• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the biggest factor is Tampa is good. You don't see top players taking less money to play for the Panthers. Hopefully we can capitalize on that as well, but we already have a couple of pretty huge bargains too in Kadri and Rielly.

Yep I think we'll see that ... that said, I don't think Kadri and Rielly signed for little because we were good ... cause we weren't. :)

I sure hope players (esp vets) would sign here for cheap cause we'll be THAT good.

I also think Tampa has indeed managed their cap very well. Callahan is pretty much the only bad contract on their book, and he's trade-able imo.

I think it’s a fair number given his situation, and I assume he too is buying into the take less to win theory.

But I’m not sure how TB keeps together this roster after the next two seasons. Point, Sergachev, Gourde, and Vasilevsky all need new deals that will pay them substantial dough.

I really can’t imagine how TB takes on Karlsson now too.

The bright side is this will almost surely impact the next contracts for the big 3 downward.

In terms of Lou, I was fairly happy with him here outside of the contracts he doled out to Martin, Zaitsev and Andersen. That said, it now seems apparent that the people around him prevented more ugly moves like he's making with the Islanders. Phew! Good on Shanny for pulling the plug on his tenure and appointing Dubas in his place.

In terms of Tampa, yep, **** them for stealing our jersey colours. That should have never been allowed by the league. **** the NHL too for allowing this.

Yep, it was a good couple weeks before JT signed with the Leafs. I remember the Habs board trying to figure out a way to deal Pacioretty+ for Panarin when the news came out.

and i think somebody said they would not even do max pac for panarin straight up
lewl

Also, in Long Island news, Lou Lamoriello signed Ross Johnston to a 4 year NHL deal @ $1M per season today.

If you're like me, your first question is "what's a 'Ross Johnston'?"

Well, he's a 24 year-old, 6'4", 235lb AHL enforcer who plays on the wing:

wBZJA2o.jpg

...I think it's safe to say Shanahan kept Lamoriello on a tight leash while he was in Toronto.

the really shanny plan was to ruin this islanders (even more)

ruthless

long game but it appears to be working

Who is better - Kucherov or Matthews? Also, who should/will be paid more?

Matthews has the 3rd best P1/60 in the NHL over the last 2 seasons (behind only McJesus and Malkin) and is already a stud #1C in very tough usage, so yeah, all day every day.

With that said, classically you would assume that Kucherov would make more as the majority of this contract is UFA years. But the McJesus and Eichel contracts have changed the landscape for stud first time RFA's, so odds are Matthews ends up on Eichel money or more.

I think the #'s for the Matthews contract is already set, there's no point in further discussing that.

Between McDavdi's $12.5M x 8, Eichel's $10M x 8, and Tavares setting the bar on the team at $11M AAV, I don't see Matthews making anything but $10.5 - $11M x 8.

It's Marner and Nylander's contract that are more interesting imo.

Nylander comes off a 'poor season' and this is the best time to sign him imo. Pastrnak signed $6.66M x 6 last summer, and Nylander does not exactly have Pastrnak number, I think $6.5M AAV is very reasonable. Marner, OTOH, is anyone's guess.

Tough luck ... the cap has gone up too.

I'm hoping $6.5M x 8 for Nylander (and buy off some UFA years from Willy) and same contract for Marner ... Marner can get more, but here's hoping he would take a little less $$ to keep the trio together.

2yrs

Matthews (21): 144gms, ES 15:30 (A-), 2.49p60, 2.34p160, 51.3cf% (+0.7), 52.6xgf% (+2.2) / PP 2:19, 6.29p60, 4.49p160
Kucherov (25): 154gms, ES 16:11 (A-), 2.67p60, 2.05p160, 53.6cf% (+3.0), 53.2xgf% (+2.2) / PP 3:26, 7.63p60, 5.55p160

Last year only

Matthews (20): 62gms, ES 15:57 (A+), 3.03p60, 2.71p160, 50.9cf% (+0.4), 53.3xgf% (+2.9) / PP 2:09, 5.89p60, 3.63p160
Kucherov (24): 80gms, ES 16:18 (A-), 2.91p60, 2.24p160, 52.8cf% (+0.8), 52.0xgf% (-1.3) / PP 3:31, 7.82p60, 5.21p160

IMO Matthews is flat out better, by a healthy margin, and then you can add in age and position on top of that to widen that gap further.

I'm hoping $6.5M x 8 for Nylander (and buy off some UFA years from Willy) and same contract for Marner ... Marner can get more, but here's hoping he would take a little less $$ to keep the trio together.
I hope so...but I wonder if he's not the most likely of the trio to just bet on himself, and play out next season before hammering out his new deal.

In Nylander's case, that's not an option for him. Last season was his "prove it" season, and he's now a restricted free agent. And based on his production the past two seasons, he doesn't really have a reasonable argument to be making more than David Pastrnak or Nik Ehlers are making on their deals.

With Matthews, it's pretty simple. He'll get between $10-11M on as long a term as he's willing to sign.

Then with Marner, if he was to sign this summer, based on his overall production so far he'd be in line for a contract that'd be slightly ahead of what Nylander will get.

But if he thinks the way he played in the second half of the season & playoffs (after Babcock finally put him with Marleau/Kadri, and stopped ****ing around with playing Mitch either on the 4th line or with JVRzak) is more indicative of his true abilities, and with the knowledge that he's set to start the season on John Tavares' wing this coming season...I really can't figure how it'd be the right move for Mitch personally to sign this summer. He'd have to be pretty risk-averse, and/or pretty charitable towards the Leafs to sign now.

Remember that Mitch is the local kid though and is already parlaying his fame into endorsement stuff. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was team friendly.

I think it'd be unlikely/rare for guys like Nylander or Marner to buy off the full 8 years. Settling for a 6 year deal is probably fair on both sides - eats a couple UFA years, but still sets them up as a FA before age 30. You'd expect they should both come in under Pastrnak's mark, so 6-6.5 apiece sounds about right. If you wait to next year and Marner goes PPG playing with Tavares, then that would cost him a little more.

IMO, if you want the 8 year deal, you probably need to add ~1M. So, 8x7.5, for example, would probably be a fair deal for both sides. Whether that's a better deal for you guys than settling for a 6 year deal, hard to say.

If Marner puts up an 80-85 point season, after coming in at 60 and 70 points his first two years, what is to stop him from legitimately asking for and deserving the $9.5m that Kucherov just got?

Facts are facts, and Marner has been flat out better than Nylander so far, especially if you take age, linemates, and playoffs performances so far. He should get more, but if we sign him right now that "more" shouldn't exceed $500k to $1M per year. Letting it slide to next season is super dangerous. Even though I think Mitch wants to be a Leaf for life and won't be a pig, we really have to put this to bed this summer.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Leafs and Matty are already quietly negotiating, so I have to believe they're talking to Marner too. Our guys know what they're doing, so I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if we wake up one morning and hear we signed all three, just like we woke up to the Kucherov news today.

The market is already set. Matthews market value is somewhere between Eichel and McDavid.

For Nylander and Marner, all of Scheifele, Gaudrau, Monahan, Ehlers, Pastrnak, Forsberg got 6-8 years for $6-7 mill on their second deals over the last 2-3 years. Maybe add 6% for the cap going up. Marner could choose to wait, if he puts up a huge year he could put himself in Tarasenko/Draisaitl/Eichel territory.

The only question is will these guys take a discount.

Thankfully, I think Nylander is pretty set at around $6.5m. The negotiation is probably over term - maybe Willy only wants 5-6 years or so, while the team surely wants 7-8 years.

Marner is the wildcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back