Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Here is Alex Burrows being Alex Burrows. McKenzie tweeted that he’s been offered an in-person hearing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandacst...0%7Ctwterm%5E0

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Burrows got 10 games. Shoulda been more. Burrows got 2 for cross checking and 2 for roughing for this asshattery. He’s a repeat offender with 1 suspension and 5 fines.

https://www.nhl.com/news/senators-al...es/c-295725412

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Burrows got 10 games. Shoulda been more. Burrows got 2 for cross checking and 2 for roughing for this asshattery. Hes a repeat offender with 1 suspension and 5 fines.

https://www.nhl.com/news/senators-al...es/c-295725412
    How terrible are on-ice officials when they saw nothing but two minor penalties on that play???

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have preferred 20-25... but I guess it's good to see he got double digits at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    I'd have preferred 20-25... but I guess it's good to see he got double digits at least.
    Yeah. That would have been appropriate but for whatever reason the league wants to ramp up to the serious suspension levels first. Since he'd only actually been suspended once, there's no way this bunch give him 20+ games regardless of whether or not his actions warrant it or not. God forbid some rookie with no history goes out and tries to decapitate a guy. He'd end up with a one game ban and a fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Rangers sent out a letter today explaining what sounds like a rebuild. Wonder who they trade besides Nash?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 02-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    Rangers sent out a letter today explaining what sounds like a rebuild. Wonder who they trade besides Nash?
    .... also shows how close we are to "the brink"... we're 2 points ahead of a team throwing in the towel.

Post Thanks / Like

They've got a fair number of bad contracts and declining players. But of course, they've got the cash to buy out or bury some of them.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d take McDonagh here for Faulk straight up!!! Just do it Rags!!!

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a pretty interesting article up today on The Athletic website about how the forecheck has changed in the NHL over last 10 years. In the past, you used to judge how effective a forecheck was by how loud the body contact was but in today's game it is more about the stick check and not the body contact. Interesting article and I think it makes some good points. You don't have to be physical to have a great forecheck.

Don't think paywall will let you access article, but here goes if you can - https://theathletic.com/238590/2018/...-stick-checks/

Post Thanks / Like

Meh ... stick checking is a skill, just like body checking. Neither is preferable over the other so long as the end result is separating the opponent from the puck. Playing the body, however, gives the added benefit of physically wearing an opponent down. I don't have any real bias one way or the other, but you see a lot of guys looking silly when they get beat going for the stick or sweep check (see Hanifin, Noah) and that does tend to skew the eye test in favor of just "hitting the guy"

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 And at some point after taking a beating a player naturally wears down and will be less and less inclined to continue "winning" the race for loose pucks along the boards. More McGinn's, less Rask's please.
    Shape Up or Ship Out

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFG View Post
    +1 And at some point after taking a beating a player naturally wears down and will be less and less inclined to continue "winning" the race for loose pucks along the boards. More McGinn's, less Rask's please.
    Teams need a mix of both kinds of players. If Rask were performing up to expectations, it would be a less glaring issue, because he'd be contributing in other ways. But he's too often wearing Ryan Bayda's Cloak of Invisibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Teams need a mix of both kinds of players. If Rask were performing up to expectations, it would be a less glaring issue, because he'd be contributing in other ways. But he's too often wearing Ryan Bayda's Cloak of Invisibility.
    Oh, absolutely. Rask's lack of physical play is by no means whatsoever offset by anything else he's doing. He's still shooting the puck pretty well, as his 12% shooting percentage will attest ... second on the team among regulars to Aho ... and he's well above 50% on face-offs. But nothing else is happening with him. He's not playmaking (8 assists), he's not using his size ... he's just not engaging in the game most of the time. Maybe you could chalk some of it up to being a bad fit for the system, but honestly I don't think that's it. He's just gone walkabout.

Post Thanks / Like

The Devils put Cory Schneider on IR officially yesterday and he is expected to start skating again next week.

You just know how this is going to play out with Eddie Lack as Kinkade's backup this week with us playing the Devils twice. The Sunday game is the 2nd night of a back to back for the Devils (they are @Tampa the night before). I suspect I know who the Devils are going to start in net Sunday against us.

So far Lack is 0-1-0 with a 3.41 GAA and .868 Sv% for the Devils, but of course none of that will matter when he plays against us.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 02-13-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    The Devils put Cory Schneider on IR officially yesterday and he is expected to start skating again next week.

You just know how this is going to play out with Eddie Lack as Kinkade's backup this week with us playing the Devils twice. The Sunday game is the 2nd night of a back to back for the Devils (they are @Tampa the night before). I suspect I know who the Devils are going to start in net that game.

So far Lack is 0-1-0 with a 3.41 GAA and .868 Sv% for the Devils, but of course none of that will matter when he plays against us.
    Ugh. History is not kind to the Canes in that scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

Lack shutout?

Post Thanks / Like

Lack shutout?
    Lacko Taco

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Talked about in game thread but first big trade nearing deadline. - https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-ph...shore-1.998261

Am I the only one who doesn't get what the hell Ottawa is doing? Honestly it isn't a great trade for either team but I see why LA did it. Francis should pick up the phone and call Ottawa. Karlsson would look great in a Canes uniform and the way Ottawa is trending he could be had for Faulk, some Carolina BBQ, and coupons from Canadian Tire. That franchise is a complete disaster!

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't get what the hell Ottawa is doing? [snip] That franchise is a complete disaster!
    Sens owner Eugene Melnyk disagrees. He just gave GM Pierre Dorion a 3 year extension through the 21-22 season.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/se...on/c-295793586

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast