• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Really hard to say what Carrick's role will be without knowing if the Canes are going to blow up the left side of the current D and potentially trade Hanifin or Fleury (or both). Barring any of our top 3 LDs going out or new NHL LDs coming in, the current pecking order should have Carrick firmly as a top candidate to take on the #7 Dman role as our #4 LD. Jake Bean will eventually (hopefully?) blow by Carrick in terms of the depth chart within a couple of seasons. Carrick was cooked as a top 3 Dman here when Slavin forced his way onto the roster with his play the same season as Hanifin's rookie year. But I would like to think Carrick is good enough to hold down the #7 Dman role. There is a lot of offseason to go before we know what his competition might be for that spot.

As JB stated, even if Carrick ends up being an AHL lifer, he's a pretty good AHL Dman. You need a few of those 'younger AHL vets' around to build an effective AHL roster capable of winning at that level. He's big time for Charlotte, probably one of their most important players. Carrick turns 24 this July, so really if he can't make the roster as a #7 Dman this season he probably never will. That is ok, he's useful deep organizational depth and a good AHL player.

Last edited:
Unless he replaces Dahlbeck as the 7th dman. Which is fine too.

Yeah ... I guess. But I think we need to be getting BETTER, not just younger. And those two are basically the same player ... at the NHL level at least.

Really hard to say what Carrick's role will be without knowing if the Canes are going to blow up the left side of the current D and potentially trade Hanifin or Fleury (or both). Barring any of our top 3 LDs going out or new NHL LDs coming in, the current pecking order should have Carrick firmly as a top candidate to take on the #7 Dman role as our #4 LD. Jake Bean will eventually (hopefully?) blow by Carrick in terms of the depth chart within a couple of seasons. Carrick was cooked as a top 3 Dman here when Slavin forced his way onto the roster with his play the same season as Hanifin's rookie year. But I would like to think Carrick is good enough to hold down the #7 Dman role. There is a lot of offseason to go before we know what his competition might be for that spot.

As JB stated, even if Carrick ends up being an AHL lifer, he's a pretty good AHL Dman. You need a few of those 'younger AHL vets' around to build an effective AHL roster capable of winning at that level. He's big time for Charlotte, probably one of their most important players. Carrick turns 24 this July, so really if he can't make the roster as a #7 Dman this season he probably never will. That is ok, he's useful deep organizational depth and a good AHL player.

Carrick is safe AHL guy with enough upside to fill in when needed in a 6th or 7th D-Man role for the Canes. Some guys take a lot of seasoning to play defense in the NHL, I would not give up on Carrick quite yet, glad to hear he will be back on a one year two-way deal, 23 is still pretty young for an NHL prospect defenseman.

Last edited:
Carrick ia safe AHL guy with enough upside to fill in when needed in a 6th or 7th D-Man role for the Canes. Some guys take a lot of seasoning to play defense in the NHL, I would not give up on Carrick quite yet, glad to hear he will be back on a one year two-way deal, 23 is still pretty young for an NHL prospect defenseman.

I agree that he's an asset well worth retaining and continuing to develop as long as we can. Good depth for the org in the near term because...stuff happens. Good for trade value as the "promising prospect", especially as a steady-Eddie top-pairing AHL D-man to a D-starved org.

Having NHL-level prospects, especially as D-men, is a very good thing. He might not fit into the team's immediate needs. But may still serve the org, AND get his NHL opportunities, as a trade asset.

Checkers re-sign dman Josiah Didier and forward Nick Schilkey to 1 way contracts. That's 1 way, AHL style, it means they get the same pay if they're sent to the ECHL. Since they're AHL contracts, they don't count towards the Canes 50 contract limit.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/tran...-josiah-didier-and-nick-schilkey-to-ahl-deals
Those guys were solid AHLers for us this past season, so that's good news. You need some of those AHL-specific types to mix in with the actual prospects. Plus, Didier might just be the toughest guy in our organization ... which admittedly ain't saying much.

The Everblades lose game 7 of the Riley Cup finals 3-2. They blew a 2-1 lead going into the 3rd period and blew a 3-2 lead in the series. Smallman had a goal tonight, his 3rd of the playoffs. He also had 13 assists, his 16 points tied for 4th on the team. Lorentz was the 3rd star tonight. He finished with 5 g, 5a in 18 games.

We didn't really circle back to this at all but congrats to Hudson Elynuik on re-entering the draft rather than signing with the Canes and going undrafted. He is now fully unencumbered by NHL draft rights and can start his meaningless pro career as an ECHL free agent or somewhere overseas. Not sure what you were thinking kid, but good luck to you!

Last edited:
Re: unsigned Canes draftees

Tom Workrate, Esq
‏@MrWorkrate
4h4 hours ago

Neither of the 2016 unsigned Carolina Hurricanes draftees were drafted this past weekend, though both have been invited to NHL development camps: Hudson Elynuik to the LA Kings and Noah Carroll to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Neither has officially signed, though.

The Kings or someone else might take a entry level flier on Elynuik still if he impresses in camp, but if he really had a contract in hand with the Canes and chose to take his chances out in the real world instead that might not have been the smartest move. Not sure who is steering this kid but if he ends up without an NHL entry level deal going into this season he might want to reconsider listening to them. NHL entry level deals at least come with signing bonuses regardless of whether or not you end up in the AHL or ECHL....

The Kings or someone else might take a entry level flier on Elynuik still if he impresses in camp, but if he really had a contract in hand with the Canes and chose to take his chances out in the real world instead that might not have been the smartest move. Not sure who is steering this kid but if he ends up without an NHL entry level deal going into this season he might want to reconsider listening to them. NHL entry level deals at least come with signing bonuses regardless of whether or not you end up in the AHL or ECHL....

Yeah. I was kind of low-key corrected on my assumption that Carolina walked away from Elynuik. Turns out it was the other way around. Carolina was told not to bother to try to sign him again. Not sure if it was the ownership change or what, but the kid and his advisors (parents, lawyer, whatever) decided to move on and take their chances elsewhere. Obviously they figured he'd get drafted, but guess what? Teams don't tend to like it when kids pull that crap.

I mean ... good luck and all, but in general you can go pound sand for all I care, you oversized coat rack.

Last year’s backup, Jeremy Smit, signed an AHL contract with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Smith had by far and away the best numbers of any keeper in our system last year. I mean, he wasn't technically in Carolina's system since he was on a short term AHL contract, but ... ugh. Our goalies sucked last year.

Smith had by far and away the best numbers of any keeper in our system last year. I mean, he wasn't technically in Carolina's system since he was on a short term AHL contract, but ... ugh. Our goalies sucked last year.

Actually, his numbers in Charlotte were the worst. I think you’re thinking of Martin Ouellette in Florida.

Charlotte:
Smith-30 games, 2.71 GAA, .902 Save %
Nedeljkovic-49 games, 2.55 GAA, .903 Save %
Booth-4 games, 1.60 GAA, .941 Save %

Florida:
Booth-28 games, 2.41 GAA, .911 Save %
Ouellette-42 games, 2.02 GAA, .921 Save %

Back