• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
This is about as good a way to start the season as there is I think:

Dhiren Mahiban‏Verified account @dcmahiban

#Leafs to add Charlie Conacher, Red Kelly, Frank Mahovlich and Wendel Clark to legends row outside the the ACC on Thursday.

I figure they should be ready to put Matthews there by Jan-Feb or so.

Rosen is the final cut.

The Leafs had 4 young players that legit should have made the team, and would have made a lot of teams in the NHL, but they are just too deep. Kapanen, Rosen, Dermott, Aaltonen all deserve it.

Its crazy. Two years ago they could barely ice a team.

Not surprised. Not that we didn't already know that Matthews was at least getting 10 mil a year. More than Eichel, less than McDavid.

Wonder if this might effect what Nylander/Marner could be getting ?

Last edited:
Not surprised. Not that we didn't already know that Matthews was at least getting 10 mil a year.

Wonder if this might effect what Nylander/Marner could be getting ?
Exactly. Seems to me that this contract is good news for us either way.

It sort of maintains that McDavid is an outlier at $12.5M, and that the league's artificial cap is still Toews/Kane money at around $10M per season. It'll be hard for Matthews to justify getting more, unless he goes legend like McDavid did in his second year and wins the scoring title---while reaching a milestone like 50 goals or 100 points.

In which case, you don't give a **** about paying him McDavid money, if you have to.

Ray Ferraro says Leafs better suited to win a Cup before Oilers. Calls Matthews generational and that there are less questions in our lineup than the Oilers. Says we're deeper and have more organizational depth to handle any injuries. Goaltending about equal. We have more cap flexibility going forward as well.

In another segment (I won't post points) Button chooses Oilers while Jeff O'Neil says Leafs.

Last edited:
Matthews @ 11mil
Nylander @ 7-9
Marner @ 7-8

?
Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much their market value, if you want to sign them for the full eight years.

Though there's always the possibility Lou works his magic and convinces them to take less. Kadri & Rielly both came in at lower numbers than I would've predicted.

Ray Ferraro says Leafs better suited to win a Cup before Oilers. Calls Matthews generational and that there's less questions in our lineup than the Oilers. Says we're deeper and have more organizational depth to handle any injuries. Goaltending about equal. We have more cap flexibility going forward as well.

In another segment (I won't post points) Button chooses Oilers while Jeff O'Neil says Leafs.

Button is a fool.

Mirtle had a decently convincing article yesterday about how Hyman isn't actually as stone handed as last years stats make him look. So that was encouraging.

Mirtle had a decently convincing article yesterday about how Hyman isn't actually as stone handed as last years stats make him look. So that was encouraging.
Yeah, he has produced at lower levels before. Maybe he grows moving forward and becomes decent offensively.

Ray Ferraro says Leafs better suited to win a Cup before Oilers. Calls Matthews generational and that there's less questions in our lineup than the Oilers. Says we're deeper and have more organizational depth to handle any injuries. Goaltending about equal. We have more cap flexibility going forward as well.

I loved hearing O'Neil's rant about Vancouver and how soft the media is and how whiney the fans are. It's about time someone mentions that.

If the Oilers are going to win their Cups, they'd better do it soon.

McDavid's new deal hasn't even kicked in yet, and their depth already isn't very good. I'd say at least 50% of their forwards wouldn't be capable of cracking this Leaf roster out of training camp.

They're also still in the early stages of the Milan Lucic deal, and that could start going downhill pretty rapidly any time now. And if Chiarelli's time in Boston is any indication, they can't expect much in the way of reinforcements through the draft.

We have a 20 goal scorer on our 4th line. A 30 goal man as our 2nd or 3rd centre. A generational dominant centre just beginning what should be a Hall Of Fame career, and two other guys who could be legit superstars behind him. Oh yeah, they're just starting their careers too.

What a time to be alive.

This team keeps making the right moves (although not perfect, obviously). I quite like that they've gone with Borgman to start the season on the bottom pair. Rosen looked increasing out of his depth as the preseason wore on. Dermott, I would have preferred, but a tad more seasoning never hurt a 20 year old blueliner.

Borgman brings a physical presence the Leafs blueline was lacking without Polak, and he was by no means ideal. Borgman looks to have Polak's physicality but much better puck skill.

Hainsey also grew on me as the preseason went on. I think the blueline will be significantly better than last year.

I find Buffalo giving a guy who has yet to put together a ppg season an 8 year, 10 per contract a bit concerning.

Back