• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

I believe I recall that ass leaving our ice in tears one night.

I clearly recall Tucker getting his face bashed in by Paul Coffey, of all people, during a game in Greensboro when he was a Bolt. Tucker forgot to turtle after cheap shot-ing Coffey, probably figuring the old man with like 3 career fights was just going to swat his legs with his stick when Tucker crosschecked him in the neck. Wrong. Coffey whipped around, pounced on him and went all Ralphie from A Christmas Story on his face. A fond memory indeed.

Barry Trotz resigned! His contract was up this summer.

Edit: Elliotte Friedman tweeted that winning the Cup carried an automatic 2 year extension. But the Caps and Trotz couldn’t agree on a salary.

https://mobile.twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1008785444228587522

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/statement-from-the-washington-capitals-on-barry-trotz/c-299100932

That isn't a bad move by the Caps. Washington 100% deserved to win the Cup this year, but I think it was more about perfect circumstances aligning and years of frustration versus the start of some long term dynasty. The Caps are likely closer to rebuilding than they are repeating next year, so why invest a ton of money in Trotz as your long term head coach?

Will be interesting to see where Trotz lands and how much he is overpaid. When is the last time, if ever, the reigning Stanley Cup winning coach was in the market for a new job? If Trotz only spoke French, I could see a reunion in Montreal with Weber.

Trotz was NOT happy that he wasn't able to negotiate an extension last year and sure as heck wasn't going to budge on his wage demands coming off of a Cup win. Nor should anybody have expected him to do so. Washington played chicken with the wrong guy, but I don't think their current front office was ever sold on Trotz anyway.

I know one thing ... their best player ain't gonna be happy.

Trotz is looking at Mike Babcock's pay stub and wondering why his check and extension looks like it may be missing a few million dollars...market value says Trotz should be in the $4 to $5 million range.

Whenever he sobers up later in the summer and notices! Ovi and the Caps have set the bar pretty high when it comes to post Cup celebrations. They have been very entertaining! :drink

I think the Stars set the bar pretty high in 1999 ... their celebrations ended up in rules for handling the Cup being changed. That's a pretty high bar.

Or a LOT of low bars

Ruutu knocked him out cold on a board hit one night.

https://youtu.be/W_AZmIriAHU

That would have kept the tears in his eyes I suppose. No, the one I recall was in Raleigh when he was w/ the Leafs. Maybe someone popped him in the nose. No controlling tears from a smacked schnoz as I recall. But is was definitely a WTF moment to see the waterworks on a hockey player.

That would have kept the tears in his eyes I suppose. No, the one I recall was in Raleigh when he was w/ the Leafs. Maybe someone popped him in the nose. No controlling tears from a smacked schnoz as I recall. But is was definitely a WTF moment to see the waterworks on a hockey player.

I seem to recall Aaron Ward crosschecking him square in the face in our barn during that timeframe. Maybe that?

Mike Hoffman finally ushered out of Ottawa to San Jose for Boedker and Julius Bergman. Evander Kane and Hoffman together on the same team...good times on and off the ice!

Regarding Ruutu and Tucker-- there was a point when Ruutu gave him a cheap shot and Tucker ended up leaving the game-- may have been that boarding call and video someone linked to. The next time they met, Ruutu willingly dropped the gloves and allowed Tucker the courtesy of a make it even fight, which as I recall, Ruutu may have lost. I think Ruutu's shoulder was in bad shape. For some reason, I always thought it was when Tucker was with Toronto, but it may have been when he was with Colorado.

Mike Hoffman finally ushered out of Ottawa to San Jose for Boedker and Julius Bergman. Evander Kane and Hoffman together on the same team...good times on and off the ice!

Section 328 has a twitter poll asking who San Jose should get next to make the team more unlikeable. Slava Voynov, Mike Danton, Patrick Kane or other.

Mike Danton. Wow. He played college hockey in Canada and then professionally in Europe after being released from prison.

Section 328 has a twitter poll asking who San Jose should get next to make the team more unlikeable. Slava Voynov, Mike Danton, Patrick Kane or other.

Mike Danton. Wow. He played college hockey in Canada and then professionally in Europe after being released from prison.

Scratch that...Hoffman already flipped to Florida in another trade...was a Shark for about 55 minutes or so!

Panthers get Hoffman and a 2018 7th rounder for a 2019 2nd and a 2018 4th and 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back