• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

What about a guy like Girardi at 41.3? This was a guy that was universally hated as a potential signing here. Is he a product of his environment? Rebound? Of course lots of variables at play here.

This tool only gives me this year so it's hard to tell. Could be a bit of both though where he's bounced back a bit, and entered a new situation with a much, much better group of forwards to pass the puck to in a free flowing system where he's asked to do a lot less of the defensive heavy lifting.

With that said, 41.3 isn't really impressive here. When you break down his contributions, he's pretty grim at zone entries and exits but once the puck is in the offensive zone he does a pretty good job ragging it around and helping to generate shot opportunities.

yeah i'm not so sure about that stat.

Oh, it's definitely incomplete but it does pass the smell test for puck moving as a skill imo. The guys who we expect to see at the top are largely at the top and the guys we expect to see at the bottom are largely at the bottom.

Yotes are looking for two high end roster players and a 1st in return
02aaa19e789d7f2ddf1ddb602e7779d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sure

Krug - 64.4
Chara - 27.4
McAvoy - 45.0
Carlo - 16.4
Miller - 52.0
Grzelcyk - 59.1
Avg: 44.05

At first glance it looks like there could be a bias to one side of the ice or the other, and also within the same pairing (ie it might reflect to some extent a teams bias to breakout on one side of the ice of the other, which could be a reflection of personnel (and which In itself could be a reflection of how a team is assembled).

OEL would be a huge add despite his poor play this year. I think any deal starts with Liljegren ++. Shattenkirk last year returned a 1st, a conditional 2nd+ two decent prospects.

Hefty price to pay but i think he's the type of dman that we need. Unless a Doughty decides to come here as a free agent i don't see how else we can acquire a #1. Liljegren is pretty good in his own right so maybe he develops into one.

At first glance it looks like there could be a bias to one side of the ice or the other, and also within the same pairing (ie it might reflect to some extent a teams bias to breakout on one side of the ice of the other, which could be a reflection of personnel (and which In itself could be a reflection of how a team is assembled).

I don't know if I see a bias here:

McAvoy (45), Carlo (16.4), and Miller (52) play the right in Boston, Chara (27.4), Krug (64.4) and Grzelcyk (59.1) play the left.

It just appears that Carlo is a poor puck mover (which shouldn't surprise anyone who looks at his junior hockey and now NHL offensive statistics) and that Chara has gotten old and doesn't move the puck particularly well anymore either. I don't see bias towards either side of the ice though. Not to say that this isn't possible as certain teams will look to pump the puck up one side of the ice more than the other because of personnel, but I don't see it in the numbers that you quoted. I think what could be a lot more common than that in this metric is bias on individual pairings where the better puck handler on a pairing does so much of the puck moving that it could artificially depress the numbers of their pairing mate. But even then we'd need to see way, way bigger samples and examples of defenders playing with different pairing mates, on different teams, etc to figure that out.

I don't think we should go firing huge assets out at a guy who could turn around shortly and ask for 10 million (and know that we're over the barrel due to the player acquisition cost) to keep him.

If we could have gotten him with 3-4 good years left on a deal great. If we can get him and extend him at a reasonable number, again great. But I definitely don't love the idea of unloading the clip to get OEL, getting a cheap 2018-19 out of him and then being forced into paying ~10 million to keep him until he's 35.

I'd rather we just hold course and see what shakes loose in free agency (could even be OEL himself) or trade that brings us the improvement we need.

I agree with Mindz. We have time on our side. Lots of it. Slow build and take advantage of opportunities as they arise.

ie. Tavares this summer.

Who's the source for this?
Seems to be Garrioch

Typically you dismiss any rumors from him but they have been linked to OEL for a while

Now the asking price? Doubt that has any merit to it

I can't think of a single reason why ARZ would even consider trading OEL.

If ARZ trades OEL away, their first priority on the very next day would be replace OEL.

I can't think of a single reason why ARZ would even consider trading OEL.

If ARZ trades OEL away, their first priority on the very next day would be replace OEL.

Will he resign with them? Can they afford him? The most expensive contracts on their teams are usually guys on LTIR.
Arizona needs everything. They are a freaking mess.

Seems to be Garrioch

Typically you dismiss any rumors from him but they have been linked to OEL for a while

Now the asking price? Doubt that has any merit to it
Garrioch is one of the hackiest hacks still employed in the hockey print media, so I think it's pretty safe to dismiss any of his purported "insider information" as something that he made up entirely on his own. Still, just as an idea, "OEL to the Leafs" is worth talking about.

Personally, I don't think I'd be interested in doing it. I don't think Ekman-Larsson's enough of a boost to our short-term Stanley Cup hopes that it'd be worth blowing out our first round pick, or any of our most blue-chip prospects/young roster players to get him.

I'd still rather stick with the patient rebuild, and see what shakes loose in the summer.

Will he resign with them? Can they afford him? The most expensive contracts on their teams are usually guys on LTIR.
Arizona needs everything. They are a freaking mess.

Yeah, obviously their last chance of rebuilding didn't work, so dealing OEL could help restock the cupboards. But you still expect they'd only deal him for a ransom in return.

I don't know if their rebuilding 'doesn't work' ... Arizona is in a sad state right now but if you look at their prospects and young players they're not bad at all - Chychrun, Strome, Dvorak, Keller ... they have the potential to take a big jump as soon as next season (especially if they get another top draft pick this month)

I get why players may want to jump ship from a sad team but then again, over and over we see good players re-sign with bad teams. If they have determined OEL is not going to re-sign sure they'd like to trade him, but it seems premature to trade him NOW, as compared to trading him next year at the trade deadline. Especially if the team gets better next year OEL can change his heart (and that's assuming he actually wants to leave now, which is only an assumption).

For a guy as good and as young as OEL I just don't see ARZ trading him now instead of waiting till the last minute to give up.

I still think Demers should be a target.

He still puts up solid all around numbers and is on a very reasonable contract

Putting up just over 50% CF at evens on that tire fire is a feat in itself

Back