• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Yeah I didn't type that properly. He stocked up big in the deal, Turris ends up in Nashville and Duchene and the Sens get the union they've wanted.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Duchen will outshine and outproduce Turris hugely. While not elite, Duchene does have talent level at or around the level of Jeff Skinner. That kind of drive and determination and when he's on he can make some silly sick plays. Still being young, I think he's gonna have an immediate (+) impact in Ottawa

Duchene is better than Turris....but not that much better considering what all Ottawa gave up. Duchene will need to put up big numbers (point per game) to justify this trade....and he has the ability. The real winners to me were Sakic (huge return!) and Nashville. Nashville is very strong done the middle now, combined with a couple very good wingers and of course that defense. Goalie is the only question mark Nashville has from being a Cup favorite over the next 5 years.

Last 5 seasons:

Turris 358 games 105 goals 140 Assists
Duchene 367 Games 113 goals 165 Assists

There isn't enough of a difference between Duchene and Turris to trade Turris, a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick and Ottawa's late first round pick last draft for Matt Duchene. That was a terrible trade to me. Both Nashville and Colorado won big time on that trade....Ottawa basically gave up a 1st and 3rd rounder and last years 1st rounder for what I expect will be very little improvement overall.

Last edited:
I guess it's the context-- Duchene was on a crap team that always seemed rebuilding and his numbers are comparable to Turris' numbers on a team that's one game shy of SCF. Turris is older and certainly wanted money+term on a budget team that's signing Karlsson. Overall, I really don't see how OTT got better and if COL's draft picks don't pan out, then they didn't make out. NAS just got immediately better with solid 2nd line center behind Johansen.

As I understand it, Ottawa didn't think they could extend Turris. So the picks extend their window of opportunity for yet another season while they work on extending Duchenne, who is now back in his home province on a team that wants him. Plus Hammond was a salary dump.

As I understand it, Ottawa didn't think they could extend Turris. So the picks extend their window of opportunity for yet another season while they work on extending Duchenne, who is now back in his home province on a team that wants him. Plus Hammond was a salary dump.

I saw an article where Dorion said that Turris wanted 7 or 8 years. Then he immediately agreed to 6 with Nashville.

On paper it looks like Ottawa was stupid. But too many intangibles here point to the likeliness that Duchene will do pretty good in Ottawa. Something that stats aren't gonna tell you. Well worth the risk, but only for the Sens. Otherwise, no team would have made that move

Ottawa's GM just buying another year of time before it all comes crashing down...or not.

Extend Duchene next off-season, when eligible. Maybe extend Karlsson that same off-season (if they can) before he too goes UFA. Maybe they do keep the band together.

But maybe not. So this season and maybe the next could be their last hurrah for a bit.

Traded a bit of the Future for Now. Understandable.

Exactly. They are taking a chance. But you're not going to see change without ever taking risks. Its not like he's a square peg (Duchene). Nothing's a done deal, but in the long run maybe Sakic had it right. You're not going to get something for nothing. There has to be something coming back deemed of value. Turris wanted out anyway. He did sign for less term in the end..

Personally, it has its nice quaint spots, but all in all, Ottawa is a !@$ hole of a 'city'. Some pretty nasty parts to it. Can't spend all your time in the museums. Although its quite possible.

The Antti Niemi NHL tour continues. Waived by Florida yesterday, the Habs claimed him today to help them cover Carey Price's injury

The damage done so far by Niemi this season:

with Pittsburgh: 0-3-0 7.49 GAA .797 Sv%
with Florida: 0-1-0 5.11 GAA .872 Sv% (he played 59 minutes over 2 games)

Fortunately for Montreal, Charlie Lindgren has stepped in for them and has put up a 3-1-0 record with a 1.24 GAA and a .964 SV%. Regular backup Al Montoya has a concussion and is out indefinitely.

I'm sure the Habs will be very happy if Niemi doesn't play a game for them. Marc Bergevin hinted that when Price comes back that Niemi might stick around as the backup at least until Montoya comes back to claim his job. They don't want Lindgren, who they believe is a legit NHL starting goalie prospect, to be sitting behind Price playing very infrequently (which of course is smart).

Last edited:
Patrick Sullivan was saying the decision to claim a player like Niemi can crush a locker room- defense feels extra pressure, offense feels pressure and players know that Niemi is pretty much toast as a player who won’t contribute. He said guys would rather play in front of a guy playing his first NHL game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pens really haven't found a good replacement yet since waiving Niemi. Casey DeSmith was ineffective in relief of Matt Murray and only got 42 minutes (4.30 GAA, .800 Sv%). The Pens ended up calling up Tristan Jerry who is their younger hopeful NHL caliber goalie from the AHL and he has managed 2 OT losses in his 2 starts (2.84 GAA .903 Sv%). Its hasn't gone any better for Matt Murray so far (2.98 GAA .903 Sv%). Sidney Crosby only has 15 points in 20 games and is a NHL worst -14.

Rough start for the Pens.

Still real early on the Matt Duchene returns...here is where we are early on:

with Sens Matt Duchene 2 games 0 points -3

with Preds Kyle Turris 2 games 1 Goal 2 assists +2

I will probably be proven wrong, but I'm still betting that Turris outperforms Duchene this season. I understand that the Sens didn't want to make the commitment to Turris and with Duchene they get a slightly younger player with an additional year on his contract, but they traded an awful lot to get Duchene and I think actually got the lesser player.

2 games in and the stats support your opinion. But let's be realistic. The Preds and Sens aren't evenly balanced teams. This trade wont be easy to judge for a few months, minimum.

2 games in and the stats support your opinion. But let's be realistic. The Preds and Sens aren't evenly balanced teams. This trade wont be easy to judge for a few months, minimum.

If you are a Sens fan, maybe you hope Duchene does not light it up too much too fast...because that next contract is going to be a doozy...

That is all true Kahuna, but I still don't quite get how replacing one 2nd line center with another 2nd line center AND giving up a pile of assets in the process makes a team better. If Turris was like 35 years old I could see the logic, but Duchene and Turris are pretty close in age. I think Ottawa basically made a sideways move with that deal and gave up a pile of assets to do so.

Still real early on the Matt Duchene returns...here is where we are early on:

with Sens Matt Duchene 2 games 0 points -3

with Preds Kyle Turris 2 games 1 Goal 2 assists +2

I will probably be proven wrong, but I'm still betting that Turris outperforms Duchene this season. I understand that the Sens didn't want to make the commitment to Turris and with Duchene they get a slightly younger player with an additional year on his contract, but they traded an awful lot to get Duchene and I think actually got the lesser player.

Dorion said that Turris was stuck on 7 or 8 years and he wouldn't go that high. Then Turris signed a 6 year deal in Nashville.

Back