• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

The dumbest thing the Canes could do is allow Necas to play another year in the same Czech League again. Get the kid in North America and let him adjust to the smaller rink...if he's good enough to make the Canes great, but otherwise let him play in Charlotte and adjust to the rigors of a full 75 to 80 game season in North America.

Agreed. That kid needs a steady dose of peanut butter sandwiches and North American hockey.

Leaving this here since Jason Shaya's 10 Thoughts are mostly Checkers related.

His first thought had to do with Vellucci as coach:

1) The Checkers were down 2-0 going into the third period on Friday night. After the Checkers won in overtime a player told me that head coach Mike Vellucci's instruction and message to the team was masterful and went a long way towards helping a young team breathe easy and win the game. Over 20 years of head coaching experience comes in handy in the playoffs.

But there were a couple of interesting prospect observations, as well:

8) A scout said to me after watching both Charlotte games this weekend that he was truly impressed with the compete level of Valentin Zykov. For a kid who spent the latter part of the season in the NHL, Zykov hasn't missed a beat since his reassignment and he looks like one of the best of the Checkers’ forwards in the playoffs.

9) Another player who deserves high praise is Haydn Fleury. In the AHL, his skill level is on full display. The coaching staff has encouraged him to do what he does best: make plays, join the rush and create offense. There may not be a better puck mover than Fleury in the league and he always seems a step ahead of the opposition. He will continue to be a vital part of any success moving forward.

Another player who deserves high praise is Haydn Fleury. In the AHL, his skill level is on full display. The coaching staff has encouraged him to do what he does best: make plays, join the rush and create offense. There may not be a better puck mover than Fleury in the league and he always seems a step ahead of the opposition. He will continue to be a vital part of any success moving forward.

There's no doubt in my mind that we wasted Fluery's rookie year by saddling him with WAY too much responsibility. He spent huge chunks of the season either covering for that stiff Dhalbeck or trying to hold the fort while Faulk did whatever the heck he was trying to do this year. I'd love to see that skill level bloom ... but it ain't going to happen the way Carolina's D is currently structured.

Yeah, I would package Faulk in a trade somewhere for a skilled forward. We are stocked at D and I think Faulkie needs a change of scenery.

Yeah, I would package Faulk in a trade somewhere for a skilled forward. We are stocked at D and I think Faulkie needs a change of scenery.

Faulk was a train wreck all season long, not captain material, not really a guy that helped Fleury in his development this season as his partner, just overall it might indeed be time for a change of scenery with Faulk.

Faulk was a train wreck all season long, not captain material, not really a guy that helped Fleury in his development this season as his partner, just overall it might indeed be time for a change of scenery with Faulk.

Forgetting the captain thing for a minute ... he was just bad, full stop. He not only held back Fluery's development he made every partner he had all season significantly worse. We NEED to ship that guy out while he's still got any shred of good reputation left. Otherwise somebody's got to figure out how to at least fix the offensive part of his game. The defensive side was never that great to begin with and has slipped to the point of being virtually gone. Heck, as one dimensional as he is, even TVR was better in his own zone than Faulk last season.

Checkers beat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 7-3 to sweep the series. Wallmark, McKegg, Saarela, Bishop, Miller, Poturalski and Kuokkanen scored. Lehigh Valley and Providence are tied 1-1 with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, of necessary. Checkers have home ice against Providence and would probably play at home next weekend. If it’s Lehigh Valley, it’s probably the weekend after that.

Checkers beat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 7-3 to sweep the series. Wallmark, McKegg, Saarela, Bishop, Miller, Poturalski and Kuokkanen scored. Lehigh Valley and Providence are tied 1-1 with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, of necessary. Checkers have home ice against Providence and would probably play at home next weekend. If it’s Lehigh Valley, it’s probably the weekend after that.

The AHL playoffs have no rhythm with their weird weekend-centric scheduling.

Checkers get Lehigh Valley in the 2nd round. Games in Allentown on Friday and Saturday. Games in Charlotte on Tuesday 5/8, Wednesday 5/9 and Saturday 5/12, if necessary. Games 6 and 7 would be back in Allentown on Monday 5/14 and Tuesday 5/15. A friend called them for tickets for Saturday and was told that there will be a link for Canes STMs soon.

Also, Jeremy Helvig signed an ATO with the Checkers.

Last edited:
Tri-City lost to Everett 6-5 in OT last night and was eliminated 4-2 in the Western Conference Final. Geekie finished with 17 goals, 10 assists in 14 games and could end up as the leading goal scorer in the playoffs as none of the other top 5 are still playing. Bean had 1 goal and his 17 assists are tied for 3rd best in the playoffs.

Bean is already under contract but will probably end up in Charlotte on an ATO, like Helvig. Geekie isn't under contract and still has 1 year of junior eligibility left.

In the OHL, Sault Ste. Marie beat Kitchener in OT last night to win their series 4-3. They advance to the OHL finals to play Hamilton for a spot in the Memorial Cup.

Thanks andyt.... that will save me from posting the prospect thread. I agree that Bean, at least to hang around the team he will be playing for next season, should be signing an ATO with Charlotte soon.

Tri-City lost to Everett 6-5 in OT last night and was eliminated 4-2 in the Western Conference Final. Geekie finished with 17 goals, 10 assists in 14 games and could end up as the leading goal scorer in the playoffs as none of the other top 5 are still playing. Bean had 1 goal and his 17 assists are tied for 3rd best in the playoffs.

Bean is already under contract but will probably end up in Charlotte on an ATO, like Helvig. Geekie isn't under contract and still has 1 year of junior eligibility left.

In the OHL, Sault Ste. Marie beat Kitchener in OT last night to win their series 4-3. They advance to the OHL finals to play Hamilton for a spot in the Memorial Cup.

Double OT in the Soo last night, Canes prospect Noah Carroll set up the OT winner and plays big minutes for the Greyhounds.

Double OT in the Soo last night, Canes prospect Noah Carroll set up the OT winner and plays big minutes for the Greyhounds.

Third on the team at +12. He has 2 goals, 2 assists in 18 games.

A couple of other notes:

Andrew Miller, who will be a UFA after the season, signed with Fribourg-Gotteron of the Swiss League. He was 7th in goals with the Checkers with 15, 2nd in assists with 37.

Martin Necas has been added to the Czech roster for the World Championships.

Bean and Geekie both signed ATOs with Charlotte. The Checkers open their 2nd round playoff series tonight in Allentown.

Checkers lose game 1 2-1. Phantoms score on the PP with 1:43 left to win it. Zykov got the goal from Wallmark and Miller. According to the Canesprospects twitter account, Zykov could be looking at a suspension for a knee on knee hit that was called a trip by the officials.

Checkers split with Lehigh Valley, winning tonight 6-0. Kuokkanen x2, Wallmark, Samuelsson, Zykov and Gauthier with the goals. The Checkers were 4/8 on the PP. From the Twitter updates, it sounded like a chippy game. Checkers had to kill 6 penalties including at least 1 extended 5 on 3.

The series moves to Charlotte with games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Canes STM got an email with a link for discount tickets and the Checkers are doing 40% off a family pack of 4 for Saturday.

Las Vegas Phantoms forward Nicolas Aube-Kubel has been suspended 3 games for his hit on Josiah Didier in Game 2 of the playoffs. It's his 3rd suspension this year. If Didier misses any time, Robertson probably draws into the lineup and either he, Samuelsson or Fleury will have to play their off side. They could recall Ganly from Florida, he's a righty. The Everblades have advanced to the Conference Final but they don't play until Friday.

https://twitter.com/corylav/status/993516850209312769

Back