• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

If Lindholm get's ample opportunity to play RW with Monahan and Gaudreau he's likely to put up at least 50 points in this coming season and Treliving will be declaring himself a genius for ridding the Flames of guys who don't give a crap like Dougie Hamilton and bringing in young high end talent like Lindholm and then having the foresight to lock them up long term before they start to reach their full potential. You can almost write that article now and then just spring it in January when Lindholm has 25 assists already.

Not saying that trade doesn't end up good for us, just saying that I expect Lindholm to look a whole lot better if he is playing RW with Monahan and Gaudreau (how could he not?)

Lindy is the kind of guy where it's always fairly easy to justify his ice time. He's going to have a fair number of nice plays. He's going to be responsible defensively. He's going to look good out there because he's a good athlete who is positional responsible. You've got to dig to see the issues ... slow starts in EVERY pro season, muffed chances out the ears, passivity in the offensive zone, effective physical play only rarely engaged ... just enough detachment that it makes you wonder if he actually gives a crap. He's the kind of guy that a GM can generally defend ... or rip. He's Marty Gelinas without the super human effort level.

The Canes should have gone "all in" in burning the bridge to the past mode and done an RFA offer sheet to Tristan Jarry from Pittsburgh. JR would have loved it!

He likely could have been poached for a little more than what the Canes gave Mrazek with better upside as the Pens don't have the cap space. I really don't get the whole no poaching thing that all GM's seem to abide by. Seems like something the players union will want to bring up in next round of negotiations. Makes for a boring off-season and the NBA is far more entertaining in the RFA market.

Its still not too late for some team to play this game with Tristan Jarry. The problem is getting the offer sheet uncomfortably high enough that the Pens might consider not matching. The Pens can game their roster at this point such that they can make room for, say, a $2 million per AAV for Jarry if they were forced to do so. I can't imagine any team being willing to pay Jarry that kind of coin. That would cost the team just a 3rd round pick in compensation, but then you are paying Jarry $2 million per.

I would love it if team were more aggressive with a situation like this, but it would require some team to risk way too much money on a guy who is still pretty unproven to be even worth pursuing. I do think the NHLPA should plan on trying to bargain a better RFA system (better for them) that encourages more offer sheets and player movement. However, its not all bad for the NHL players. The giant '2nd contracts' for lots of years and dollars exist in part to 'protect' teams from having their players poached (or an attempt made to poach). So even the existing system is working out for the NHLPA.

Last edited:
I agree with CM on Jarry. He just hasn't shown enough at the NHL level to justify a $2 million or more offer sheet, and that's about where you'd have to go to make the Pens blink. I know he was competent in net last season, but that was behind a very good team. Other than that, he's got that one super good AHL season and some OK seasons. I mean, he's fine and he'll probably be a good NHL keeper one day, but is he ready to be even a half-time starter for a not so good team? I kinda doubt it, but that's what you'd need him to be right out of the box to justify the kind of coin it would take to get him.

Its still not too late for some team to play this game with Tristan Jarry. The problem is getting the offer sheet uncomfortably high enough that the Pens might consider not matching. The Pens can game their roster at this point such that they can make room for, say, a $2 million per AAV for Jarry if they were forced to do so. I can't imagine any team being willing to pay Jarry that kind of coin. That would cost the team just a 3rd round pick in compensation, but then you are paying Jarry $2 million per.

I would love it if team were more aggressive with a situation like this, but it would require some team to risk way too much money on a guy who is still pretty unproven to be even worth pursuing. I do think the NHLPA should plan on trying to bargain a better RFA system (better for them) that encourages more offer sheets and player movement. However, its not all bad for the NHL players. The giant '2nd contracts' for lots of years and dollars exist in part to 'protect' teams from having their players poached (or an attempt made to poach). So even the existing system is working out for the NHLPA.

Jarry is the type of young goalie on the cusp of being NHL ready that the Canes should simply try to acquire via trade. Throw the Pens one of the Canes goaltending prospects like Hellvig or Booth along with a prospect or pick and see if JR bites. I’m not sold on Ned quite yet, Jarry would give you that insurance policy if Darling or Mrazek continue to be disasters in net. Ned to me is still at least 2 years away and Jarry is not going to steal Matt Murray’s job away anytime soon.

Has anyone offered an RFA a big deal since Fedorov?

There have been 8 offer sheets agreed in the 20 years since that one ... all matched but one. Apparently we all forgot the three picks and the oil tanker full of money that Edmonton wasted prying Dustin Penner away from Anaheim. Notables among those who had offers matched are Ryan O'Reilly in 16 (Calgary), Shea Weber in 12 (Philly), and David Backes in 08 (Vancouver). The rest are Ryan Kessler, Tomas Vanek, Steve Bernier and Nik Hjalmarsson. Bottom line - aside from Weber, those offer sheets mostly led to good to decent (but not great) players getting paid about what they would have gotten in free agency a few years early. Only Penner and kinda/sorta Bernier were flops afterwards. So, much ado about very little.

Has anyone offered an RFA a big deal since Fedorov?

I'm not sure what your idea of big is, but Kevin Lowe did the offer sheet on Dustin Penner. The Ducks refused to match and Penner earned a five year contract that paid him over $4 million per year. Brian Burke was pissed with Lowe for that move-- not for only that he did it, but the way it escalated RFA salaries going forward. There was also that Philly offer sheet for Shea Weber, but Weber wasn't an RFA-- he was heading to market as an UFA and Nashville matched it. Now, that was big money. The Oilers also tried to poach Tomas Vanek from Buffalo and as I recall, Buffalo matched that offer. I looked that up and Vanek was paid $50 million for 7 years. Just curious though, in retrospect, would Buffalo had rather had all of those Edmonton first rounders??

Jacob Trouba and the Jets are awaiting the results of their arbitration hearing. Should be announced today unless they agree to a deal prior.

Jacob Trouba and the Jets are awaiting the results of their arbitration hearing. Should be announced today unless they agree to a deal prior.

Trouba gets a one-year, $5.5 million deal. He will be an RFA with arbitration rights at the end of his new deal.

Brooks Orpik signed a 1 year $1 million deal with the Caps.

Interesting. He signed for less than an offer he rejected before they cut him adrift. He must have gotten humbled by that ... and presumably from the lack of other teams beating down his door with offers.

Interesting. He signed for less than an offer he rejected before they cut him adrift. He must have gotten humbled by that ... and presumably from the lack of other teams beating down his door with offers.

They couldn’t have made him an offer, he was under contract with the Caps for the 2018-19 season. They traded him to Colorado with Grubauer. The Avs bought him out, so the Caps get a player who was on their roster last year for a $4 million savings against the cap.

They couldn’t have made him an offer, he was under contract with the Caps for the 2018-19 season. They traded him to Colorado with Grubauer. The Avs bought him out, so the Caps get a player who was on their roster last year for a $4 million savings against the cap.

Ugh ... my logic circuitry is fouled today.

Jarome Iginla will announce his retirement in Calgary on July 30. He finishes with 625 goals, tied with Joe Sakic for 15th all-time, and 1,300 points. He didn’t play last season, finishing his career with 61 games in Colorado and 19 games in LA in 2016-17. He won 2 Maurice Richard trophies, 1 Art Ross, 1 Lester Pearson and 1 King Clancy.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/iginla-to-announce-retirement/c-299581992

Honestly, I thought he had retired already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back