Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    The dumbest thing the Canes could do is allow Necas to play another year in the same Czech League again. Get the kid in North America and let him adjust to the smaller rink...if he's good enough to make the Canes great, but otherwise let him play in Charlotte and adjust to the rigors of a full 75 to 80 game season in North America.
    Agreed. That kid needs a steady dose of peanut butter sandwiches and North American hockey.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving this here since Jason Shaya's 10 Thoughts are mostly Checkers related.

His first thought had to do with Vellucci as coach:

1) The Checkers were down 2-0 going into the third period on Friday night. After the Checkers won in overtime a player told me that head coach Mike Vellucci's instruction and message to the team was masterful and went a long way towards helping a young team breathe easy and win the game. Over 20 years of head coaching experience comes in handy in the playoffs.
    But there were a couple of interesting prospect observations, as well:

8) A scout said to me after watching both Charlotte games this weekend that he was truly impressed with the compete level of Valentin Zykov. For a kid who spent the latter part of the season in the NHL, Zykov hasn't missed a beat since his reassignment and he looks like one of the best of the Checkersí forwards in the playoffs.
    9) Another player who deserves high praise is Haydn Fleury. In the AHL, his skill level is on full display. The coaching staff has encouraged him to do what he does best: make plays, join the rush and create offense. There may not be a better puck mover than Fleury in the league and he always seems a step ahead of the opposition. He will continue to be a vital part of any success moving forward.
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elsker View Post
    Leaving this here since Jason Shaya's 10 Thoughts are mostly Checkers related.

His first thought had to do with Vellucci as coach:
    When tailing after 2, the Canes were 3-24-5 for a .094 winning percentage, 6th worst in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Another player who deserves high praise is Haydn Fleury. In the AHL, his skill level is on full display. The coaching staff has encouraged him to do what he does best: make plays, join the rush and create offense. There may not be a better puck mover than Fleury in the league and he always seems a step ahead of the opposition. He will continue to be a vital part of any success moving forward.

There's no doubt in my mind that we wasted Fluery's rookie year by saddling him with WAY too much responsibility. He spent huge chunks of the season either covering for that stiff Dhalbeck or trying to hold the fort while Faulk did whatever the heck he was trying to do this year. I'd love to see that skill level bloom ... but it ain't going to happen the way Carolina's D is currently structured.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I would package Faulk in a trade somewhere for a skilled forward. We are stocked at D and I think Faulkie needs a change of scenery.
    Shape Up or Ship Out

Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFG View Post
    Yeah, I would package Faulk in a trade somewhere for a skilled forward. We are stocked at D and I think Faulkie needs a change of scenery.
    Faulk was a train wreck all season long, not captain material, not really a guy that helped Fleury in his development this season as his partner, just overall it might indeed be time for a change of scenery with Faulk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    Faulk was a train wreck all season long, not captain material, not really a guy that helped Fleury in his development this season as his partner, just overall it might indeed be time for a change of scenery with Faulk.
    Forgetting the captain thing for a minute ... he was just bad, full stop. He not only held back Fluery's development he made every partner he had all season significantly worse. We NEED to ship that guy out while he's still got any shred of good reputation left. Otherwise somebody's got to figure out how to at least fix the offensive part of his game. The defensive side was never that great to begin with and has slipped to the point of being virtually gone. Heck, as one dimensional as he is, even TVR was better in his own zone than Faulk last season.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516