• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

I guess it would be a surprise if it's not somehow sex harassment related given all the recent news.

Agreed, but the wording of that release is curious if that's the case. As is the lack of local reporting thus far. Then again, the NFL isn't investigating like they should be, so the whole thing is weird.

the other thing I think of is maybe some kind of tax dodging or something along those lines. Could be paying people under the table to avoid taxes .

I dunno ... I'm thinking more like the George HW Bush version of harassment ... you know. Dirty old man who isn't really as with it as he seems to be.

But that's PURE speculation. There's not a thing to back any of that up as of yet.

I dunno ... I'm thinking more like the George HW Bush version of harassment ... you know. Dirty old man who isn't really as with it as he seems to be.

But that's PURE speculation. There's not a thing to back any of that up as of yet.

A SI article indicates it’s much more pervasive than that. There have been several confidential settlements for sexual harassment and racial slurs. The article also says that their investigation pre-dates the Panthers’ statement on Friday. The NFL has taken over the investigation.

https://www.si.com/jerry-richardson...lace-misconduct-sexual-harassment-racial-slur

sounds like a repeat of George Shinn who was 1st hornets owner. At first they loved him but then he got caught up in similar stuff with women and he was basically ridden out of town on a rail.

sounds like a repeat of George Shinn who was 1st hornets owner. At first they loved him but then he got caught up in similar stuff with women and he was basically ridden out of town on a rail.
As he should have been. And nobody in Charlotte loved Shinn, per se. They loved the Hornets and he was the owner, and if he had sold the team and move quietly along the road, he wouldn’t be a hated firgure today. But he decided to try and extort a new arena out of the taxpayers while he was going through his gross personal behavior issues.

Richardson isn’t bulletproof because owns the Panthers. This won’t end well for him ... as well it shouldn’t if any of this stuff is accurate. Which I assume it is. His restaurant chain had racisism issues even before he got awarded the Panthers franchise.

News out of Charlotte ... Richardson will sell the team after the season. He released a letter today.

Richardson was also known for what multiple women call the “seatbelt maneuver.” He would invite female employees out to lunch, and in keeping with his reputation as a self-styled gentleman, he would open the car door for his guests. Once they were seated, however, he would insist on fastening their seatbelt for them, reaching across their lap and brushing his hand across their breasts before putting the belt in the clasp."

Richardson was also known for what multiple women call the “seatbelt maneuver.” He would invite female employees out to lunch, and in keeping with his reputation as a self-styled gentleman, he would open the car door for his guests. Once they were seated, however, he would insist on fastening their seatbelt for them, reaching across their lap and brushing his hand across their breasts before putting the belt in the clasp."

Yeah ... the sum of the stories paints a picture of dirty old man (with a side order of general purpose racist bastage) who was allowed to run rampant with no real repercussions due to his position within the organization. It's sickening, frankly, and this long time practice of hiding behind private settlements and no disclosure agreements is disgusting. Frankly, pro sports leagues have the power to do something about that but only if the old schmucks who own the teams decide to do so ... which prolly ain't going to happen. I mean, as an association they could require that the league be informed of any private settlements with club employees, regardless of circumstances.

But ... just more hideous behavior from a powerful old dude. Ugh.

Yeah ... the sum of the stories paints a picture of dirty old man (with a side order of general purpose racist bastage) who was allowed to run rampant with no real repercussions due to his position within the organization. It's sickening, frankly, and this long time practice of hiding behind private settlements and no disclosure agreements is disgusting. Frankly, pro sports leagues have the power to do something about that but only if the old schmucks who own the teams decide to do so ... which prolly ain't going to happen. I mean, as an association they could require that the league be informed of any private settlements with club employees, regardless of circumstances.

But ... just more hideous behavior from a powerful old dude. Ugh.

The NBA forced Donald Sterling to sell the Clippers but that's really been it as far as forced sales. Goodell suspended Colts owner Jim Irsay for 6 games for a DWI a few years ago. The commissioner has wide ranging powers under the team agreements to take unilateral action. Michael McCann on SI.com had an article a few weeks ago about the Commissioner's power when Jerry Jones was attempting to derail Goodell's extension.

The NBA forced Donald Sterling to sell the Clippers but that's really been it as far as forced sales. Goodell suspended Colts owner Jim Irsay for 6 games for a DWI a few years ago. The commissioner has wide ranging powers under the team agreements to take unilateral action. Michael McCann on SI.com had an article a few weeks ago about the Commissioner's power when Jerry Jones was attempting to derail Goodell's extension.

Yeah ... I'm more thinking about a sweeping change to their reporting requirements and I'm not sure any commissioner has the power to implement that kind of stuff unilaterally.

Another bombshell...John Skipper has resigned as President of ESPN. He cited a longstanding substance addiction and will seek treatment.

Yeah ... I'm more thinking about a sweeping change to their reporting requirements and I'm not sure any commissioner has the power to implement that kind of stuff unilaterally.

I agree. Ultimately, the teams are private businesses and non-football expenses are probably not reported to the league at any level of detail. However, the league can amend the team agreements and require them to disclose certain payments. But it would probably require a 2/3 or 3/4 majority to amend.

the packers are owned by stockholders so they may already have requirements to report this kind of payment. They are not a public company though , the stock does not trade on a market.

Skipper has presided over a repulsive culture of misogynistic behavior for as long as he's been at ESPN so he's not getting off the hook that easily. At least not in my book.

I really hate to sound skeptical on his reasoning (i hope he gets the help he needs with substance abuse) but I think there are probably more reasons than this. Anyone want to bet inappropriate behavior charges come out in next couple of days/weeks?

As a general comment, it is almost embarrassing to be a man these days. How in the world have so many people NOT learned basic respect and human decency.....especially toward women? People need help.......

Back