• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

and a DUI over there is 0.02% but here it's 0.08% (was 0.10 for a long time in the US)

Also on the Panthers story , the old owner forced the new owner to keep his statue outside the stadium as part of the deal. I guess $2.2 billion was not enough to stroke his ego.

I think this is pretty much a great deal for Tampa....for the entire length of the contract. Kucherov is now under contract until he is 34. As long as he stays healthy he will put up numbers. He is a top 10 elite talent in the NHL with a Cap hit of 9.5 for the remainder of his prime. Would you rather have a Dougthy locked up at $11M per until age of age of 37 or the Kucherov deal. That is a no brainer to me on Kucherov. Elite guys make elite money and 9.5 is reasonable along with the term.

I also don't think it takes them out of Karlsson sweepstakes. They are still going after him.

I think a look at Chicago and that cap mess with Seabrook, Hossa, Toews etc is why too many mega deals will come back to bite hard over time, Chicago won 3 cups so well worth the cap hell now but Tampa is going to have to win a couple Cups soon if they are all in with the big ticket salaries they are loading up on. They have around $3.5 million cap space next year and Karlsson has 1 year left at $6.5 million then likely due Doughty type money at $11 or $12 million per.

zzzzzzzzz.....this league needs someone to attempt a good ole' fashion RFA poaching to get some offseason excitement going again. News like UFA Patrick Maroon signing with the St. Louis for a substantial discount (1 year, $1.75 million) or RFA Connor Hellebuyck and the Jets agreeing to 6 years $37 million is boring me.

Get this Karlsson trade done already! And someone go and try to poach Hanifin from the Flames, or Nylander from the Leafs....come on man, let's get something big cooking here NHL GMs!

Last edited:
Marian Hossa will not be part of any trade between the Canes and Blackhawks. He was traded to Arizona with Vinnie Hinostroza, Jordan Oesterle and a 2019 third-round pick. The Blackhawks receive Marcus Kruger, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jordan Maletta, Andrew Campbell and a 2019 fifth-round draft pick.

Marian Hossa will not be part of any trade between the Canes and Blackhawks. He was traded to Arizona with Vinnie Hinostroza, Jordan Oesterle and a 2019 third-round pick. The Blackhawks receive Marcus Kruger, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jordan Maletta, Andrew Campbell and a 2019 fifth-round draft pick.

Ick. I'm glad we didn't get involved in that kind of garbage deal.

Wow, good luck trying to figure out a winner in that trade. That helps Arizona create some dead cap hit I guess. The players are all assorted filler unless you think The Marcus Kruger of his Chicago glory days will reappear. Zona got the better players.

Its POSSIBLE that this is a precursor for the Blackhawks making another trade. There was all the talk about Hossa back to the Canes in a trade...well, the Hossa mess is out of the way (not to the Canes thankfully)....so....does that make a Justin Faulk to Chicago trade easier now?

Last edited:
Wow, good luck trying to figure out a winner in that trade. That helps Arizona create some dead cap hit I guess. The players are all assorted filler unless you think The Marcus Kruger of his Chicago glory days will reappear. Zona got the better players.

Its POSSIBLE that this is a precursor for the Blackhawks making another trade. There was all the talk about Hossa back to the Canes in a trade...well, the Hossa mess is out of the way (not to the Canes thankfully)....so....does that make a Justin Faulk to Chicago trade easier now?

Chicago has $9.3 million cap space available according to Capfriendly but only 9 forwards and 6 dmen under contract. Kane, Toews, Saad, Seabrook and Crawford make up more than half their cap, so they have more work to do.

Flames sign Elias Lindholm to a 6 year/$29.1 million contract, a $4.85 million AAV. Supposedly, he was looking for 5 years/$25 million from the Canes.

Flames sign Elias Lindholm to a 6 year/$29.1 million contract, a $4.85 million AAV. Supposedly, he was looking for 5 years/$25 million from the Canes.

Maybe the optics look good for the Flames since they can say they got him for under $5 million per...nevertheless, I think it was time for a change for both player and the team when it came to his time here in NC.

Maybe the optics look good for the Flames since they can say they got him for under $5 million per...nevertheless, I think it was time for a change for both player and the team when it came to his time here in NC.

Stick tap to Cory Lavalette for this...Flames have more than $32 million tied up for the next 3 years on 6 forwards; Gadreau, Monahan, Neal, Backlund, Lindholm and Ryan. Bennett and Tkachuk will be RFAs next summer, Bennett has arbitration rights, Tkachuk doesn’t.

Stick tap to Cory Lavalette for this...Flames have more than $32 million tied up for the next 3 years on 6 forwards; Gadreau, Monahan, Neal, Backlund, Lindholm and Ryan. Bennett and Tkachuk will be RFAs next summer, Bennett has arbitration rights, Tkachuk doesn’t.

Have they signed Hanifin yet?

Look, far be it from Canes fan to point fingers, but is there ANY way Treliving has a job this time next year?

If Lindholm get's ample opportunity to play RW with Monahan and Gaudreau he's likely to put up at least 50 points in this coming season and Treliving will be declaring himself a genius for ridding the Flames of guys who don't give a crap like Dougie Hamilton and bringing in young high end talent like Lindholm and then having the foresight to lock them up long term before they start to reach their full potential. You can almost write that article now and then just spring it in January when Lindholm has 25 assists already.

Not saying that trade doesn't end up good for us, just saying that I expect Lindholm to look a whole lot better if he is playing RW with Monahan and Gaudreau (how could he not?)

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzz.....this league needs someone to attempt a good ole' fashion RFA poaching to get some offseason excitement going again. News like UFA Patrick Maroon signing with the St. Louis for a substantial discount (1 year, $1.75 million) or RFA Connor Hellebuyck and the Jets agreeing to 6 years $37 million is boring me....

The Canes should have gone "all in" in burning the bridge to the past mode and done an RFA offer sheet to Tristan Jarry from Pittsburgh. JR would have loved it!

He likely could have been poached for a little more than what the Canes gave Mrazek with better upside as the Pens don't have the cap space. I really don't get the whole no poaching thing that all GM's seem to abide by. Seems like something the players union will want to bring up in next round of negotiations. Makes for a boring off-season and the NBA is far more entertaining in the RFA market.

Back