• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

Ottawa dumped Phaneuf's horrific contract on somebody else. As that clown has slowed with age, he's really about as over-paid as they come at north of $5 mil a year ... for another 3-4 years IIRC. That's a win, regardless of what else happens. They're dead in the water this year anyway and the top end of the draft is thick with promising defensemen. Gaborik won't give them anything but I doubt they care in the short run.

speaking of "slowed with age" it was almost sad to see how slow Gaborik is now. Back in the day, NOONE would have caught him on that breakaway last night.
Ottawa dumped Phaneuf's horrific contract on somebody else. As that clown has slowed with age, he's really about as over-paid as they come at north of $5 mil a year ... for another 3-4 years IIRC. That's a win, regardless of what else happens. They're dead in the water this year anyway and the top end of the draft is thick with promising defensemen. Gaborik won't give them anything but I doubt they care in the short run.

Yeah, but they had to eat $1.75 per year of Phaneuf's contract AND absorbed an equally horrible contract in Gaborik. I am not sure what they accomplished here, other than getting worse for the same money.

EDIT: So it was a move made by an accountant. The Sens save about $3-4M total in this trade over lifetime of contracts, which tells you all you need to know about the Senators. If anything, this likely HELPS Ottawa get to a salary cap floor with the direction they are headed. That is one sad franchise...especially for a Canadian team. The writing was on the wall when they couldn't even sell out ECF games last spring.

Last edited:
What exactly is wrong with saving $3-4 million and shedding that jackass Phaneuf? Win/win if you ask me. There's been speculation that Gaborik is thinking about a retirement tour of Europe sooner rather than later, and if that happens then the Sens also cleared roster space and whatever's left after they buy out Gaborik. They're in full rebuild mode either way.

Yeah, but they had to eat $1.75 per year of Phaneuf's contract AND absorbed an equally horrible contract in Gaborik. I am not sure what they accomplished here, other than getting worse for the same money.

EDIT: So it was a move made by an accountant. The Sens save about $3-4M total in this trade over lifetime of contracts, which tells you all you need to know about the Senators. If anything, this likely HELPS Ottawa get to a salary cap floor with the direction they are headed. That is one sad franchise...especially for a Canadian team. The writing was on the wall when they couldn't even sell out ECF games last spring.

What's sad about it? This is what we've been wishing the Canes would have done at several points - accept that the team is irredeemably flawed before the deadline and go into rebuild/tank mode to get a very high draft pick.

Save money, shed contracts, improve draft position, add draft picks - to get a jump on your rebuild. The Canes model has been fairly maddening which is why we're all at the end of our patience with RF - seems like we've been in a 10 year half-assed rebuild.

What's sad about it? This is what we've been wishing the Canes would have done at several points - accept that the team is irredeemably flawed before the deadline and go into rebuild/tank mode to get a very high draft pick.

Save money, shed contracts, improve draft position, add draft picks - to get a jump on your rebuild. The Canes model has been fairly maddening which is why we're all at the end of our patience with RF - seems like we've been in a 10 year half-assed rebuild.

Isn't the point of a rebuild to acquire a young generational talent? The Sens have one in Karlsson who is still only 27. They were also in the ECF last year and literally one goal away from the SCF. While maybe last year was a fluke, that team is just as mismanaged as you can get....way worse than Carolina ever has been.

Isn't the point of a rebuild to acquire a young generational talent? The Sens have one in Karlsson who is still only 27. They were also in the ECF last year and literally one goal away from the SCF. While maybe last year was a fluke, that team is just as mismanaged as you can get....way worse than Carolina ever has been.

And the GM just got a 3 year extension.

Ottawa is starting to remind me of Montreal when Pierre Gauthier was GM. A lot of Ottawa folks tell me that part of the issue in Ottawa is Guy Boucher- he's good for a season and then the team gets burned on his style and message. He might be a coach that has a shorter shelf life than Torts. If true, would seem GM and coaching choice go hand-in-hand.

Speaking of Torts ... it appears his shelf life might be getting shorter with age. The Jackets are looking more and more like a dead horse, and he just keeps whipping.

Yea. In year's past you always had the Torts and Hitches of the world that eventually burned out. These days seems like very few of them have more than a 3-4 year shelf life.
Speaking of Torts ... it appears his shelf life might be getting shorter with age. The Jackets are looking more and more like a dead horse, and he just keeps whipping.

Addendum: a quick look tells me 24 of them or so have only been with their current team since 2015

Last edited:

Yeah, baring a crazy year end run, Torts is primed to be in the job market this off-season. They were a Cup favorite heading into this year and might not even make the playoffs. 2 of last 3 years are disappointments in C-Bus. He won't survive that.

Vancouver signs Erik Gudbranson to 3 year/$12 million extension. Salary breakdown, $4.4/$4.6/$3.0, no NMC or NTC. He's finishing a 1 year/$3.5 million contract he signed last summer, he would have been a UFA after the season.

He hasn't been particularly great there in Vancouver, but it shows how much Dmen who can play the position are valued.

Word out of Chicago us that Quinville is as good as gone. But that's too much of a gamble and I don't think Peters is going anywhere, literally and figuratively.

But if Francis and Peters are both still here come training camp. I'm done.

Word out of Chicago us that Quinville is as good as gone. But that's too much of a gamble and I don't think Peters is going anywhere, literally and figuratively.

But if Francis and Peters are both still here come training camp. I'm done.

Q would be a dream to have here, but I feel the same, if it's the Wild Bill and Reluctant Ron Show this Fall I'm done too with this outfit. My patience level as a fan of this team is pretty much at a breaking point, and when you spend a great amount of time following a team that just makes you constantly disappointed, it's probably time to go do something else with your time!

Yeah. I’d have to seriously consider my options if they plan to come back for the fall with the same management, coaching and a tweaked version of the same roster. There’s just no point throwing hard earned money away to watch any of that.

Yeah. I’d have to seriously consider my options if they plan to come back for the fall with the same management, coaching and a tweaked version of the same roster. There’s just no point throwing hard earned money away to watch any of that.

Same here. I'm an ECU fan. I know about down years. This is a down organization. We need a lot of new everything.

Please. In addition to being a Canes fan, I'm a New York Mets, Minnesota Vikings, Tottenham Hotspur and Brooklyn Nets fan. Real fans stick with teams through thick and thin. Sure, the thin has been going on for a lot longer than I've wanted with the Canes, but the thick will be that much more awesome when we get there. This is the essence of what being a sports fan is all about.

Please. In addition to being a Canes fan, I'm a New York Mets, Minnesota Vikings, Tottenham Hotspur and Brooklyn Nets fan. Real fans stick with teams through thick and thin. Sure, the thin has been going on for a lot longer than I've wanted with the Canes, but the thick will be that much more awesome when we get there. This is the essence of what being a sports fan is all about.

I honestly do not feel that any fan has a right to question any other fans reasons for how they decide to support or cheer for a team and certainly not to question who is a "real fan". It's still in many ways a product that you choose to spend money and spend time on for your own personal entertainment value. If that product or entertainment entity has constantly been below average you have every right as a fan to be disappointed and decide how you support it moving forward. I've loved the Canes over the years and supported them for their entire existence here, but I'm sick and tired of the losing culture here that just seems to be accepted.

I honestly do not feel that any fan has a right to question any other fans reasons for how they decide to support or cheer for a team and certainly not to question who is a "real fan". It's still in many ways a product that you choose to spend money and spend time on for your own personal entertainment value. If that product or entertainment entity has constantly been below average you have every right as a fan to be disappointed and decide how you support it moving forward. I've loved the Canes over the years and supported them for their entire existence here, but I'm sick and tired of the losing culture here that just seems to be accepted.

I agree. I love you Mr Kurtz, but I'm sure I'm a pretty good fan and I don't have to live up to your expectations.

I owe absolutely zero to the Carolina Hurricanes. I choose to spend a lot of money because I enjoy it. I'm no longer enjoying it and all the $2.50 soda in the world doesn't fix that. I don't feel I need to continue to spend money and prove my fandom when I'm not longer enjoying it and honestly feel like the frustration is doing the exact opposite.

Back