF World Championship roster yet, but I supposed there is a slight possibility that Necas could play. We will see where he ends up next season (NHL, AHL, or back in the Czech league for one more season....).

Morgan Geekie (WHL Tri-City): 10 Games 16 Goals 9 Assists *** Tri-City's conference finals series with Everett is tied 1-1.

Jake Bean (WHL Tri-City): 10 Games 1 Goals 15 Assists *** Tri-City's conference finals series with Everett is tied 1-1..

Noah Carroll (OHL Sault Ste. Marie): 13 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist *** Sault Ste. Marie's beat Owen Sound in 7 games and is up 2-0 against Kitchener in their conference finals matchup.

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 8-5 3.20 GAA .904 Sv% *** Kingston is down 0-3 to Hamilton in their conference finals matchup.

Ville Rasanen ( Jr. A SM-Liiga Jukurit U20/Mestis Roki/Liiga Jukurit (Major league))
Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon)
Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland)

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 4/22/2018

Martin Necas (Czech Brno) 14 Games 4 Goals 5 Assists *** Brno beat Trinec in 5 games to repeat as Extraliga champions. Necas' season is over. I don't think the Czechs have announced their IIHF World Championship roster yet, but I supposed there is a slight possibility that Necas could play. We will see where he ends up next season (NHL, AHL, or back in the Czech league for one more season....).

Morgan Geekie (WHL Tri-City): 10 Games 16 Goals 9 Assists *** Tri-City's conference finals series with Everett is tied 1-1.

Jake Bean (WHL Tri-City): 10 Games 1 Goals 15 Assists *** Tri-City's conference finals series with Everett is tied 1-1..

Noah Carroll (OHL Sault Ste. Marie): 13 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist *** Sault Ste. Marie's beat Owen Sound in 7 games and is up 2-0 against Kitchener in their conference finals matchup.

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 8-5 3.20 GAA .904 Sv% *** Kingston is down 0-3 to Hamilton in their conference finals matchup.

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon)
Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland)

The dumbest thing the Canes could do is allow Necas to play another year in the same Czech League again. Get the kid in North America and let him adjust to the smaller rink...if he's good enough to make the Canes great, but otherwise let him play in Charlotte and adjust to the rigors of a full 75 to 80 game season in North America.

Back