• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

The Canes may have caught a break courtesy of the Rangers. Kevin Shattenkirk is out indefinitely with a torn meniscus that will require surgery.

Canes have also thus far caught a break on their sabbatical week. The Flyers and Isles haven't made much of a move in front of them in the wild card standings. Meanwhile Detroit, Florida and Montreal haven't made up much if any ground behind them. It's basically the same spot they were in last weekend with only Montreal having a game tonight.

I mean ... not the biggest deal in the world with no news on Aho yet, but ... hey. It could have been worse.

Watched the Hawks Lightning game last night. The Hawks kept on doing that skate the puck up hard to push the D back, then pass it back to the trailing player move we like to do on PP entry. Except the lightning would put a guy or two back behind the play and yet the Hawks kept on doing it even though it resulted in 2 really ugly turnovers and scoring chances which - their goalie who was a third rounder they second stringer made amazing stops on. So it's not just the Canes that make those kind of WTF moves.

Watched the Hawks Lightning game last night. The Hawks kept on doing that skate the puck up hard to push the D back, then pass it back to the trailing player move we like to do on PP entry. Except the lightning would put a guy or two back behind the play and yet the Hawks kept on doing it even though it resulted in 2 really ugly turnovers and scoring chances which - their goalie who was a third rounder they second stringer made amazing stops on. So it's not just the Canes that make those kind of WTF moves.

Almost every team in the league uses 2 trailers on the PP. I saw Vegas do it on Sunday too. It's the craziest thing, it seems like it kills all the forward momentum as 3 guys wait at the blue line for the puck to come back from the defensive zone.

I talked to a scout about that move. Originally, the idea was sending the puck back would cause the defense to get stationary. But it seems like teams are sending even farther back, which means even if the d gets stationary, they can be back in motion by the time gets back to them.

I don't get it

I talked to a scout about that move. Originally, the idea was sending the puck back would cause the defense to get stationary. But it seems like teams are sending even farther back, which means even if the d gets stationary, they can be back in motion by the time gets back to them.

I don't get it

It's one thing to send it to the defensive side of the neutral zone. It's another thing to send it to the defensive face off dots.

The power play drop pass was a great innovation when teams first started using it. Like virtually all strategic innovations, however, teams innovate on ways to counteract it. Right now, the overwhelming majority of teams are using it, but I suspect that won't be the case a year from now.

Remember the left-wing lock?

https://theathletic.com/223402/2018...ily-get-to-experience-his-passion-for-hockey/

Good article on Eric Staal returning to the all-star game. He touches on his time in Carolina. Glad he is doing well and I think his success in Minny is directly related to not being the highest paid player, captain and face of a franchise. Some guys can’t handle that and perform better in supporting roles. Phil Kessel is another example of someone excelling when the weight is lifted from them .

Flames put Jagr on waivers. If he clears, he’ll be unconditionally waived so he can go back to play in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Canes need scoring help. Can Jagr still do that?

He would fit right in with Peters system. Jagr is still a puck possession monster, but can't score very effectively given his age. He will fit right in!

(I am joking, and think Jagr is headed back to Europe to wind down his 1st ballot hall of fame career)

I am at the point it's time to flip one of these defensive prospects or players (Faulk) to get better. Sitting on these guys without any improvement on the other side of the puck or in goal is just a misuse of assests. And if these guys can't get a return, then we are sorely in need of a GM and a scouting department.

I am at the point it's time to flip one of these defensive prospects or players (Faulk) to get better. Sitting on these guys without any improvement on the other side of the puck or in goal is just a misuse of assests. And if these guys can't get a return, then we are sorely in need of a GM and a scouting department.

Well said, how long are you going to sit and wait with the same results and production or actively try something new with hopes of a different result. It's past the time to try and make a trade to shake things up a bit with this roster, but you have to at the very least show the fan base you're trying...

The Islanders are moving ... back to the Nassau Coliseum. They will play 12 home games in Uniondale next year, and if it goes well, they'll split the season between Barclays and The Coliseum until the Belmont arena is ready. I guess they decided they need to start courting their bread-and-butter fanbase again.

Back