• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

Bobo with some words this morning

Teams are asking about Sosh

JVR will need to take a huge hometown discount in money and term if he wants to stay on board (yes he said huge)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I trust Bobo way more than Freidman. Term is the key there. No way they can sign JVR for 7-8 years. Its not happening.

He adds no reason to believe there is anything between Leafs and Arizona for OEL

Would rather them try and package for a top 4 D rather than as a single asset

Seems like a waste to flip him for a mid round pick

I don't think you'll get much for Sosh or Leivo in a trade. But in theory the forward depth makes it possible to trade a player like Brown/Komarov/JVR/Kapanen for a good dman.

i'd keep leivo ahead of sosh because as we go forward and let our ufa forwards go, getting cheap offense from the system is going to be crucial.

but really we should be able to keep both.

Matthews Nylander Marner
Kadri Marleau Brown
Hyman Martin Leivo
Sosh Kapanen Johnsson
Grundstrom Korshkov

i don't think we should be throwing away any of these guys.

Matthews Nylander Marner
Kadri Marleau Brown
Hyman Martin Leivo
Sosh Kapanen Johnsson
Grundstrom Korshkov

i don't think we should be throwing away any of these guys.

Shouldn’t be throwing JVR away either.

There’s nothing below those top two groupings that comes anywhere close to what he produces.

I’m hoping he does go for the discount and shorter term to stay.

w/both Borgman-Carrick: 10gms, 8-2-0, 2.90gaa
w/one of Polak/Rosen in: 9gms, 4-5-0, 3.78gaa

if someone could double check those numbers at some point, that would be great. i think they're right.

Hoping the Polak experiment is over, thougb we are in need of a d-man that can kill penalties and do what Babs wanted Polak to do

Ron Hainsey is killing a ridiculous amount of penalties for the Leafs this season
By Jonas Siegel

The Leafs expect Hainsey to snuff out looks like that from opposing power plays, leaning on him to kill penalties this season like no player in recent NHL memory. Hainsey has been on the ice for an astounding 86 per cent (!) of the Leafs shorthanded minutes through 19 games — missing all but about 16 penalty killing minutes with two of those coming when he served his first and only minor penalty of the season.

HainseyPK1.png

Hainsey is averaging more than five shorthanded minutes per game (5:08 to be precise), a mark that only one player has matched in the last 10 years: Derian Hatcher, who averaged 5:37 for the Flyers in the 2006-07 campaign.

No one has really even come close in more recent seasons.

Often, Hainsey doesn't even leave the ice for an entire two-minute kill. That's not something he said he's been told explicitly to do by the coaching staff. It's dependent rather on how things are going and who might be in the box. If it's Zaitsev or Morgan Rielly (the only other defenceman drawing a regular shorthanded shift), for instance, then Hainsey, for certain, will stay out there the whole time.

“It only works, really, if you're doing a good job keeping the other team out of your zone,” Hainsey said. “If you're running around your zone for a minute you're burned — you gotta get off.”

He's been reasonably effective, too — at least according to the best (albeit imperfect) numbers available. The Leafs have allowed about 75 unblocked attempts per 60 minutes with Hainsey on the ice shorthanded, the 39th-best mark league-wide among the 109 defenders who've played at least 30 minutes.

The Toronto penalty kill, despite giving up fewer unblocked attempts on goal this year, has been a touch worse than last season — 82.5 per cent vs. 80.6 per cent — but that looks to be tied to a slight dip from Frederik Andersen, who had a .894 save percentage shorthanded last year — fifth-best among those that played at least 40 games.

Hainsey, for one, doesn't seem the least bit bothered by it. Asked how he felt after the 12-minute marathon against the Jets on opening night, he responded in typically succinct fashion: “It felt fine.”

https://theathletic.com/154382/2017...mount-of-penalties-for-the-leafs-this-season/

The only real downside there is that it's limiting the Rielly-Hainsey's ice time at even strength a bit.

James Mirtle‏Verified account @mirtle

Matthews says he feels a lot better. Not certain on playing tomorrow.

Back