• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

Yep

Leafs-Tavares-roster-2019-20-final.png

https://theathletic.com/248317/2018...find-a-way-to-fit-john-tavares-under-the-cap/

And Bettman just announced next year's cap will be $78-82 million. So a projected $81 mill cap in 2019-20 might be a little low. But even if that year is tight, you get $6 million from marleau off the books and the Seattle cap boost in 2020. The Leafs are in amazing cap shape to do whatever they want. Especially with the rate their system has been producing talent.
Yes, and he also assumes Marleau's contract is to stay for the 19/20 season, which I remember both camps hinted he won't play in his 3rd season of the contract and the Leafs will move out that cap hit to someone else (before he retires). May cost us a pick or something.

So between Marleau's contract, and the higher cap limit than his assumption, we should be able to find ~ $8M for another Dman with Tavares in the fold.

And that's assuming Tavares signs for $11M, Matthews for $11.75, and Marner and Nylander close to $7M. In reality, I see there's a real chance of Matthews signing for $10.5M (using Eichel as comp), Marner and Nylander signing for close to $6.5M (using Pastrnik as comp) and Tavares at $10M. These are lower but still very realistic #'s imo, and that gives us another $2M to up the dman budget to $10M.

Thus, signing Tavares does not mean we don't have the budget to sign another top 3 D if one happens to hit the market. It just means we'll be very tight, but is doable.

not quite the same.

1.draft picks all cost the same
2.draft picks are not usually projected to immediately help your roster, making the concept of drafting to fill holes on your roster a bit off from the start.
3.prospects are more assets - you can trade them to fill holes as well. it doesn't make any sense to draft a less valuable prospect in any situation.

Yes, but all of those boil down to maximizing your asset. With a cap, cap space is an asset that needs to be maximize.

Tavares is polarizing, so remove him from the equation. Everyone says we need a RHD D more than anything else. But what if the best RHD available is Mike Green or John Carlsson. But Seguin is available in a trade for a reasonable price (i.e. Kessel trade). Or Patrick Kane. Or it was the Stamkos UFA year. Are you better off committing to the worse player that fills the need, or the better player? To me the better player provides the most value and makes the team better.

I'm not spending major cap dollars and term on the UFA market just to fill a need. You can only commit those types of deals to players like Matthews/Marner/Nylander, or even if you don't like JT, Seguin/Karlsson/Doughty. Same as a trade. I would give up prime assets for a top player like McDonnagh/Karlsson, but not for Mike Green.

Otherwise its the draft (Johnsson, Brown, Dermott, Liljegren) or the bargain bin (Hainsey, Hyman, Borgman) to fill out the roster.

Last edited:
Yes, but all of those boil down to maximizing your asset. With a cap, cap space is an asset that needs to be maximize.

Tavares is polarizing, so remove him from the equation. Everyone says we need a RHD D more than anything else. But what if the best RHD available is Mike Green or John Carlsson. But Seguin is available in a trade for a reasonable price (i.e. Kessel trade). Or Patrick Kane. Or it was the Stamkos UFA year. Are you better off committing to the worse player that fills the need, or the better player? To me the better player provides the most value and makes the team better.

hey I'm with you on paying for elite players but the difference is that on the UFA market a better asset should cost you more than a lesser asset while your draft pick costs you the same no matter who you pick with it.

hey I'm with you on paying for elite players but the difference is that on the UFA market a better asset should cost you more than a lesser asset while your draft pick costs you the same no matter who you pick with it.

True, BPA makes most sense in the draft. In fairness free agency is a lot more complicated.

..not sure if I'm off track here, but the cost of your first round picks will vary wildly depending on how they perform on their ELC.

not quite the same.

1.draft picks all cost the same
2.draft picks are not usually projected to immediately help your roster, making the concept of drafting to fill holes on your roster a bit off from the start.
3.prospects are more assets - you can trade them to fill holes as well. it doesn't make any sense to draft a less valuable prospect in any situation.

Yeah, nba and NFL teams draft for need all the time and it's often the right decision to do so. You're pencilling in the guy immediately and not in 4-5 years.

You draft BPA because if they player develops nicely and isn't a fit you have a trade asset to find one that does or satisfy more pipeline build.

According to Craig Custance of The Athletic, 2016 second-round pick Adam Mascherin has informed the Florida Panthers he will not sign with the team, allowing him to re-enter the draft in June.
Custance reports Panthers general manager is now trying to trade the rights to the 19-year-old in order to get a return on his draft selection. The deadline for a team to sign Mascherin before he he becomes eligible to re-enter the draft is June 1.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-mascherin-won-t-sign-with-panthers-1.1034535

Age 17: 1.24 ppg
Age 18: 1.54 ppg
Age 19: 1.28 ppg

I would throw a mid round pick at them.

Mistakes in free agency are far more costly than mistakes at the draft though. We have seen time and time again teams reach to fill holes in the free agent market only to end up with anchors tied to their neck for 5-7 years and still have the hole. The best free agent signings are consistently from the bargain bin, and the odd time a top player actually becomes available in their prime (Kovy, Hossa, Suter, Savard, Chara).

The UFA market is not the best place to go shopping.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-mascherin-won-t-sign-with-panthers-1.1034535

Age 17: 1.24 ppg
Age 18: 1.54 ppg
Age 19: 1.28 ppg

I would throw a mid round pick at them.
He may be another midget winger, but those are pretty promising numbers.

He's also a natural left-shot, scoring left winger, which is an area where we don't have much in the organization beyond Andreas Johnsson & Carl Grundstrom.

So yeah, it'd be worth throwing a token offer at Florida and see if they'll bite. And Mascherin is a kid from Maple, so unless the reason he's refusing to sign with Florida is that he's looking for a team to promise him a fast-track to an NHL roster spot, you'd think he'd be open to signing with the Leafs.

Yep, and really all of our midget Marlies wingers that are close are in the NHL now. So we need to start producing the next wave for 2-3 years from now when we may not be able to keep guys like Brown, Hyman, Johnsson etc.

yeah, we've been graduating prospects at a pretty break-neck pace the past couple seasons. need to now restock the pipeline in junior and the Marlies for when the current batch need to get paid.

28: Andersen
27: Kadri, Gardiner
26: Zaitsev
25: Hyman, (Holl, Marincin, Pickard)
24: Leivo (Sparks, Aaltonen)
23: Rielly, Brown, Johnsson, Carrick,(Rosen)
22: (Borgman, Gauthier, Marchment)
21: Nylander, Dermott, Kapanen
20: Matthews, Marner, (Grundstrom)
19: (Woll)
18: (Liljegren, Rasanen)

28: Andersen
27: Kadri, Gardiner
26: Zaitsev
25: Hyman, (Holl, Marincin, Pickard)
24: Leivo (Sparks, Aaltonen)
23: Rielly, Brown, Johnsson, Carrick,(Rosen)
22: (Borgman, Gauthier, Marchment)
21: Nylander, Dermott, Kapanen
20: Matthews, Marner, (Grundstrom)
19: (Woll)
18: (Liljegren, Rasanen)

We don't really have any more forwards on the Marlies who I think would seriously threaten for a roster spot in the next year or two. We do have Grundstrom in the pipeline, but we desperately need some center depth and most of our wingers have now graduated. At this point Aaltonen will not be a 'prospect' for much longer. Gauthier also looks like he will not be the answer for our fourth line. Marchment is a late bloomer who may amount to something.

On D we do have better depth with Borgy, Rosen, Holl, and Timmy.

Was just gonna suggest Mascherin. Dude is built like a tank with a rocket of a shot. Needs to work on his skating though.

Back