• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Panthers deal is signed. NFL should not have an issue with the new owner since he already owns part of the Steelers. They should approve him next week.

Boston University head coach David Quinn is likely to be next Rangers coach. 5 years as a head coach in college . 3 years head coach in the AHL , made playoffs 1 year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Quinn_(ice_hockey)

Yeah ... talked to a couple of New Yawkers this week who were convinced that was gonna happen. They weren't thrilled; preferring a "big name" coach in classic Rangers fan fashion. We're seeing a mini run on college coaches in the NHL after a long drought, and why not? The recycling thing doesn't work for everybody.

Garth Snow has been in his job entirely too long with little to show for it and now, because of his decisions, they're looking to lose Tavares in free agency unless Lou can make a miracle happen.

Sharks sign Evander Kane to a 7 year/$49 million contract. His base salary varies over the course of the contract and he gets $12 million in signing bonuses spread out over 5 of the 7 years. He got a modified NTC where he can list 3 teams he can be traded to. He would have been a UFA on July 1.

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-re-sign-evander-kane/c-298753408

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/evander-kane

So...(Player Comparison)...are we ready to pay Skinner $7.5M+ for the next 7-8 seasons?

I just don't see that puzzle piece fitting into all the other youngbloods that will need contract extensions to continue to hang around with us.

Hence the trade talk.

So...(Player Comparison)...are we ready to pay Skinner $7.5M+ for the next 7-8 seasons?

I just don't see that puzzle piece fitting into all the other youngbloods that will need contract extensions to continue to hang around with us.

Hence the trade talk.

Skinner's a much better offensive player than Kane and a much more natural finisher. Going purely on that comparison he's worth significantly more than that.

Hence the trade talk.

I would rather have Kane than Skinner if you are going to price them the same and I feel more strongly about it if someone tries to convince me that Skinner is worth more. While I agree Skinner is a more natural goal scorer than Kane, Kane brings a lot of intangibles that Canes currently lack. Major toughness and I have seen him knock at least two guys out cold in fights during his career. He makes the players on the ice with him more effective than Skinner. They both have the same flaw of disappearing during long stretches. That is probably the one way they are the same.

No one is going to pay Jeff Skinner $7.5 million for one season, nevermind 7 or 8 of them. Maybe down the road if he becomes a 40 goal guy....

Skinner is fairly valued at a maximum of $6 million per at the moment. If I was running the show, if Skinner was really interested in re-signing here, he would get 3 extension offers from me:

6 years, $34.5 million

4 years, $24 million

1 year, $6.5 million

NONE of those would have a full NMC...if he wants a limited NTC that is fine.

That last one protects the Canes if Jeff wants to 'feel out' how things will work under Brindy. Call that a 'punt' on both sides committing to a long term contract while we change our system and personnel. Remember, the Canes supposedly are approaching contracts as 'we are not going to pay top dollar, but we are willing to give term instead'. That is what the new contracts guy said in his interview (remains to be seen of course).

If Jeff is not willing to sign any of those deals then the Canes need to be working (with him and his agent) on finding a landing spot for him THIS OFFSEASON. Under no circumstances should we enter this final season with Jeff Skinner playing the final year of his contract out with us. I'm fully expecting him to be traded before we hit the draft.

Last edited:
After 4 years of being shunted to a support role and constantly harped at by the coaching staff, I fully expect Skinner to expect to be richly compensated for even testing out how things go under Brind'Amour ... who, no matter how much everybody wants to avoid the issue was in fact part of the staff that thought it was a great idea to stick their most natural goal scorer on the third line with likes of Derek freaking Ryan as his center for months on end.

Face it ... he's probably gone this summer, and if not and we don't extend his deal before camp, then we're taking one hell of a big risk.

Back