• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

Demers would probably be an upgrade on what we've got right now, but I'm not sure he'd be enough of an upgrade that I'd want to lock him in at a $4.5M AAV for this season, as well as his 30, 31 & 32 year-old seasons after this one. That would really limit us as far as what we could do with our defense core going forward, I think.

Demers is only playing <20 min these days, and I don't think he was a big minutes guy even back in SJ (could have been because of depth on Sharks' blueline, but then how do you explain his low minutes even in ARZ?)

He is definitely not a 1/2, and with Liljegren and Dermott coming up I really don't think we need another middle unit dman (not to mention spend $3.9M per on him over the next 3 years)

Demers is better than Zaitsev. He's not an ideal upgrade, but he's a pretty big upgrade over everything we have on the right side currently.

Is Demers REALLY an upgrade over Zaitsev? Cause I can't see how he is.

He's played under 20min throughout his entire career, in SJ, in Dallas, in Florida and then in Arizona. There must be a reason for it.

Yeah, I'm unconvinced about Demers being an upgrade as well.

And either way, my main issue with acquiring him is that I think you should avoid clogging up your cap with mid-level talent making mid-to-high level money at all costs. We've already got Zaitsev on his deal for six more years, and if you acquire Demers too, all of a sudden you've got two OK secondary RHD options on defense taking up almost a combined $10M of our cap for the next three-and-a-half seasons.

If we acquire help on defense, I think we have to do it one of two ways:

1) If it's someone with term, they have to be a definite top-pairing guy, and at least a clear upgrade on every Leaf D-man not named Morgan Rielly.

2) If it's secondary-level talent like Demers, they need to have very little term remaining; either on an expiring contract, or a contract that expires after next season.

So keeping that in mind, if we're talking about the Coyotes, the guy I'd be interested in from them would be Hjalmarsson.

Last edited:
He's a 2nd pairing Dman and is paid like one

Zeke can probably dig up some numbers to counter this but the numbers are not very flattering for Zaitsev

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The numbers weren't particularly flattering for Demers when he faced tough competition in Florida either. Not sure I want to commit to a decent 30 year old 2nd pair dman for 3 more years. I'd rather just play Dermott, and save the cap space for an opportunity that could actually make a drastic improvement to the roster.

Over the next 3 years some real good, high end dmen may become available. Play the cheap kids and save the cap space for that.

I think he's basically gardiner. Terrific second pair dman that really isn't good enough to get the toughs.

But unlike Jake he's a rhd and may very well work with Rielly on the top pair. Not sure though, there's some risk involved.. but he's paid like a second pair d so it's not like he'd be overpaid

He's a 2nd pairing Dman and is paid like one

Zeke can probably dig up some numbers to counter this but the numbers are not very flattering for Zaitsev

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I think a lot of Zaits struggles this year are as a result of being paired with shitty Jake? Not certain on that, but believe that to be the case.

Paul Martin on waivers today, likely with the idea of trading him and retaining salary.

Played a few years under Lou in NJ
With Dermott & Borgman already currently battling it out for a spot, and Rielly, Gardiner & Hainsey already as locks in our top-6, the very last thing in the world the Leafs need right now is a soon-to-be 37 year-old LHD that already can't stick on an NHL roster, and would cost $2.4M this season and next even if the Sharks retained the maximum 50% of salary allowable.

Looks like Dermott's slotting back into the lineup for tomorrow night's game, alongside the unscratchable and indispensable Roman Polak.

Borgman's the odd man out, and everything else about the lineup remains the same as it was prior to the break.

Not a fan of Zaitsev at all. I think ole Don was dead on about that guy, the way he tries to clear the puck out of the zone, makes me think that there is a six feet brick wall there in his mind. He fumbles with his clears so badly its painful to watch. Maybe he should take a lesson from Polak, ole Pole sure can clear the zone, lol.

Not a fan of Zaitsev at all. I think ole Don was dead on about that guy, the way he tries to clear the puck out of the zone, makes me think that there is a six feet brick wall there in his mind. He fumbles with his clears so badly its painful to watch. Maybe he should take a lesson from Polak, ole Pole sure can clear the zone, lol.

Hey teeds!

Dermott had his number changed by the team today from #3 to #23....without asking him first or explaining why.

OEL is #23 in Arizona......but only because #3 was taken when he first arrived in Arizona (by Keith Yandle). Larsson still wears #3 internationally.

Just sayin

Back